Withdrawing from venlafaxine...I really need help

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've been on 150mg of venlafaxine for about a year and I decided I was in a place where I could stop taking it. So my doctor (whom was super supportive all along and sweet as could be) lowered my disease from 150 mg xr to 75 mg xr for 3 months and then to 37.5 mg xr for 1 months, then she told me to just stop taking it so I did and then I told her I felt like I got hit by a bus...and she told me I as making it all up and it was all in my head? I didn't realize vomiting and brain zaps was a symptom of anxiety. Anyway she ended up giving me 25 mg of no xr and I took that for a week then cut those in half for a week and then I stopped last Tuesday. I am on day 6 of withdrawals and feel like absolute death. Vomiting, dizzy, head aches and I'm sweating profusely. I weaned off and I don't understand why I'm feeling like this! I'm taking the omega 3s and Advil and nothing's helping!

Should I just stop and take the stupid pill again?

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Stephanie,

I'm so sorry to hear of your suffering. Withdrawal can be hell! I too, suffered headpain, vomitting and crazy making emotional lows.

I believe that Mirco tapering (weaning off 10% of your current dose every month) is the most conseritive safest approach and wish that I know of this before I tapered too quick and lost 4 months of my life.

I WOULD take the stupid pill again for a month and begin my "central nervous system supportive"  mirco taper.

This is my only my humble opinion. I urge you to do some research and chose the kindness most supportive withdrawal you can. Your body and mind deserve it!

With kindness,

Jan

• Posted

Hallo Stephanie, sorry to hear you've been having such a rough time. It really is such a difficult medication to reduce & stop taking. I've been trying as well, am down to 37.5 mg and thought I was managing but have felt so ill that I'm back on it. I've been doing research online & have joined a really supportive group on Facebook. It definitely seems to be that reducing it has to be done very slowly....
    • Posted

Hi Lisa, I hope you don't mind me asking but what is the group you have joined in fb? I really could use some support, there doesn't seem to be a lot of it when going through desperate times of need going off the awful venlafaxine!
  • Posted

So sorry to hear that you're having it so rough! 

If I had a "do over" I'd probable start over with a 37.5mg. dose and the decrease the dose 10 % after being back on it for a month. The slow mirco taper seems to be the kindest and gentlest way for those of us with this withdrawal sensitivity. 

Good Luck,

Jan

• Posted

I totally hear you. I've been off the pills after a taper that was too fast and today I've hit more than Rock bottom. The nurse is coming over shortly. I know I can't live like this anymore I can't function at all just cry. It's my daughters birthday and the guilt is tremendous because I just can't be a good mum like this. I can't make a cake for her of cook dinner. I can't take it anymore. When the nurse finished I will let u know what she says to try to help us! I know it's more than hell this is. Your absolutely not making it up it is how the ven is. All I can say right now is support from people is a little helpful. But for me today I really feel even that's not enough.
    • Posted

We sure can! I finally felt a little better tonight and managed to cook my daughter the roast pork she requested for her birthday. It was the hardest time I have ever had cooking dinner but at least I did it. The nurse rang back this afternoon (she's my new case manager now) and she said she'd spoken to the psychiatrists and said they were not happy to reinstate even just 25mg of venlafaxine. I bet if they felt like I did today they would have taken it yesterday! I'm just more than over the level of care I have had since being on this brutal medication. I got real uptight on the phone as once again they recommended distraction. That's a cop out answer. You cannot distract yourself when you at unable to control your emotions at all. They were literally controlling me today and it was incredibly scary to feel what I felt. Anyway I hung up on her because other wise I probably would of had a rage and that wouldn't have been so good. I pleaded with my partner to just take over and help me. I said it's like I litterally have to be sitting here with two broken legs in agony for anyone to move fast and help. I seriously would much rather that than what I was feeling. My partner then went on to ring someone else who knows the ins and outs of the system here and said its so wrong what they have put me through. He said to demand a closer appointment than after Anzac Day. So yes, we can do It. Keep in touch and keep strong it's only a phase that's all and it WILL pass.
  • Posted

Hi Stephanie! I have been taking 300 mg of venlafaxine for 17 years. I am coming off of it at a rate of 37.5 mg per week. I am currently at 37.5mg. This is approx. my 6th week of withdrawal. I feel like it's the 1960's again...almost like LSD effects. However, I am sick, dizzy, forgetful, talking a mile a minute and feel like crap. Could have run out into the street naked this morning. Venlafaxine is a dangerous drug and I will be glad to be rid of it. The withdrawal is simply insane. Best of luck. Dave "1hunglow"
  • Posted

Hi everyone,

I ended up caving and I took 1/4th of my 25 mg pills, so only 6.25 mg and all my symptoms were dulled in a few hours. I've kept taking 1/4th for the past few days, I don't know what my plan is. Going back to the doctor next Thursday tho so we'll see!

• Posted

Wow! 

So happy for you!!! Great news. Are you thinking of staying at 6.25 mg for a month and then tapering 10% of that?

All the best,

Jan

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.