Wish me luck...

Posted , 6 users are following.

For tomorrow I have an appointment with Addaction. Those that know my story, will say, why the hell are you going there?

Well, I need to have followed the process and given everybody their chance. My GP has said no go to Campral, incidently, they changed it from 'we can not' supply this drug, to 'will not' we don't have the experience, once I had the nice man from the area prescribing committee confirm in writing that the Red Amber Green are guidelines only and the GP can issue the medication if they want.

They have pushed me back to Addaction, they also did not comment on me perhaps having an LFT or similar tests first, which I suggested.

Now I contacted my head office contact at Addaction, explained what had happened (relapse) and asked if he would make an appointment for me (at a different branch) and to explain my situation to  the branch.

Two things are going to happen, Addaction will come up with the goods and most of the story will end there, although I will still take issue up with some people, who I don't think performed or supported me.

Secondley, I will get the usual brush off and that is where the fun will start.I will have tried my GP, I will have tried the local health authority's registered recommended alcohol addiction service. I will then go to the local A&E and tell them I am about to start self medicating on medicine that I have received over the internet. Their reaction will be, you don't want to do that, but we can't help you anyway, go back and see your GP (you can see a pattern of frustration building up here).

At that point I will say, that I have asked for a referral from them to the hepatologist from my GP (which has been granted) but this will take too long.

I don't for one minute expect the A&E to do anything except, that they will have to log my visit and send it to my GP, so it will be on my records. Secondly it will be just about the only avenue left to me.

At that point, I can then start to take the Campral I have bought, because I have now got to the stage, that although I detoxed and it's three weeks, my body is now going into its crave mode.

That is when the letters of official complaint come out - did you know, that if you use the word offficial, it has a specific meaning within the NHS, as does complaint. If you use the word complaint, they have to deal with it in a certain way, if you use the word official, it goes to the chief execs dept. to be followed up. I learnt this when I sent a letter to the stroke rehab hospital, I mmediately said I retract the word official, I want it dealt with in house, I just don't want it swept under the carpet.

However, I think the word official would be used in the right context here, and it will be amusing to see people passing around this hot potato. Where they try to pass the blame or look for a gap where I did not follow advice given or try all available routes. Only trouble for them is I have, I've tried my GP, I've tried Addaction, I've clarified it with the APC, I've clarified it with the GMC and I have tried it with the A&E at my local hospital.

I just have to confirm today exactly who my local health authority is and a senior contact and then that's ready.

So tomorrow, I truly hope Addaction have lsitened to my thoughts given to them last year and I walk away with my medication or authorisation for my GP to issue it and I can put this behind me. But my gut instinct is telling me something different, it is telling me, I will be opening that blister pack that has been sitting there since first thing last Friday morning. And typing out letters.

0 likes, 34 replies

34 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Well, I had the meeting with the doctor, my case worker was there (I never ended up having a separate meeting with her afterwards) and another lady I had not seen before - I will say one thing, every person working there (other than the doctor) is female. I'm not complaining, personally if I have to talk about something that I am perhaps a little uncomfortable with, I would always prefer to talk to a female. I just find it strange that it is an all female environment.

The doctor didn't have any notes from my GP, which was strange, as I know they had been requested. I will have to folllow it up. So he was working from the list of medications that I am taking and made an educated guess about my condition. He was pretty much spot on, as far as I know about myself and the seriousness about it.

I think he may have asked that, because a) he always asks it, b) I might have come across as flippant, I don't mean to, I just mean to have a positive attitude, rather than become morose and depressed, because I have enough problems without those. And I love dry sarcasm.

After some more chat and questions, they asked to breathalyse me, which kind of surprised me and took me aback. I thought if they were going to do anything like that, it would have happened in one of the earlier sessions.

Of course I said yes, because I had nothing to worrry about, I don't know what would have happened had I tested positive, I will ask next time, but that should be a warning to anyone else.

