Work and Fibroids

Posted , 9 users are following.

I need to start a new job in September and I do not know how I am going to go to work and not miss days with bleeding and the clots that overtake any pads or tampons. Advice?!? I am 47 and trying to not have any surgical procedures done.

Thank you!

0 likes, 37 replies

37 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi. I put up with excessive bleeding and clots for years. Then I read about Tranexamic Acid tablets on here. Taken at the start of your period for 3 - 5 days, they lessen the blood loss, sometimes even stop it. It worked for me. I couldn't believe my doctor had never suggested it. Many thanks to the ladies on these forums. 

• Posted

Have you looked into Esmya, I have been on them for 9 months, worked well for me and stopped the clotting and bleeding ( don't bleed at all for three months at a time!), some women even have their fibroids shrink in size. Worth looking into.

Good luck with your new job x

• Posted

Hi Barbara..i was looking for someone who has been on ESMYA.

I have a submucosal fibroid about 3.6cm which is not very big but since the past one year..I have been experiencing heavy periods with clotting and enormous amount of cramping followed with leg and back pain..i have been considering a surgery..but when i went in for a second opinion ,the doctor suggested ESMYA for 3 months with 1 month break a followed by 3 months of Esmya again.I haven't made up my mind thinking of what would be the side effects associated with not having my periods for 3 months and will it cause weight gain acne or any other serious side effects..please advise how have you been feeling after taking ESMYA?? Thank you!!!

• Posted

Hi there, I am sorry to hear you are not feeling so good, your symptoms are very similar to mine. I found Esmya a God send as the three months of not bleeding were so welcome! I felt a bit tired while on Esmya and made the decision to take them at night before bed as they could make me feel a bit dizzy. I did not suffer from many other problems and if you are trying to preserve your fertility I would think Esmya would definitely be worth a try, I am 51 so not having more children. I found the 2 month break rather painful though so after three cycles I have now had the hysterectomy. I did find out that I also had adhesions so my c section scar was attached to my bladder, could be why I was in pain! I hope it works for you, do let me know if you have any other questions I can help you with.

Best wishes

Barb

xx

• Posted

You ever considered a menstural cup? it doesn't give super heavy flow people like me(change a pad every half to and hr heavy) the complete protection of no leaks so I wear a pad(leak is not enough to fill a pad) BUT it doesn't leak down my legs like wearing a tampon with two pads does, also no sitting down puddle that floods as you get up either. It catches the clots, my huge clots would actually get passed my tampons😳🙄. Menstural cups you empty every 4-8hrs but with a heavy flow you won't get that long(2 1/2-3 hrs for me)

I'll admit if it leaks then taking it out will leave two fingers with a bit of blood on but if you change it before leakage then you're fine. It's reusable also. You could give it a try before Sep and see how you get on?

Since using a cup I get no cramps either. Vitex is good for regulating hormones and calming down your flow(can make you more fertile though). I've just started drinking black strap molasses and apple cider vinegar to try and reduce my flow/bump up my iron so I can stop taking my prescribed iron tablets.

Hope the ladies have other ideas for you, good luck :-)

• Posted

Another vote for Tranexamic Acid.  I had excessive bleeding with my fibroids and on bad days, could not leave the house.  Tranexamic Acid took the edge off.  My periods were still heavy compared to the average, but more manageable - i.e. I could do my hour commute to work without any accidents.

My GP prescribed Tranexamic Acid but I discovered you can also purchase without a prescription at Boots (I think their brand is Cyklo-F).  I was also prescribed Utovolan/Notheristerone (sp?), which was to delay or stop the bleeding (my periods were that bad I would get the calendar out and start a course of Utovolan to delay the onset, so the first 2 days would fall on the weekend!) - that is another option to chat with your GP about.  All the best x

• Posted

Hi,  I took Norethisterone non stop for six months for very heavy bleeding and excessive clots.  It didn't stop the bleed completely but at least I could function.  I couldn't have survived without it.  Unfortunately, in the end I had to have a hysterectomy due to fibroids.

All the best to you. 

• Posted

I am waiting for a date for my hysterectomy, can I ask you if it has made you feel better? Sorry to ask but I am scared out of my witts and suppose I am hoping that this will give me my life back! xx
    • Posted

Hi Barbara,

Firstly, please don't be scared.  I was exactly the same; absolutely petrified.  I worked myself up into a frenzy!!!  On the actual day of the op I was calm as a cucumber!!  It took me a while to recover but I am so glad I had it done, I really had no choice in the end as the fibroid was sitting on my bladder and I couldn't wee!!  So I spent a good few weeks with a catheter.  Just think no more periods!!!!  The only thing now I'm finding is with surgical menopause I am gaining weight but this could also be down to an under active thyroid.

