wish me luck..losartan dose doubling tonight

Posted , 9 users are following.

After talking with the kidney doctor, he wants my blood pressure under 120 over 80. This morning it was 124 over 81. He requested I take 100 MG of losartan instead of 50 MG.  He also asked me to take it right before bed time. I'm hoping I don't go to low. I take toprol Xl in the morning. Anyone who has been through doubling of the med and taking it at bedtime let me know if you have had issues with it. 

0 likes, 61 replies

61 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Losartan is newer than the ACEclass but among the oldest in the ARB class.  Losartan and Valsartan are the first ARBS. The newer ARBS , like candesartan, and others,are more powerfull BP drugs but Losartan works fine for mild BP problems, it is shorter acting than some of the more recent ARBS.  I also think it has a good side effect profile compared to ACE class and other classes like beta blockers or calcium channel blockers, it's more effective in reducing BP with  HCTZ.
  • Posted

I have been taking losartan 100mgs. For 1month and my b/p went from 198/110 to 135/85
    • Posted

Yes jerry53202..I too would be interested in the daily average.Going from 198/110 down to 135/85 in just a month is quite a reduction.

Good for you!!!

• Posted

Well done Jerry!  Wish that I could increase my Losartan to 100mgs but unfortunately the lower dose raised my creatinine levels (although to a level that they're not too unhappy with at present), so the risk to my already reduced kidney function would be too great.

• Posted

It has been as high as 167/90 but my lowest was 135/85 .I also cut down on alcohol.The firtt 2weeks I was on 50mgs.but there was no change when I was put on 100mgs it started going down
    • Posted

Mrs.O..this isn't about the Losartan, so please forgive me. I dont know how to message you otherwise.

My bloodwork came back from the Lab...with regard to the uninalysis.

It says:.Leukocyte esterase was High...Albumin/Creatinine Ratio; Urine is at 2.5, considered high...Bacteria was High. I'm not sure if this means I have a kidney infection or not..Of course, I concerns me, but I can't worry about something I know nothing about, & don't see the Nephrologist 'til Monday. On Tuesday when I saw the Endocrinologist, he ordered a 24hr urnine test for me to do...I don't know just 'why HE would do this unless of course, he looked at the Lab results, which he gave me a copy. If this is the case, I'm glad he 'grabbed the bull by the horns' so to speak. 

What do you think may be going on with the readings I've just mentioned to you. I do know you have kidney problems.

• Posted

Mike, I'm not a medic but I would strongly suspect that you have a UTI (Urinary Tract Infection).  Plus the way your lab results are given in Canada would probably be different to those here in the UK.  It could be that one or more of your drugs has contributed to this so obviously that needs investigation.  The only query is that if you have a UTI I would have thought you would have experienced some unusual symptoms, such as stinging on passing water, but perhaps not necessarily the case.  One thing for sure is that if anyone has a UTI it is wise to get it treated promptly to avoid the risk of it travelling to the kidneys.  I'm sorry I can't be more helpful but at least you haven't got long to wait until you see the nephrologist on Monday.

As a point of interest, the Losartan I am taking has increased my Creatinine levels to slightly above normal.  The diuretic Indapamide caused all sorts of problems in the first blood test, including low sodium levels, higher raised creatinine and potassium and reduced kidney function, hence my referral above to the possibility of your results being drug-related.  Which is why, everyone on such medication should have their blood tests and urine tests monitored regularly. 

• Posted

Hi again, MrsO..Actually, I don't have any discomfort at all when passing water. In fact, about the only thing I've felt is a slight aching sensation in my lower back, but that wasn't at all persistent, nor did it repeat itself. It seems a one off. 

A few months back, I had a reduction in my potassium...but when taking the potassium supplements, the level came back up to where it should be. I do have Idapamide in the Coversyl pills...& since this has transpired (the blood test levels etc. which I described to you), I now wonder if that could be a culprit. BUT I dont understand 'why' the high bacteria level, & leucotytes. As you know, the Albumin//Creatine Ration; Urine was at 2.5 whereas the Reference Range..if I understand it correctly says <2.0. i would think my level at 2.5 is too high.

