Wish me luck...

Posted , 6 users are following.

For tomorrow I have an appointment with Addaction. Those that know my story, will say, why the hell are you going there?

Well, I need to have followed the process and given everybody their chance. My GP has said no go to Campral, incidently, they changed it from 'we can not' supply this drug, to 'will not' we don't have the experience, once I had the nice man from the area prescribing committee confirm in writing that the Red Amber Green are guidelines only and the GP can issue the medication if they want.

They have pushed me back to Addaction, they also did not comment on me perhaps having an LFT or similar tests first, which I suggested.

Now I contacted my head office contact at Addaction, explained what had happened (relapse) and asked if he would make an appointment for me (at a different branch) and to explain my situation to  the branch.

Two things are going to happen, Addaction will come up with the goods and most of the story will end there, although I will still take issue up with some people, who I don't think performed or supported me.

Secondley, I will get the usual brush off and that is where the fun will start.I will have tried my GP, I will have tried the local health authority's registered recommended alcohol addiction service. I will then go to the local A&E and tell them I am about to start self medicating on medicine that I have received over the internet. Their reaction will be, you don't want to do that, but we can't help you anyway, go back and see your GP (you can see a pattern of frustration building up here).

At that point I will say, that I have asked for a referral from them to the hepatologist from my GP (which has been granted) but this will take too long.

I don't for one minute expect the A&E to do anything except, that they will have to log my visit and send it to my GP, so it will be on my records. Secondly it will be just about the only avenue left to me.

At that point, I can then start to take the Campral I have bought, because I have now got to the stage, that although I detoxed and it's three weeks, my body is now going into its crave mode.

That is when the letters of official complaint come out - did you know, that if you use the word offficial, it has a specific meaning within the NHS, as does complaint. If you use the word complaint, they have to deal with it in a certain way, if you use the word official, it goes to the chief execs dept. to be followed up. I learnt this when I sent a letter to the stroke rehab hospital, I mmediately said I retract the word official, I want it dealt with in house, I just don't want it swept under the carpet.

However, I think the word official would be used in the right context here, and it will be amusing to see people passing around this hot potato. Where they try to pass the blame or look for a gap where I did not follow advice given or try all available routes. Only trouble for them is I have, I've tried my GP, I've tried Addaction, I've clarified it with the APC, I've clarified it with the GMC and I have tried it with the A&E at my local hospital.

I just have to confirm today exactly who my local health authority is and a senior contact and then that's ready.

So tomorrow, I truly hope Addaction have lsitened to my thoughts given to them last year and I walk away with my medication or authorisation for my GP to issue it and I can put this behind me. But my gut instinct is telling me something different, it is telling me, I will be opening that blister pack that has been sitting there since first thing last Friday morning. And typing out letters.

0 likes, 34 replies

34 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Well done! You got there eventually xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.