All the best xx

• Posted

Thank you, that is reassuring! Mine is sitting near my bladder, I can't stop going to the loo!! I am hoping to keep my ovaries to avoid the instant menopause, would rather ease into that over the next few years if I can (best laid plans and all that!). I can't imagine me feeling calm, but after so many years I am looking forward to thinking about other stuff rather than this! I can only do Four cycles of Esmya and as it would appear there has been no shrinkage.....and no sign of menopause on the horizon I was only left with the option of having a hysterectomy! Did you have TAH?

I am glad you feel better, sounds like it was definitely needed! Hope you continue to recover well, and try not to worry about weight gain, you can concentrate on that once your body has recovered and settled down! xx

• Posted

I had an abdominal hysterectomy, keeping one ovary and the cervix.  I was hoping to keep both ovaries but one had endometriosis so the surgeon took that too.  I actually got to see the 'pesky' fibroid after the op; they brought it to show me in a bucket!!!!  I couldn't believe it!!!  

I tried Esyma too but couldn't get on with it, and like you, no shrinkage.  

I do hope you don't have to wait too long for your op.  The waiting really is the worst thing.  xx

• Posted

Omg, they actually showed you the fibroid!! I might ask to see mine, just so I can say good riddance to the little blighter! I am booked for TAH, but if poss would rather the laparoscopic one (is that the right word) if poss, last time he said my uterus was too big, but hey if I have to have TAH so be it!!

The wait is awful, gives me way too much to read horror stories! But I am grateful for the time Esmya gave me to have a break and recover a bit before making the decision tho. I am just on the two month break at the moment and bracing myself for 10 days of hell (if last time is anything to go by!) But have fingers crossed it won't be as bad 😬 I have been told it should be Aug or Sept so waited around 7 months from making the decision so not so bad I suppose. How long did it take for you to be out and about after op?

Not much fun being female sometimes!! Thank you so much for letting me know about your experience, really helps.

Barb x

• Posted

Hi Barb,

I had my op on a Wednesday and was out by Friday.  Personally, I think I should have stayed in an extra day as the surgeon nicked my bladder during surgery and I had to wear a catheter for another two weeks (oh I do love a catheter!!!).  You will wake up with one anyway after surgery.  They get you up and about the next day and into the shower.  My partner took the first week off to help out, but it was a nightmare watching him do everything wrong!!!  Lol!!!  I just pottered about for the next couple of weeks; a little bit of walking round the garden, making a light lunch etc, but mainly resting.  You will feel tired so just do what your body tells you.   Each week you will feel that little bit stronger.  I did sleep in bed at night which was abit of a struggle with lifting legs up.  You forget how often you use your stomach muscles.  I drove after 7 weeks.

If you have laparoscopic surgery I believe healing time is much quicker so fingers crossed for you.  

You're more than welcome to ask any questions; I know exactly what you're going through and how you are feeling. 

Toni x

• Posted

Hi. Sorry to butt in but I am new to this as I was only told the other day that I have several fibroids the largest being 3.5 cm and some had calcified. I have been having period like cramps all the time my tummy looks like I am 6 months gone by teatime. And I have really heavy periods which means I change a pad every hour as it is completely soaked. My periods went haywire from feb. Missed one then every month it was either late by a week or a week early. My gp has reffered me to see a gynocologist and I am a little scared of what may happen. With several fibroids they recommend a hysterectomy. I am 45 so child bearing is not likely now.

• Posted

Oh crikey, it took you 7 weeks before you could drive!! This is the very thing I am also worried about, Firstly I don't get paid when off sick (gulp), secondly I work in a mainly male environment so they will not understand why it is taking me so long to recover!! We're you up and about before this? My job is desk based with no lifting at all, I am hoping I will be able to be back at work max 5 or 6 weeks!! Fingers crossed for laparoscopic hysterectomy hey!!

I am not very good at watching others do house work or cook, I have a feeling there will be lots of biting my tongue and grinding my teeth.....but won't say a work, grateful to them for looking after me!! 😬

Thanks for your help, I am sure as the time nears I will have more questions that pop into my head, not sure anyone can answer them unless they have gone through it.....so thank you!!

