Work

Posted , 12 users are following.

Has anyone went back to work too soon? I intend to go back to work next month, that will be 16 weeks after tkr. I'm doing great with walking and stuff but haven't really been on my feet for more than an hour, maybe 2 at the most. My concern is I'll be on my feet at work for 8 hours and don't know if it's doable.

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

HI Louise

I’m sure most on here will say stay off more . 

Not everyone has that freedom to choose . I had a partial and went back after one month . I was able to sit though as well as walk . But I did ice at work and elevate as often as possible . And every night after work did nothing but ice and elevate as it did swell up . Was rough going for several months but eventually everything with knee calmed down . 

You’ll just have to see how it goes . All the best .

Debbie 

• Posted

Thanks Debbie, I've no option I'm afraid. My sick money runs out then and needs must.

• Posted

I'm 12 weeks now and I'm not ready yet, I'm going to wait until I've seen my surgeon again anyway because it might need manipulating. Can't you do a phase return and steadily increase the amount of hours you work to see what you can get away with x 

• Posted

I really need full pay and won't have any sick pay left. I'm thinking of asking them if I can use some holidays to make up my hours if I go phased return but don't think they'll agree to that

• Posted

That's rubbish, luckily I work for the NHS you get full pay for 6 months then half pay after that

• Posted

That's good... kind of reflects the medical gravity of the operation from a health welfare perspective!😁

• Posted

With my first TKR last year I had to go back at 6 weeks - was definitely the wrong thing to do but my disability was totally denied. With my second TKR in June of this year I was able to take off 10 weeks - disability worked better this time that last year - but was still too soon. I have a "desk" job but am on my feet as much as sitting. Even 6 months out I have days that are extremely painful but have to do it. I've often wondered if anyone who manages the insurance has ever had a TKR. I think that might make a difference in how they view the time off needed to recuperate.

• Posted

Oh, that was soon, with both. Thing is, I did have 26 weeks full pay but due to being off a lot because of pain prior to surgery I've not had much time left this side of it

• Posted

I'm getting ready to start PT again today on the knee done in June. I have developed extreme tendonitis all around my knee and down my shin as well as building up scar tissue again. I have a manipulation done at 5 weeks and it definitely helped but I produce scar tissue to an extreme every time I've had surgery. Hopefully this PT will take care of breaking it down and avoiding another manipulation. Don't get me wrong - my knee is so much better than it was prior to surgery but the aches and pains are beginning to wear on me.

• Posted

Hi Louise,I’ve just returned to work after 16 weeks,luckily for me my GP recomended a phased return on my last sick note,I work 12 hr shifts and also on my feet for most of it,but at present I’m doing 6hrs then the following week 8hrs before 12hrs. Even after six hours my knee feels ‘tight’ and less mobile but hopefully it will ease when I get used to the routine again.So ask your GP to recommend a phased return for you, good luck.

• Posted

Hi Louise

I returned to work after 12 weeks I'm a retail manager so I'm on my feet a lot of the time .I went back on a phased return so for the first 2 weeks did 3 days then two weeks on 4 days and next week full time ..first couple of days I was knackered!! But gradually built up energy...I've been to an osteopath as my back was killing me ..all those months of limping didn't help...he helped me a lot it is natural for back to be out of line so to speak after the operation..

I would suggest a phased return if your able to do it ...GP with put it down on sick/ fit note so your employer can comply..

• Posted

Hello Lousie,

?I went back to work on the 12th day after surgery. Had no choice because we have our own business. It depends on the work that you do. 16 weeks seems a lot of time to have off

,but I suppose that if you are on your feet all day you will need to be given a chair to sit down periodically.

?My job isn't standing up all day so I iced and elevated as much as I could at work. Physio said that I was barmy, but needs must. I don't know whether I made it any worse or not.I am now 16 months after surgery and my knee does still swell and feels tight if I walk too far .I did all the exercises religiously and tried so hard to keep the movement. I cant bend fully(probably only 110 even now)even though I had the manipulation done after 3 months so its so different with each person.

?My feeling is,is listen to your body. I think that a gradual return to your daily duties would be better than full on in one go.

I hope things work out for you though.. Good luck

?Dawn

• Posted

Thanks everyone, my doctor has already mentioned phased return so that won't be a problem. I'll just have to try and see how I get on. Nothing else for it 😁

• Posted

"Early" seems to be less than 12 weeks and those people seem to experience a lot of issues.  Most patients going back to work in the 4-6 month range fare a lot better.  Your key to handling 8-hours on your feet will be how much you've done to strengthen your dead quads, glutes and core.  If you've done those exercises, you should be OK.  However...

I'd take it easy at first and work your way up to 8-hours.  Expect some swelling and pain since it's still four months out instead of a full six but it should all be manageable.  Take your anti-inflammatories for the first few weeks to help.

• Posted

What if I go back to work after my 2nd TKR at 16 weeks? I'm an RN and work in critical care, 12' shifts. We do a fair amount of sitting, but it depends on acuity of your patients. On days we do a fair amount of "road trips" to  MRI, CT, and IR. I won't have the leisure of elevating my leg. I may be able to ace wrap on ice pack on but...return is mid January. He said I could have the whole month off. I see him again on the 4th of February. I'm tight and may need a MUA.

• Posted

Sry I see him on 4 January.  I'm still doing PT. 

• Posted

My wife was a psych nurse for 30 years "running the halls"...  I don't know if you're ready to do that if your knee isn't healed enough and strong enough...

• Posted

I've been practising the stairs to strengthen my leg. I can now walk up the way normally and without holding onto the rail. I've just started walking down normally but still holding the rail. That has got easier every day

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.