i'm hoping the nephrologist's office is indeed open come monday. i've had that appointment for quite some time now, without a telephone call advising me the appointment has been cancelled or whatever. i have tried calling the office as soon as i got these blood test results, but there isn't any answer. i was by that office a few days ago, & the door was locked. i don't see the endocrinologist (the one who has ordered the 24hr urine test) until jan. 6. that's a long time to wait when something like this is on someone's mind. i must think positively & will attend the nephrologist's office as scheduled. if it turns out the office is closed, then i'll very likely contact my gp for guidance. you can bet that had i not turned up for an appointment, i'd be billed for that missed appointiment!!! i="" would="" think="" my="" level="" at="" 2.5="" is="" too="" high.="" i'm="" hoping="" the="" nephrologist's="" office="" is="" indeed="" open="" come="" monday.="" i've="" had="" that="" appointment="" for="" quite="" some="" time="" now,="" without="" a="" telephone="" call="" advising="" me="" the="" appointment="" has="" been="" cancelled="" or="" whatever.="" i="" have="" tried="" calling="" the="" office="" as="" soon="" as="" i="" got="" these="" blood="" test="" results,="" but="" there="" isn't="" any="" answer.="" i="" was="" by="" that="" office="" a="" few="" days="" ago,="" &="" the="" door="" was="" locked.="" i="" don't="" see="" the="" endocrinologist="" (the="" one="" who="" has="" ordered="" the="" 24hr="" urine="" test)="" until="" jan.="" 6.="" that's="" a="" long="" time="" to="" wait="" when="" something="" like="" this="" is="" on="" someone's="" mind.="" i="" must="" think="" positively="" &="" will="" attend="" the="" nephrologist's="" office="" as="" scheduled.="" if="" it="" turns="" out="" the="" office="" is="" closed,="" then="" i'll="" very="" likely="" contact="" my="" gp="" for="" guidance.="" you="" can="" bet="" that="" had="" i="" not="" turned="" up="" for="" an="" appointment,="" i'd="" be="" billed="" for="" that="" missed="">

i'm hoping the nephrologist's office is indeed open come monday. i've had that appointment for quite some time now, without a telephone call advising me the appointment has been cancelled or whatever. i have tried calling the office as soon as i got these blood test results, but there isn't any answer. i was by that office a few days ago, & the door was locked. i don't see the endocrinologist (the one who has ordered the 24hr urine test) until jan. 6. that's a long time to wait when something like this is on someone's mind. i must think positively & will attend the nephrologist's office as scheduled. if it turns out the office is closed, then i'll very likely contact my gp for guidance. you can bet that had i not turned up for an appointment, i'd be billed for that missed appointiment!!!>

• Posted

Mike, as I said our lab results are worked out differently here in the UK so I'm sorry that Creatinine at 2.5 doesn't mean much to me.  Our Creatinine is measured in mmol/L with the normal range being 49-90.  My Indapamide was stopped when my Creatinine reached 120.  On the Losartan it was 103 yesterday so they're prepared to accept that knowing it is from the drug;  however they are unable to increase my dose of Losartan as that would produce an unacceptably high Creatinine level

Here we have a website Lab Test Online UK who can be very helpful with lab results.  Perhaps you have something similar in Canada?  

• Posted

Whenever I've had my meds doubled...I felt worse..

Most things you read about doubling medication tells you that by doubling, it most certainliy can cause the side effects to be more intense. 

I'm a little confused about your readings....124/81 is a good number...by trying to lower it to 120/80...is just 4 points. How does that justify doubling the medication????? We're all taught that lowering the b/p gradually & steadily is best, & it's certainly not good for a sudden drop. 

• Posted

Todd, are you exercising?  I've had hypertension for years, taking 3 BP meds in divided doses in the am and pm for continued coverage -- suggested by my internist.  I saw a cardiologist to get her opinions on my health and the meds I am currently taking.  She told me if I would walk 6 days a week for 30 minutes, it would lower my BP.  I have exercised for years so I decided to add walking.  She said it opens the blood vessels and remain open for a good period of time.  I walk 60 minutes per day 6-7 days a week and my blood pressure is so low now.  She told me to take my BP throughout the day.  If it's too low, not to take them all because you can have a stroke if your blood pressure is too low as well as being too high.  There have been days that I haven't taken them all because my BP was 111/70 and 90/70.  She told me to take one of them and which one to take if it's too low but to ignore the rest until it gets higher.  I believe in exercise!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.