He commented on diazepam not being the right medicine for detox, he said it should be - I think it was something beginning with P, and then followed up by another drug. I just said, so diazepam now, or I should have waited 3 months and carried on drinking, knowing my condition (which he had just spent the last 10 minutes telling me how bad it was, to which I was agreeing), of course he knew I'd got him and cornered him, and all he could say was, no, of course not, to carry on drinking would not have been good for you. I just gave him a smile to say, look in your own back yard, that's where the problem is. To be followed up with, well if they had listened to me and how serious my situation was, and acted upon it, I would have listened to them.

At that point, he wrote out the prescription for Campral. A month's supply split into two weeks. I picked up two weeks today, the pharmacy has the prescription (at the hospital where this Addaction is based) for the further two weeks. I can just go and collect it, the case worker has asked me to pop in and see her when I collect, not as a condition of the meds, but because she is going on maternity leave and probably wants to introduce me to her replacement.

I then see the doctor in a month and meanwhile they are going to add my prescriptions to my others so I can pick them up altogether.

BTW, if you do pay for your prescriptions (as I do, well I have a pre-pay card, but what I mean is, I'm not over 65 or on benefits) just like any other medication, they are not provided FOC, just in case anyone is going down that route, take money with you.

• Posted

This is marvelous! So glad you got what you needed..because they don't realize all the DO is stress us out and make us want to DRINK.

Question diazepam is a benzo....did you say they took that from you?

Did they replace it with another benzo so that you don't suffer withdrawal..which would include great anxiety?

• Posted

No, I didn't mention that I had a box left. If you saw me, you would realise that I am not someone that you attempt to remove something from without permission.

He dis ask me if I was still on diazepam, which I found a bit strange, as that would have been for six weeks, and I've never heard of anyone needing diazepam for more than a week to detox. (I'm talking alcohol here, not people who are hooked on benzos or take them for anxiety/depression).

However he did tell me that diazepam was not the right drug for detox (he was kind of tut tutting in a dismissive way) which is when  I said, would you have thought it better for me to carry on drinking for another 3 months (what the other branch of Addaction were going to do). He said, no.

He did mention another drug for detox for a week, and then a different drug for about (I think) another week. I've made a note to ask him about this when I see him next time - I was a bit fixated on my Campral prescription today.

So, the outcome is, I detoxed with a benzo 6 weeks ago (given by my GP), it took me four days, most of the tablets on the first two days, with lesser quantities on the third and fourth day.

They would not prescribe anything further, so I went through Addaction, who have put me on Campral, an anti-craving drug. Because I have been on alcohol for so long, on a daily basis, my body and mind doesn't just let go, once I'm detoxed. It still craves it, even though I'm sober, it's just been used to it for so long, it will need anything from 3 months up to a year, to stop craving it.

• Posted

Good result which gives us all hope. What a journey this has been for you. Some one should make a documentary about this and why so many heavy drinkers give up. And therefore suffer a premature death. It's unbelievable really.

My friend I meantioned whose been given campral and other meds has to be breathalized too or they won't let her have them. 

So pleased it's all worked out now smile

• Posted

Well, I hope that it gives others hope, rather than puts them off. I feel that people need to have an understnading about alcohol, what it does to them and what are the best meds to combat alcohol.

I feel if you go armed with this, set out your stall and issue your demands (in a non confrontation innocuous but firm way) and why, you are far more likely to get a result.

They may try to advise you of another method, and that might be better for the person, but ask why. I think if people go in with the facts they are in a far better position to negotiate.

They mentioned group therapy again, I said no thanks, it's not for me. They said, oh but it's very helpful, the shutters came down at that point and they decided to stop trying to convince me. I just heard Kumbaya My Lord in my head again and the sould of clapping.

• Posted

I like Kumbya meetings...LOL.....Can't you tell how I talk so much!

• Posted

Group cuddles and listening to other people's tales of woe, doesn't do it for me.

I am more of a loner, I've relapsed like most others and I got myself in this position in the first place. But I had a plan to get myself out of it, it albeit slowly, it seems to be working. But I like to keep a sense of humour and positivety about it, yeah I complain ocassionally, but I'm just letting of steam at my frustration with the system.

Tell them to play George Harrison and My Sweet Lord, instead of Kumbaya My Lord next time. Put on some beads (and sandals for the real experience), hold hands and start swaying to the music.

