Withdrawal from Tramadol, is this what I'm experiencing?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've been on tramadol for 4 years. I discontinued the drug roughly 10 days ago. I still have pins and needles, chills, flushed feeling, etc. Worst of all I become incapable of thinking clearly for long periods of the day, what some refer to as "brain fog". For those of you have discontinued this drug are these symptoms consistent with your withdrawal? The inability to think clearly for long periods of the day concerns me the most (e.g. lack of focus, confusion, lightheadedness, etc.). I was put on the drug for different illnesses I was diagnosed with, I typically wouldn't take more than two 37.5mg tablets a day, but I was on it a long time. I'm starting to think that the way I'm feeling is related to some other underlying health issue and not my tramadol useage. I hope I'm wrong.

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

OH MY GOODNESS ME I HEAR ALARM BELLS RINGING.

To cut the long story short I am in a lot of pain at the moment with a large kildney stone. A few weeks ago I was given Tramadol to take as and when I needed it.

Did not particularly like it or find it effective so went onto Oramorph.

However, was in a lot of pain last night so a doctor came to see me.

Unfortunately he saw the old box of Tramadol and immediately said he thought I ought to be back on it.

There is so much you read about these drugs but what or who do you believe?

Fortunately I have an appointment with a GP on Thursday so I will ask him about this.

We are very fortunate here to have an excellent chemist. Your local chemist might be able to help you.

I really hope you continue to be able to keep off this drug.

Remember you are not on your own, there is help out there.

Take care and keep in touch

Sarah x

• Posted

It's quite interesting how Tramadol affects people differently. It is a very good pain reliever and that's obviously why so many people take it. My sister who is in a lot of pain can't take it, it makes her sick. A few years ago doctors thought this drug was a huge break through, wasn't addictive and an excellent pain relief. How wrong they were. If I'd had any idea (along with many sufferers) I would never have taken it. I think that now we are far more enlightened about the negatives of this drug, it should only be used very sparingly. Doctors shouldn't be so keen to prescribe it now. But by what I read on here, it seems the doctors still dish it out like sweets! I guess most if not all analgesics when taken for long periods are addictive. I need pain relief so I'm sticking to Tramadol. I take it every other day and don't take as much as some. Although I would never have started taking it had I known it would end up ruling my life.....

• Posted

There is no way I'll restart the drug Sarah. As far as I'm concerned I'm allergic to it. When I was on the drug I was dealing with all sorts of other symptoms. I would get mood swings depending on when I took the drug. I didn't appreciate it at the time, it took me losing a woman I cared for to even recognize the problem. I have a chronic immune disease and needed tramadol to function. The doctors I had spoken never recognized the potential for tramadol to cause problems, at the same time I, as the patient, didn't articulate my reaction to it...because I thought it was normal and the relief it provided at the time was significant. Like I said I don't know what's causing my problems but if this purely a dependency issue it will have flipped my world views upside down. I never drink or smoke and would never had thought this could happen to me. It happens gradually over a long period of time, it grabs a hold of you without you even being aware. If that woman had never entered my life I would still be taking tramadol now, I'm certain.

• Posted

Hi Pam again what  strength   Was tramadol your sister took to make her ill 😷 Thax ,Linda ,

• Posted

Hi Pam not takeing it any more as it makes me feel sick and I had a very bad dizzy spelll think it makes me worste god what a life but you must try and in the end it's worth it they say hope you are okay and getting there as such Pam tc x Linda 

• Posted

Hi Linda, it would seem that Tramadol isn't agreeing with you. It might be a good idea to speak to your doctor again and ask for something else, which would suit you better.

• Posted

Aww thanks my lovely   It's so different. To know what   To do right now.   Tonight I will take pain killers ...but my mother bless her is really poorly as well she's eighty nine and has everything bless her she never moans.   So mine isn't bad but it's painfull and my legs feel heavy.  ,have a restful weekend. Pam and every one else on here  ...Linda 

• Posted

Hi popctrl, I was on 50mg Tramadol for 6 years and in the last few months ended up taking around 8 tablets a day. I came off them around 2 years ago and I had the same symptoms as you, including the brain fog. I ended up reducing my hours at work and only working every other day for the first week. I found it so hard to do the most simple tasks at first but luckily it did only last around 2 weeks until I started to feel normal again. Coming off Tramadol was one of the hardest things I had done but having a good support system around me made it so much easier. I hope you start to feel better soon. 
    • Posted

It's been really hard. I've been through my father dying as a teenager, major surgeries, and failed relationships. At this time, I honestly feel this is harder than any of those experiences, as awful as they were. It's terrible because I actually don't know whether I will persevere, whether things will return to a level of normalcy. I've relied on my mother and old friends for support. It's honestly hard to be hopefuly for my future at this stage. I was planning on doing a graduate degree at a reputable university but have had to back out given the uncertainty with my health. That disappointment, coupled with a lost relationship, has made this much harder. I don't know where I will be a year from now but I know my health needs to be my top priority because in poor health everything else suffers. 

• Posted

Hi I was on thisxdrug just for 4days stopped it dead. But Monday today came outer ill so dizzy went hot and thought I was going to pass out nearllybfell down what a nasty drug if that doesn't that in 4days oh my god stear clear  ,when I took it it made me feel sick for 15 mins. I thought I am in pain but not to have all this side affect ,, I can't believe the docters don't tell you ,,it's a great painkiller but nearly kills u in the bargain ,,some folk it suits but this no good for me folks .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.