Barb xx

• Posted

Hi Toni,

I have my date now, 17th Aug (would you believe we were on holiday......had to cancel that!!) I can honestly say it can't come soon enough, been flat out on bed all week taking morphine to control this bloody awful pain!! Bring it on!

I am now thinking about what to take in, eye mask, pillow, ear plugs, book, peppermint tea.......anything else you would recommend? Any advise would be gratefully received, I am so ready for this.......but still soooo nervous! I have checked and due to size of uterus I am having a TAH but have asked for ovaries and cervix to be left if ok and healthy. Can't believe after all these years I am finally doing this, I am really hoping that this will bring this awful part of my life to a close.......want to feel normal again!

I am really trying to stay positive and calm, done want to get myself in a state, I know I need this hysterectomy......all other options have been discussed and this seems to be the best way to ensure these pesky fibroids are gone for good!

A very nervous Barb xx

• Posted

Hi there Barb,

So glad you have a date at last!  Now you can work towards it and prepare yourself.  It's no good me saying don't be nervous because it's only natural.  You will be panicking trying to get everything done at home, but don't worry about that!  I just took in a nightie, dressing gown, comfy clothes to come home in, wash bag, peppermints, lip balm an big undies!!  Fortunately, I was in a room on my own but I had to keep the door open as it was so hot in there.  The first night I was on morphine and the second night I couldn't sleep as the nurses kept yacking!!  The next day I was made to get up and shower!!!  It was the last thing I felt like doing.  I remember I dropped the towel on the floor and automatically bent down to pick it up!!  Ouch!!

The worst part really is the waiting.  Do you know where you are on the list?  

I'm actually off to Lanzarote in the morning and for the first time ever we haven't had to work a holiday around my period and I've packed lots of white trousers!!!

Just think positively Barb; recovery will take a while, but just embrace it and you will be fine.

Keep in touch.

Toni xx

• Posted

Oh wow Toni, so glad you are off to Lanzarote for a well earned holiday (went years ago, loved it there) , and am very glad to hear you have packed those white trousers!! So nice to think you have been able to book without having to sit with a diary in hand to work out when's a "good" time!!

Thanks for the tips, I will definitely remember the ear plugs then and poss take two towels in the shower just in case!! I feel quite prepared now as finally out of pain as put back on Esyma to take me up to op date, the relief is great, i am hoping to NEVER have another period in my life EVER!! Lol 😁

Hope you have a fab holiday, I will post again in Aug!!

Barb xx

• Posted

Hi Barb,

I just wanted to wish you well for Thursday.  I should imagine you are well and truly ready for this and have your bag already packed!  You will be fine, time will whizz by and before you know it you will be well on the road to recovery.  Just think positively - the freedom of no more periods EVER!!!  

Any further questions, just fire away.  If I don't hear from you, do let me know how you got on when you feel up to it.  Good luck

Toni xxx

• Posted

Hi Toni, oh boy am I ready, bags are packed, big knickers on standby, ear plugs and eye mask.......and two towels (lol)! I was going to ask you a quick question that does worry me a bit.......did you suffer from the dreaded constipation (sorry to ask) but it seems to affect so many people (suppose medication, lack of movement.....I just have a feeling I will not escape it) any advice would be greatly received! I noticed that my gynecologist has put me down to have my ovaries removed, I did ask him to leave them if they are healthy, must mention that to him again!

Did you have a lovely holiday? I hope you rocked those white trousers! Are you still feeling well?

Thank you for remembering, seems to have crept up on me, can't believe it is nearly here!!

Barb xx

• Posted

Ah, the dreaded constipation?!!!!  Oh yes, I didn't 'go' for 6 days!!!!!!  I certainly wasn't prepared for that I can tell you!!  It was the worst pain.  I took Lactulose (defo get some Barb) and then went to GP who prescribed some Movicol.  Wish I'd had the heads up on that one!!  

I had a lovely holiday thank you and thoroughly rocked the white trousers!!!!  It was such a joy to be able to swim too without worrying... such freedom!!

When you get to the hospital they go through everything again with you so do mention about the ovaries.  I asked to keep mine too, but they took one as it had Endometriosis.  It does help alot to keep them with the menopause, although I'm not sleeping that well atm and the hot flushes are coming on thick and fast!!!  Oh and the weight is still a problem.

