Withdrawal Symptoms

Posted , 14 users are following.

HI ALL!!

I'm down to .5mg of PRED and I'm finding dizziness unbearable is this normal?? been on .5mg for 3 weeks.

many thanks

ANDREA

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I'll be interested in how other people respond to your question . I've been experiencing a lot of dizziness and vertigo since quitting prednisone and I blame it on my arthritic neck and my doctor says it's an inner ear problem

• Posted

I had a fit of vertigo some time ago, so bad that my son took me to the doctor's as I had nausea as well. The doctor gave me an injection and said the dizziness will pass in half and hour. It did and said it was an inner ear infection. I was impressed! I was given Prochlorperazine Maleate tablets to control severe nausea and vomiting. Felt better the next day.

• Posted

I think this is one of the side effects of withdrawal and quite unnerving. I am finding the same, occasionally, at just over 1mg. I have been cutting the 1mgs and as they are not cutting evenly I sometimes have 1.33mgs instead of 1.5 I'm sure someone with more knowledge than I have will be along soon to clarify.

• Posted

same here, cutting these small tablets in half is quite a challenge, I don't have exactly half equally each day.

• Posted

I guess it balances out over 2 days though I find myself gathering up the dust particles to help make up the balance. Your dizziness sounds quite debilitating, Andrea. I hope you get something to resolve it.

• Posted

Instead of cutting those tiny pills you might try talking double the dose but only every other day.

• Posted

Except alternate day dosing isn't recommended for PMR, unless you are on the final stretch towards zero.

• Posted

Although if she's on .5 I guess that would be the case.

• Posted

yes I did ask my rheumatologist if I could have 1mg every other day, he said he'd rather me have half every day then go to half every other day after a few months, then see him in December before I stop them altogether.

• Posted

It is to do with the adrenal glands and the normal cortisol cycle in the body. 😃

• Posted

Has your doctor checked your adrenal function? Maybe your adrenals aren't keep up with your reduction.

• Posted

Hi Eileen,

I haven't had the test for the reduction from 1mg to .5mg but I did have a blood test when going from 2mg to 1mg and the rheumatologist was satisfied with the results at that time so I know my adrenal glands are functioning in some way.

• Posted

I really can commiserate with you as I have had total dizziness for a good 1.5 years. I say it's not the room spinning it's in my head or eyes....I am on 15mg coming down from 100 two years ago.....so don't think it pred withdrawal, but maybe just pred. Would love to end the silliness. Hard to function and stay focused and think things through. I tried eply manouver to no avail. Any other ideas. Is there drugs....no not more drugs. thanks for listening

• Posted

Make sure you're checking your blood pressure several times a day.

• Posted

I have dizziness sometimes. Doctor said it was most likely due to dislodged crystals in the ear (I forget where exactly) as nothing else showed up as a reason. If I do the Epley maneuver then it goes away. You can google it. Not hard to do, just have to get it right or it doesn't work. However, it could be due to other things as well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.