Wondering if I'm overdoing it, 8 months post-break

Posted , 8 users are following.

I broke my fibula right above my ankle in July.  Had surgery--pins and a plate put in, non-weight bearing for three months.  I'm eight-months post break and have recently starting to work out religiously--when I say work out, primarily treadmill, stationery bike and a 30 minute circuit workout.  It feels so good to do this work out --like I said, just getting back into it--last week four days, this week, three--so far.  I was going for five but boy my leg/ankle is sore.  I'm wondering if I'm overdoing it.  I want to take today off .. but feel guilty  smile  Am i ok to give my leg a rest??  I don't know if the pain I'm feeling is normal due to what I've been doing lately and that it will pass, or if I'm overdoing it...Thank you... cheesygrin

0 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Sara,

I read ur post and the answers- sounds like some people were saying take it easy andl slow down and others were saying u r where u r supposed to be and supposed to feel discomfort..

I am not where u are- I was nwb for about 10 weeks- shattered ankle ion 3 sides and sendamosis joint ( in correct spelling) have plates -rods etc..and have now had a week of weight bearing-I sat on a bike for 30 mins 3xs physical therapy 2xs . Walked in a jacuzzi 3xs, for 25 mins -walked a little shy of 1/2 mile slowly 1x and a seated rope pull for 30 mins 2xs. Lots of icing - and even put foot a few times in ice bucket

• Posted

Sorry I did not mean to send the reply yet

I'm extremely sore - tender burning-..very confusing how much to push- I have been in a lot of pain before physical therapy- and weight bearing- i think I need to slow down a little bit... I have that same thing where I feel guilty that I'm not doing enough...

• Posted

Wow your doing a lot more than me Marge. I walk wb with cruthes still. I go about 20 laps down my hallway but I have to sit down to rest after 6 laps because my arms get so tired. I'm kinda afraid to put full weight on it yet. I'm probably Babying it too much. My doc didn't want me to go to PT until I'm out of the cast. I want to try walking in a pool. I'm hoping that might overcome my fear of putting all my weight on it. My toes are moving really good now and my ankle goes back and forth but limited mobility in it so far. I'll try my recumbant bike but my cast is so bulky I'm not sure it will stay on the peddles lol.

• Posted

Yes you need to take a rest. When do you go back to work? I got till April 20 with this cast off then we decide about plate removal. I hope I can walk full wb by then cause Disability is pushing for me to go back to work. That is scary for me at this point. I can't do stairs yet!

• Posted

Margie great to hear from you!!

I'm so glad we are at this next stage - but it is a challenge and scary to know how much to push - and if I push to much I really pay the price.

I'm sore as can be - so I think I overdid it. I think walking in a pool is ideal. I would ask ur doc. I started with water up to my shoulders.

Also I have hardly any ankle mobility as well especially side to side.

Keep me posted please!

• Posted

I hear you! it is scary- try to take it one day at a time- easy for me to say but almost impossible for me to practice.

when u have to go back to work( still about a month away) is it okay to go on crutches? Because it sounds like u are doing well with them right now and building up strength.

I can't do the down part of stairs either. In a pool i practiced walking forwards , backwards, sideways, and stepping up a step. It helped-but we r in early days and finding the medium ground is the challenge..It's so hard not to compare myself to others but really its all an individual journey to get the best recovery possible with the least pain and to know we are all on this annoying road.

Xoxo

• Posted

Yes I'm just getting impatient for real walking and getting rid of the boot! Pulled a muscle in my shoulder today from all the crutching, I'm sore and exhausted! Wondering when Ill ever wake up with no aches or pains.

• Posted

Oh god I know!!

it sounds like you were working hard on walking with crutches. It's like we are damned if we do and damned if we don't. 

I took it it easier today and don't have the same extent of pain.. .. maybe we push a bit and back off. Maybe we both pushed a bit too much recently. Ugh I'm sick of this...

• Posted

Hi Everyone,

How do you all deal with:

1. Boredom.

2. Finding a comfortable position for sleep.

3. Not being about to fix food, do laundry, etc.

4. Sex

I'm three weeks in with my tib/fib break. So much metal in my leg I could be the bionic woman. NWB for 3 more months. No pain but easily exhausted.

Any suggestions? The adult coloring books and tv are going to get old. 😀

• Posted

Are you in the CAM boot? I slept with it on for 8 weeks. I am in Aus so i am not sure if it is called a CAM boot where you are. I broke my fib tib 8 months ago, 2 metal plates and 8 screws. Have you got family or friends to do your domestic chores. Or maybe a local council can help. Please keep in contact, best wishes, CAROLINE
    • Posted

Well I did some crafts, I'm not really that crafty but my friend is so she brought over a wood crate I painted and stencilled on it and am going to put my hot tub towels in it. Puzzles, journaling, reading, crosswords, playing cards and dice games. Netflix binging. Planted a little herb garden. Online shopping- a little dangerous at times lol!

Still having trouble getting comfortable sleeping- but it is way better when you can take the cast off!!

Good luck!

Margie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.