Wondering if I'm overdoing it, 8 months post-break

Posted , 8 users are following.

I broke my fibula right above my ankle in July.  Had surgery--pins and a plate put in, non-weight bearing for three months.  I'm eight-months post break and have recently starting to work out religiously--when I say work out, primarily treadmill, stationery bike and a 30 minute circuit workout.  It feels so good to do this work out --like I said, just getting back into it--last week four days, this week, three--so far.  I was going for five but boy my leg/ankle is sore.  I'm wondering if I'm overdoing it.  I want to take today off .. but feel guilty  smile  Am i ok to give my leg a rest??  I don't know if the pain I'm feeling is normal due to what I've been doing lately and that it will pass, or if I'm overdoing it...Thank you... cheesygrin

0 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Oh my gosh would i love to be at your stage of recovery...ive read alot of posts and the common theme is take it easy and your body will let you know when to stop..as for feeling guilty oh my gosh remember when u couldnt walk you have come along way take it easy on yourself and i hope to be where u are one day in my recovery....
    • Posted

Thanks Maria....  I did sit out yesterday, but was unhappy with myself.  lol.  But I went back today and it felt good.  I did go very easy though... smile  I just have to know my limits.
  • Posted

No you not even close to overdoing it. Will it be sore yes. I amb10 montgs running around 50 k a week doing stairmaster with13 kilos in backpack and all kinds of stuff. Make sure you stretch and do plenty of exercises for the foot ankle and calf. Ypu going to be sore for awhile you may even have problems with tendons at times but keep pushing things will get better
    • Posted

Wow according to what you all do, I'm not even close to overdoing it smile  Sounds like you're doing great--thanks for your feedback.  I'll have to watch my limits is all.

• Posted

It was right off from after surgery exercise what I could and a good diet. I broke of the biggest in my ankle tendons in my knee and a dislocated hand from a fall in Peru at 11 meters durning a climb . I am a 55 year old mountain guide just not wanting to give you my career just yet. So two days after surgery I worked on things I could do in bed or on the floor to keep in shape besides the injured areas. When after time around 3 months I started rehabbing the ankle. At 6 months started running slowly and biking.and stairclimb. I I goals for myself to reach and I make sure I reach them

In june I have to be in Bolivia so I make it my goal to be in shape by then to lead climbs . I disagree make up a Facebook page nor much just some things I do. It is not much but if it could inspire a person to get over there I problem then that is great. Just follow your doctor's advice. Remember though soreness is part of it. We may have it the rest of our life but dealing with it is how we overcome it. Of that makes any sense. I tell people the time I climb I overcome my fear my pain and I cionquer.

• Posted

Sounds as if you have overdone things. Take a little step back and listen to your body!

Best of luck

Richard

• Posted

Thanks!!!  I did take yesterday off from going to the gym, but went today and just took it very easy.  smile  
  • Posted

I had the same - but break in November 3 mo NWB (too long according to my PT) I'm still in PY and want to get back to the health club. But what I hear over and over is TAKE IT SLOW. Listen to your body. Your muscles, tendons, etc. were basically "dead" for 3 months. Mine are waking up now and ouch so are the nerves.

I'd say listen to your body. Guilt feeling for me would be overdoing it & out of commission for days recovering because I didn't listen to my body.

• Posted

Thanks for your msg....hope you are back at it soon.  It seems like i was in physical therapy forever--started in August and went through first part of October, but it was great.  Take care!
  • Posted

Wow I'm so encouraged that by 8 mi this life will be back to normal and that I could actually run , not just walk. It sounds like a very aggressive workout and being a yogista I say take a day to stretch or swim. These are still great excercises but does give your ankle a rest a bit from high impact. I'm just thrilled to hear if what a great recovery you have made! I was 3 months and a week no wb and am just starting to weight beR with the cast in and crutches. It hurts and swells a lot and some days feels like I'm just never going to get there. Your post gave me inspiration, just to walk, bike swim and do yoga again would be so rewarding g. Even the best athletes need days off. I was a compete with gymnast and understand the drive you have , but you don't want to do anything to damage that ankle and leg. Give yoga a try to incorporate into your work out schedule. It is an amazing compliment to any work out.

Keep up the incredible gains you have made, as I said you inspire me!

Margie

• Posted

Thank you!!!!  I am not running yet...but walking fast.  smile  I was just thinking the other day about trying some yoga, i just might do that.  My daughter swears by it!

Best of luck to you---you will be back to normal soon!!!

• Posted

Margie I felt like that after 3 mo NWB & starting therapy. It'll get better! I had s few setbacks but over the hump. I tried to do too much at first being so happy to be out of that boot. Doing too much = 3 days to recover. Still walking with a cane but I'm walking & driving. (Break was R foot). Hang in there! We'll all be back to the gym, swimming & gardening SOON! Those are my ? and goals.

• Posted

I have to be in boot 1 more month but can wb without. BEIng a bit older 52 , they said the bone graft I had had been a bit slow to fill in. Yes I imagine some setbacks and bumps in the road. I'm left foot so can drive sooner, I haven't yet but will soon. Yes I'm s big believer in setting goals and we will be there soon! I got in my hot tub for the first time in 4 mi the so that was glorious!!!😎

• Posted

I've always gone by: pain=stop

discomfort=push thru.

Pain is usually trying to tell you about some sort of damage. Discomfort is the body getting stronger through being pushed.

My experience tells me that the break you had is a major ordeal. The fact you can even do what you're doing is amazing. Probably feels fabulous to be active again.

Good luck and never feel guilty about resting because you're trying to be good to your body. 😀

• Posted

Hello, I am very interested to read about your situation saralie. Like you, it is eight months since I broke my fibula, and also tibula. I have two plates in leg, and screws in ankle. I feel my progress is so slow, and my family and friends are sick of my complaining so I don't really talk about it with them anymore! I have finished all my physio , and now just continue with exercises physio gave me. I still walk with a cane, and have trouble walking long distances. My main concern is the ankle stiffness, I dont feel it is improving at all. Best wishes with your recovery, please keep in contact and let me know how you are progressing. CAROLINE

• Posted

My PT told me that the stiffness could continue for a year. I'm 5 months post injury. Stiffness is really bad in the morning but after getting up & doing all my exercises I feel better. Stiffness isn't gone, but is more tolerable.

• Posted

I would be inclined to try a lie in a hot bath in the mornings and see if that'll improves how you feel. Please let us know if it helps.

Cheers Richard

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. Very encouraging, sometimes I feel so down about my leg, but reading all these messages on the forum gives me great encouragement. Thanks again, Caroline.
    • Posted

I feel down too. This forum helps me realize that I'm not alone & reminds me to have patience it won't be forever. I've written down my progress everyday since I started pt, beginning of February! When I look at that - pain levels, meds, etc I HAVE come a long way. Slowly- not as fast as I'd like. Plus, the times I felt great & overdid it I paid for it for 2-3 days. We'll all get through this together!

God bless!!

Janness

• Posted

I have terrible scars from the surgery. I notice no body even talks about that! My physiotherapist ( oh i am in Australia) told me that my injured leg and ankle would never back to the original size of my 'good leg'..so depressing. Because of all the metal hardware in the injured leg.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.