Work/Life Balance--Guilt & Shame

Posted , 11 users are following.

Are any of you ladies feeling like peri has stopped you from even approximating your normal/old work schedule?

Last night, while driving a sullen job candidate to the airport--in a blanking blizzard-- my period came. (This trip was mandatory--my university is too cheap to pay for cabs so faculty have to act as Uber.)

I melted down completely. My brain fog is so bad I don't know how I got home in the white out conditions. This morning my emotions are alternating between rage--why is my blanking job so demanding about stupid things? And terrible guilt--why can't I hold it together like I used to?

I took a sick day to try to recuperate and deal with the stupidity of the first day of my period. (Brain fog and sweating is so bad I can't teach.) My chair is furious--even though I have 8 months of sick days saved--because I might have been scheduled to let another candidate sit in on one of my classes.....

How do we manage the guilt? The shame? The inability of others to understand? That I am absolutely doing the best I can.... The guilt is overwhelming. Why am I not who I used to be? Who I still need to be?

I want to handle this like a slow transition--the second adolescence that GailAnnie years ago told me this was. (She's right.) But how do we live like teens when we have 50-something's responsibilities?

Thank all you ladies for reading! Many days this forum is all that holds me together!

Love you all.

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Ladies -

If any of you are Bible-readers, I HIGHLY suggest an app called "Abide." It's guided Christian meditations based on Scripture, and it has helped me SO MUCH. Three are all kinds of topics - anxiety, depression, health, ones specifically for women, it's amazing.

If you don't want the spiritual side, there is an app called "Youper" that is also really great. It's like a virtual mental health counselor, and has guided meditations, as well. It has been a big help!

• Posted

I had the abide app it was really good

Think i had to pay for it to get all the benefits but i didnt

I will look into it again x

• Posted

Yeah, it's like 5 bucks a month for the full version, but for me it's worth EVERY penny. It has been such a sanity-saver. =)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.