Wish I didnt have to take co-codomol

Posted , 6 users are following.

Im sure alot of you can feel my pain,

Im 18 and have been taking co-codomol for 4 years for chronic back pain, I used to take codine at 16 years old, but became addicted. Now im on 8 co-codomol a day and I cant even relax without taking it. Sometimes I almost feel like it makes my pain worse.

I just feel depressed and wish I didnt have to take it, now im taking that much some days I feel like it dosnt even work.

Dont get me wrong it give me great dreams, but its not worth it.sad

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I've been on them now 5 years. It's not easy, I went on hols recently and had them taken off me at airport. I managed to get by with tramadol for pain but side effects of not having them were horrific! 

One thing I have tried is going cold turkey as long as you can stick it and then taking one or two to ease the side effects.

Keep your chin up, hard going I know but try not and take more than you already are as it can escalate very easily as it did in my case and took a long time to cut the dosage down.

• Posted

Hello All so. I take codeine for arthritis. Could you possibly tell me which country you travelled to that took your tablets off you? I travel quite a lot so would be interested. Private message me if you'd prefer. Many thanks
    • Posted

Hi Matron,

i travelled to South East Asia from Heathrow, through Bangkok to Cambodia. Somewhere along the way customs opened my case and removed them. 

Im not sure exactly where but I would recommend carrying your meds on your person as I did not realise this until my final destination.

i could not get any codeine based products in Thailand or Cambodia, very strict on them although could freely buy tramadol and other stronger meds.

it is not illegal, as far as I'm aware but I had mine removed from case with a chit from customs somewhere in transit in suvanabhumi airport!

• Posted

To be honest Alleo I always carry all my meds in my hand luggage. It sounds as though someone detected the tablets but probably kept them for their own use otherwise they would have questioned you.
  • Posted

Hello chloeanne. You have all my sympathies. I take codeine for arthritis and dread to think how I would cope without it. Have you spoken to your GP? I know someone in a similar situation as yours. Her GP was wonderful and helped her by reducing the doseage very very slowly. He prescribes the medication so he must be willing to help you with something that is controlling your life
    • Posted

I know we shouldnt say anything bad about doctors on here, but alot of mine are horrible to me. I go to them telling them how much pain im in and they just give me more and sometimes send me home crying. 

Im scared that if i reduce my intake i wont be able to control the pain. 

This is why I want to know where my pain is coming from so i can control it without co-codomol but my GP has denied me a MRI scanrolleyes 

Feel like im at a dead end

• Posted

chloeanne that is awful. I totally agree with Alleo. Change your doctor if necessary. that's not caring they are lazy and don't want to take the time to care!
  • Posted

That is awful Chloeanne! I would demand a second opinion! You cannot be denied medical treatment. Ask to speak to practice manger if you don't get an answer from a new doc! 

it took me three years to find a doctor I got on with and could talk to openly. 

They changed my doc today as he immigrated, I don't like the new one! But will give her a chance!

Please ask as it will only get you down dealing with pain and not being happy at same time.

• Posted

I will, tomorrow ill call and ask to speak to a new doctor about my situation. Do you recon if I went to the open hours in pain and told them because could reffer me for a MRI?

Thankyou for your advice x

• Posted

Hello. I don't think the out of hours service could refer you. Certainly not in my area. Do you have a surgery in your area that is a drop in? We have one and they are really good when you can't get an appointment with your own GP but patients use it for convenience as well. GP's there can refer.
    • Posted

The Dr probably wouldn't refer you for a MRI because it costs the NHS

£15.0000 everytime its used......which

Is terrible as it sounds like having one

Would benefit you!!

I would seek a second and third opinion!

• Posted

Hi Chloeanne,

sorry for delay in reply as I was out.

One thing I know is that they cannot take co codamol of you after being on it over 6 months as you are technically dependent on it for not only your pain but your body needs it now!

Whether you believe me or not, I ended up taking up to 50 a day after my tolerance for them exceeded. The doc didn't believe me when I told them but I was taking that amount being addicted to them . It took me a long time to reduce this amount and I found myself buying them and washing them to reduce the effects of the paracetamol on my liver. It was a real hard time craving the codeine. I'm am not too bad now but still need what is technically a fix. This was the result of a serious car accident where I was on morphine, tramadol and then co codamol. Your body can build up a serious tolerance to them which would kill a normal person taking them for the first time. It then had a serious effect on my mental health resulting in me taking anti depressants and sleeping tablets

Please don't take more than the prescribed amount as speaking from experience you can end up taking a hell of a lot more than. 8 a day.

def speak to your doc or practice manager for a second opinion for an MRI to find the source of pain as you are young and don't want to be on these the rest of your life.

i found physio helped with me but only for a short period and an operation maybe will have to happen in the future. 

I don't know what you are on these for and don't like to ask but that is my story!

If I can help any other way pm me if you wish if you don't want to talk on open forum.

Chin up as I said, hopefully you will get sorted soon.

• Posted

chloeanne you have so much support from this forum so keep us informed.Alleo's advice is so good. Take care and as Alleo said chin up x
    • Posted

Thanks Matron.

Even reading over my own comments is quite hard. I just hope Chloeanne gets the help she needs. 

I will def say a wee prayer for you both. Codeine is def the devil in disguise. Does what it's supposed to but they don't tell you after six months you're gonna be hooked on an over the counter pill. There should def be strickter regs in place with co codamol! I wish I'd never have taken it.

needs must though, but just please be careful!

• Posted

Thankyou guys.

Im in college now and Im having to take co-codomol and I just wish I didnt have to. Im ashamed to say that I took 3 and a half to get to sleep lastnight. I was just in that much pain. I used to have a drug addicted to street drugs so I know how dangerous it can be.

Im going to have to go to the doctors to get some more, but with this online repete priscription thing it makes it so much easier and just so much more dangerousrolleyes

Hope you both are okay

• Posted

Chloeanne, don't ever feel ashamed, you have nothing to be ashamed about. It is an illness, it is something that is really hard to control. You would be very surprised the amount of people who are dependent on prescription drugs and who use them recreationally also. When I came clean about it to my family I found out my granny was on co codamol for 40 years! If the doc is giving you them for pain, you obviously need them, you would not be getting them for nothing at your age! Please try your doc again and try for a second opinion!

If it's any consolation I've just taken a handful aswell for back pain and was also feeling anxious there this morning for a bit, it takes the edge of when I feel like that. 

Another thing, give yourself a huge pat on the back for getting up and going to college, there's days I just don't bother getting up, but fair play to you! Keep the chin up, Matron and me are here if you need a chat and I keep an eye on my iPad 24/7 so even in middle of night if you need a chat I'm sure one of us can be here.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.