Withdrawal from Tramadol, is this what I'm experiencing?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've been on tramadol for 4 years. I discontinued the drug roughly 10 days ago. I still have pins and needles, chills, flushed feeling, etc. Worst of all I become incapable of thinking clearly for long periods of the day, what some refer to as "brain fog". For those of you have discontinued this drug are these symptoms consistent with your withdrawal? The inability to think clearly for long periods of the day concerns me the most (e.g. lack of focus, confusion, lightheadedness, etc.). I was put on the drug for different illnesses I was diagnosed with, I typically wouldn't take more than two 37.5mg tablets a day, but I was on it a long time. I'm starting to think that the way I'm feeling is related to some other underlying health issue and not my tramadol useage. I hope I'm wrong.

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi popctrl just read your text. I've been on Tramadol longer than you, but I take them every other day. I do however take 4x50cm twice that day, which is much more than you. I actually didn't know you could get them in 37.5mg size. When I have tried to go 2 days without, I suffered restless legs and couldn't keep still. I was very agitated. I didn't suffer what you describe. I honestly think you should tell your doctor about this, as the dose you've been on doesn't sound that high at all. You may have had some other feedbacks, which would have hopefully reassured you more than I have. Good luck.

• Posted

Hi Pam. There were acute periods, where I was recovering from surgery or dealt with severe pain, where I took more but for the most part I never exceeded what I thought was a very minimal dose. I never even came close to what was prescribed for me. I'm seeing the doctor about all this in a few hours and plan to lay everything out, I hope I get some answers.

• Posted

Good for you popctrl, I hope the doc helps you. You take the drug cos your in pain, you definitely don't need all these other awful symptoms. Good luck once again. Let me know how you get on.

• Posted

Hi Pam , I have just been given it 50m,g,  I fine its great for pain but there's a but I feel sick for a while then goes off I think I will try every other day as it lasted really well I get such pain in my legs I think I have   Rheumatism or slight osteoporosis  I am lacking  vitamin d. Have had tests done and Docter said I have to take them 1 tablet 2week for 6weeks then reduce it to a lower dose it's Stexerol D 3'25000u.625mcg)tabs   Would this make me have so much pain in my legs ,,I do suffer with a bad back disc prob ,, old age haha 😂 it's nice to read bits on here it helps thanks all Linda .👍

• Posted

Hi Linda, it sounds like you may have osteo arthritis like me. Mine started in the neck. Now I have it everywhere. On the days I don't take Tramadol I'm in agony, and often cry with the pain. It definitely gets worse as you get older. I still refuse to take them every day because I believe I will get too used to them and they won't work so well. Doctors have told me I'm wrong and that it's better to take medication than be in pain. But I'm still glad I haven't taken their advice on that. I am hooked on them as it is. My sister took 50mg tabs, but was so I'll and didn't feel any benefit painwise. So she's on some other strong tabs. I always feel sick when I take my first dose which lasts from 10 mins to half an hour. It also takes my appetite away. But I can handle that to be pain free for a while. Hope you get things sorted for yourself. I would never advise anyone to take them, but you gave to way up the benefits against the negatives for yourself. Best of luck Linda.

• Posted

I saw the doctor and he thought my symptoms could be a great number of things. I need to get some blood work done and he also wants me to start an elimination diet, I have Crohn's disease so he wants to rule out a sensitivity to gluten. With respect to tramadol, he said my use of it was indicative of dependency, I was using it to function and not for the original pain I had. Originally the pins and needles I experienced was thought to be because of a B12 deficiency so I didn't link it to tramadol useage. In any case I'm hopeful that things will improve. I actually feel pretty good right now even though I didn't sleep well. It really hurts knowing that I lost a woman I thought I'd marry over this, I wish I had a second chance but I don't think life works that way. When I was with her I'd be inexplicably happy and then at other times down. As crazy as it sounds I was denial at that stage that it had to do with tramadol. I thought I have all these documented health issues which I've had surgery for and tramadol was the only thing allowing me to function. I was riding a roller coaster of emotions day in and day out and it had become normal for me. I still feel like crap but I already find myself at more of a equilibrium having only been off the drug less than two weeks. I don't know how any of this happened to me, I never even came close to taking a quarter of the tramadol that was prescribed for me. 