Also, sing a Kumbaya for absent friends (me).

• Posted

I can go both ways..meaning I like being a loner sometimes...but if I chose to be around people I enjoy being around people.  I was very scared and lonely when I first stoppped 10 years ago....and forced myself to join AA. 

It wasn't AA that made me make friends...there were just PEOPLE around like me that didn't want to be there...and we became friends.  I met a really good friend there...and had some laughs...at the times when I didn't know where to go and didn't have any REAL LIFE friends because everyone tired of my drinking.

But, I'm just saying that is MY STORY....I'm not trying at all to convince anyone to go...and it is very clear...there is no convincing you...LOL

• Posted

I'm very like you Misssy,as in I've made a very good friend in AA and we both hated some meetings and get a lot from a few meetings. It does get you out the house and stuff and you learn stuff along the way. I've been tonight to one,was okayish. 

Tho I've never been to one where they sing Kumbaya RHGB..lol. Just the serenity prayer is said at the end. Bye for now xx

• Posted

Perhaps you went on the day that they were getting the Harlem Gospel Choir in, to sing Oh Happy Day.....

There's plenty of happy clapping with that one.

Reminds me of New York 2000, we took some guests (at my old company) for the Thanskgiving weekned (long weekend) as a thank you (bit of pre Christmas shopping went on I think). The whole trip was organised and on Sunday morning, we were taken to Harlem to hear a gospel choir. Quite upbeat, not like the dreary old stuff we have here.

I managed to get in the Twin Towers, 'cause they were still standing back then.

• Posted

Ouch....be careful RHGB.  I think you might be treading on some toes and overstepping the mark.

P

• Posted

Oh, I'm sure PF will put me in my place if I've pushed it too far.

I think most of the regulars know I have a warped sense of humour and an aversion to group therapy.

• Posted

Serious stuff..wow being in the twin towers..

non serious..the only happy clappy I've been to is when I had my daughter christened 18 years ago. This was our local church. My sister and bruv in law nearly wet themselves when we had to sing hymns with congregation waving arms in air and we all had to hug our neighbours!! Sorry if I'm offending anyone. 

But what sort of meeting do they have in Warwickshire ( think that's where you're from?) Never been to an AA meeting you describe..? smile

• Posted

I do have to add that someone said at meeting tonight, but I have heard it a lot at meetings before..."don't pick up the first drink" ..it's that simple. Well, I'd never realised that that's all there is to it. Now why hadn't I thought have that before? I could have saved myself all these years of chaos and destruction to myself and my family.    It's that simple! 

Sorry but me and friend just have to laugh and joke at that on a very regular basis..lol. Someone did say that aa was important for sobriety but someone dated and preferred NA message. Which I agree. 

Anyway from miss insomniac that gets max 3 hours sleep at the mo x

• Posted

Well, most of my sarcasm is aimed at group therapy, not the AA, they just happen to do group therapy as their method. It's just every time I go to a new Addaction, they try to sell me the group therapy. A simple no thanks, it's not for me, never does it. I get the, 'it's very good, it helps a lot of people, you'd be surprised' 'no I won't, it's not for me, one to one works for me'.

Even the bloody psychiatrist at the stroke rehab at a go at selling me group therapy and acupuncture.

The AA connection came into it, when I brielfy looked them up last year. I went to look at the local venues, I honestly had no idea how connected to god it was and that was because of its background. Nearly every venue is a church, I go to church for weddings and funerals, that's it.

Then I looked at the 12 step plan. I found it hard to take in the amount of referral to god. I have no problem with religion, I'm not religious, but if it works for other people, then good luck to them, we are all individuals. But I do think that pehaps they should look at bringing it a little more into the 21st century.

Changing back the subject, I went back to the States the following year (holiday, not business) Oct 2001. Into LA, to Vegas and out of Frisco whilst doing the other tourist stops on the way. Went with a colleague from work and the wives.

It was so quiet in the cities, no one went out at nights, reastaurants were shutting at 8:30pm. Bars, shopkeepers etc. were always so happy to see us, they were really struggling for customers.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.