All the best Barb, take care  xx

• Posted

Hi Barbara, good luck today. I'll be thinking of you. I'm still struggling on with my fibroids and fed up, but hearing all the positivity on here I'm seriously considering hysterectomy. x

• Posted

Oh no, six days!!!!! That must of been awful, the thought of how that must of felt makes me shudder!! I do remember when I had a c section I did not go for days*shudder* and the pain was not great then, this has stuck in my head and is why I will be asking for something straight away, won't wait this time!! Lol, the things I worry about 😂!! I am getting my admission time today so will be stuffing my face today, any excuse hey!!

I am so glad you had a great hols, I can't remember swimming without the fear of it turning into a crime scene, I am really looking forward to not thinking about stuff like that anymore, can finally stop stocking up on blooming sanitary stuff......bodyform will notice a dent in their profits!!

Thank you so much for your advice....and just being there, it makes this crappy journey not seem so bad and worth while, only someone who has gone through it can make others like me feel more at ease. Thank you 😘 xx

I will keep in touch xx

• Posted

Hi Masie, thank you so much, I am quite calm now and think I am just looking forward to getting on with my life, these God awful things have plagued me for a good few years now and I have had enough! I am hoping it gives me the freedom (from pain and constant bleeding and bloating) that others are talking about! I will let you know how I get on. I (probably like you) have tried other options before I finally decided to go down this path, I really feel like it is right for me and I am straight in my head now......bring it on!!

Barb

xx

• Posted

Hi...me again.......forgot to say, my sister had her ovaries removed and had a few problems with her menopause! Turns out they left the tiniest little bit behind, and would you believe that little sod was causing havoc with her hurt as they could not get dose right!! It did not take long for them to get it sorted out and she is happier now than she has been in years! She also put on a bit of weight at first, think some was hormones, some was just because she felt so much better she was enjoying life more 😜, after awhile that too settled down and she is now comfortable with her shape........th she looks so happy and healthy I think she looks amazing.......I am sure it will be the same for you!!

Take care, catch up soon xx

• Posted

Thank you for that bit of info re your sister.  That's actually got me thinking as I had a scan after the hysterectomy as I was in abit of pain on the left side and they said it was a cyst on my left ovary.  Well I replied "It can't be as I don't have a left ovary!!"  So they said it was probably adhesions.  I'm not on HRT but I have been wondering whether I should go on it.  

Well, good luck Barb, don't worry.  The op will be over before you know it and they will be waking you up to a lovely cup of tea (dish water!!) lol!!  It's been a pleasure to make this journey a little bit easier for you.

Take care xx

• Posted

Hi Toni, I survived!! I came out of hospt on Sunday, care was fantastic and really did not feel much pain at all. The op took nearly 4 hours as my uterus was attached to my bladder with adhesions from my c section so I am now in no doubt that I made the right decision, no medication or menopause was going to sort out that mess! I am pleased to say I am up and about, dressed, using stairs......don't get me wrong, I am sore and walking like a granny....but feel ok. I have not been able to nap like they suggest, just don't feel that tired, but am sleeping ok at night and really taking it easy during the day! I am also pleased to report that after our chat lactulose has been used and all bodily functions are resumed after a slow start 😵 I can't wait to feel the full benefits of having this op but can say already after only a week I feel more relaxed, don't feel like I constantly have to pee, am not bleeding and am not as exhausted (surprising enough!). Thanks for your advise over the months, definitely helped me come out the other side!! xx

• Posted

Hi Maisie, I am home and doing ok, still a bit sore but am surprised at how well I am feeling. The op went well(took nearly 4 hours!) and I now know I definitely made the right decision as was a bit of a mess inside, no medication or menopause was going to help with that!!I am really looking forward to feeling the full benefits of having this done but know it will be a slow road, got to take time to heal, but am positive it will of been worth it!! I hope you are feeling ok x
    • Posted

Hi Barb!  So pleased all went well with the op and they took great care of you in hospital.   Wow, you were messed up in there; no wonder you were in so much pain.  Sounds like you are getting along really well, but don't go and overdo things!  It's great you can manage the stairs and are sleeping well.  I slept well at first, but now those darn hot flushes are keeping me awake!!

We are off on another little holiday!  Making up for lost time I tell you!!  You will certainly feel the benefits in good time, just look after yourself and listen to your body.

It's been great chatting to you Barb.  I wish you all the best with your healing and don't hesitate to ask if I can help you in the future.

Best wishes

Toni xx

• Posted

Hi Barb, good to know you are feeling well. Thanks for the update. Wishing you continued recovery healing xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.