• Posted

Hi Pam thanks for getting back tonight I am going to leave off as I feel so tired just takeing it last night ,,and see how I feel Pam ,I feel away with the fairys I don't much dose as it takes affect.. will let you know how I get on ,, and yes I think I have osteo. They said a few years back I had it slight so .. anyway I wish u well and good luck to u and all on here bless u . Linda ,

• Posted

It's a good thing you saw your doctor. I really hope he's on the ball and can help you through this. Along with all the health issues you have and losing your dad when you were so young, I think you are also suffering from very low self esteem and confidence. This would make the strongest of individual depressed. You are obviously still young and once you get over the withdrawals perhaps you will feel ready to give uni another try. I'm so sorry you lost your girlfriend. Tramadol would have been to blame for your mood swings. There is a whole world out there popctrl, and I really hope you can build up your strength of mind and body. You could be a happily married man in a couple of years. I hope I don't sound patronising, I honestly am not intending to be. All the very best x

• Posted

Hi Linda, Happy to hear you're giving up the Tramadol. If you get withdrawals, taper them off slowly. See how you go. Best of luck.

• Posted

Hi am hope you are getting there myself I took it tonight as it's a great pain killer But it still makes me feel sick for about them mins .and in the day my head went so dixzzy didn't like it ,have to go out sat .so I am going to takeLyrica   It. Okay for a one off now again it doesn't make me feel ill just a bit mind blowing ,will have to go back to see my Docter ,, does Tramadol. Make u dizzy it's horrible but I thought give it another go only taken4 now ,  but don't get moods with it just head aches as well ,, think it's the last night tonight ,thanks Pam ,good luck to you and every one on here bless them .linda .

• Posted

Thanks Pam. I'm feeling a lot better, still suffering from many of the symptoms I mentioned in my original post, but the brain fog has improved considerably. I have suffered from low self-esteem, it's something I've been working on. 

• Posted

Stopped it Pam as I was telling  pop.. but today I nearly fell over  I came over hot dizzy felt really poorly for most of the day and that's only takeing 4 tablets   Crazy ....  oh my god ....hope you are okay and good luck too all on here ,Linda 

• Posted

I've been suffering from dizziness for some time, which I've put down to vertigo. An imbalance of the ear, quite common in the over 50s I'm told. It's really bad if I lay flat, or when I turn over in bed. I'm learning to live with it, but sometimes it's so bad I, like you, feel faint. I'm sure the Tramadol are partly to blame. As I said to you Linda, it sounds like you really should get a different pain killer. As you've been on it for such a short time, it doesn't agree with you at all. Good luck....

• Posted

Hi Pam yes it's the tramdol. As I texted my freind she takes it and she said just be careful as it made her  so dizzy she still takes it for her pain ...it frighten me as I thought. I was going to fall down came ouer really hot it was horrible ,,never mind hopefully I will get another tab ,Tryed to see my Docter but on hoilday this week the one the nurse asked me to see is no good So ring up. Tomorrow.i know I shouldn't have stopped them dead . But I only took4 ,hope you are getting there how u feeling Pam .x

• Posted

Hi. Earlier this year I was prescribed tram adolescents for gall bladder pain. I only took 1 50mg every other day for about 3 week. Noticed a change in myself after this short time and stopped taking them. Suffered everything you've described. Insomnia. Restless legs. Brain fog. Irritability. Lasted for about 10 days to a fortnight than gradually I got back to normal.

• Posted

Well Victoria if I knew I would get back to normal that would be good enough for me right now. It's the agony of suffering from this and not knowing what the cause is. I suspect it's tramadol but now I'm having doubts. I'm at around day 11 now cold turkey but it feels like it's been so much longer. It's hard.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.