Wondering...

Posted , 12 users are following.

So I just wanted to hear either some personal examples or thoughts on this topic.  I quit drinking for a year and a half.  I realized that alcohol was ruining my life.  I realized I would never reach my true potential in life if I continued to use.  So recently I began drinking beer.  I am very attentive to how I feel when I drink.  I do not have more than two beers at a time and this is every couple months.  It is not a weekend thing any longer and I am not longer binge drinking.  I realize that I am playing with fire.  I am sure some people would not go down this road at all.  But has anyone else, I guess in lack of a better term, learned how to drink responsibly?

2 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi, I personally tried to do this, I was sober for 5 years and thought I could go back to drinking socially.

So you start off thinking thinking yep I can do it, couple a night but what you don't realise is it's gradually getting its claws into you again, and before you know it you are back to square one, undone all the good you did.

I can't drink responsibly, hard lesson learned.

Think hard about it. If alcohol was a major problem in the past I'm not sure this is gonna work in your favour. Nice thought though

Take care xxx

• Posted

Thank you for your input.  I am not too far along yet where I cannot stop.  I have been told in the past that if a person actually has to limit the amount they drink then there is a problem.  Yes I have to limit what I can and cannot do and I will have to forever.  I do have a problem.  And I am not sure it is going to work either.  
  • Posted

If you can consciously limit your intake, I would call that a real advantage. Check this for future use if it starts to get out of hand:

https://patient.info/health/sinclair-method-for-alcohol-use-disorder

Otherwise, check in with sites like Moderation Management, where they're all about drinking in moderation and how to keep it under check. 

For those that can't manage to keep it under control, look into the above link or medications for Alcohol Use Disorder in general (Naltrexone, Campral, Baclofen, Gabapentin, etc.). What's available will vary by where you live. 

If you can manage to abstain without periodic relapses, you've got what you need and should just stick with that. Most that attempt straight abstinence without medical assistance will relapse within 4 years. It's not a personal shortcoming or character flaw, it's just the way Alcohol Use Disorder works for some. 

• Posted

I was only entirely sober, no alcohol whatsoever even at Church, for a year and a half.  I did not attend any groups or take any medication.  I am extremely paranoid of using too much.  I just really value drinking a beer now and then.  I know I must sound like a real idiot and that I am trying to rationalize me beginning to binge again.  
    • Posted

You don't sound like an idiot at all. If you still have an Alcohol Use Disorder, you will come to know it. Maybe you'll slowly start drinking more, maybe something will set you off and you'll dive back into the bottle. Most that take the traditional approach of detox and abstinence will relapse (90% per NIAAA). So a medical community that continues to promote the traditional approach in the face of that, when there are very effective medications that can be used to help people abstain or control their drinking, that's where the shortcoming is. The tradtional approach doesn't work for 90% of people wiith AUD. Continuing to promote it when it has failed a given patient is lunacy. If a cancer treatment fails a patient, do they say "Look, we'll use the same thing again, but this time you have to try harder."? No. 

It may have been a situational thing for you, or perhaps you've simply changed to where it's not going to accelerate. Keep your eye peeled, keep a log of what you drink, maybe even enlist a friend. Educate yourself about the medical options that can be used if your resolve fails you. 

Some people start drinking heavily as a result of taking SSRI antidepressants or benzodiazepines. I've even read of women that have no problem cutting off alcohol when they're pregnant, but afterwards fall into a habit of drinking (progesterone has an impact here). It's not just one way for every person who overdrinks. 

So  the best you can do is to carry on with modereate drinking (if you want to drink at all) and if you find it ramps up, know the options and tools at your dispostal, get in touch with your GP and get it back under control. 

• Posted

I do know people and even a few on here..that suffered badly from alcohol but now limit their intake.

If you can do it...limit it good.

if you start to run into problems..we are all here...and you will have to reel yourself in.

I wish you the best..

• Posted

I'm hoping I can do this. I've put in way too much time and effort to fail now.

• Posted

You're definitely not stupid, Matthew, to be asking this.

Some people can control their drinking, and most can't.

You'll know if you start to want more.

I'm so glad you stopped before. As Misssy said, we're here for you.

And as Lisa said..............you're playing with fire.

All the best to you,

Tess xx

• Posted

Yes and yes. I know. Believe me I have myself on a short leash. Thanks for your help and input.
    • Posted

Good luck Matthew. I really hope you can do this; do keep us informed over time..honestly that is.

You mentioned in an earlier post 'even when I went to church'. Are you a Christian? I ask because I am and this is causing me so much heartache because I feel as if I am being a hypocrite and a bad example for the Christian life/ for God etc. I do know that He does not let us go. I would love to hear your thoughts and advice on this aspect of alcohol abuse. Thanks.

• Posted

Sharon, darling, if we were perfect, Jesus would not have had to die for our sins.

Do your best not to feel guilty. xxxxxx from Tess

• Posted

don't think failure..think maintaining the way you are.

Be positive and then if you slip out of control...re evaluate.

Best to you.

• Posted

Thank you Tess, trying. I know that He is there for me.....but I guess you know where I am coming from. X
    • Posted

Oh, yes. I most certainly know where you're coming from. xxxxxx

• Posted

I am Catholic so for a year and a half I abstained from the Blood of Christ during Mass.  I do that now anyway for many personal reasons.  Alcohol is never a sin.  If it were a miracle would have never been turning water into wine.  But obviously abusing alcohol is not what life is about.  Everything in moderation.  I have a problem with one of the ways to help quit alcohol because everytime you go you introduce yourself as an alcoholic and it ends with the Lords Prayer.  For me this does not work.  First off I am a believer of habits and people being able to make or break habits in 21 days.  If I am continually calling myself an alcoholic that is what I am.  Sure I have problems but I am not going to define myself with my problems.  I do like the notion of knowing God with your own definition.  But lastly I go to Church to feel good, for community, and it is my faith.  I do not want to associate Church with one of the worst aspects of my life so I need seperation.  Of course this is all my beliefs.  I would never talk badly about this group which helps thousands of people each and every day.  It is just not for me.  
    • Posted

Thank you Matthew for your honest reply. I do know what you mean re the group; it refers to a 'higher being' although not everyone personally there believes the words of The Lords Prayer so it raises questions. It obviously works very well for some people so do t wish to judge. And yes I agree we are more than our mistakes, errors, sins etc. Jesus wants us to overcome/be disciplined and blossom. Xx

• Posted

I just do not like mentioning the name of the group because it helps so many people.  Just because it does not work for me does not mean that the group does not help others.  But I am overall a firm believer that there are many different paths that can be travelled to get to a final destination in life.
    • Posted

I don't feel a failure at all; I used to until I came on here.  I thought I was the only one that could not say no to a drink and had to comfort drink every night to get through the next day.  Then I found this site and all the people who are, and have, found it so hard.  The way they explained how they fight non stop made me feel so much better and I realised I was not only alone, but that I could commend  myself for getting off my a++e and doing something about it.  That takes guts and I am proud that I am acting proactively and doing something positive.  Well done me, well done you and well done all you lovely guys and gals.

...........................G x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.