WORK STRESS!!

Posted , 9 users are following.

How do you deal with a bully at work??? My stress is all work related.   Long story short, went to the doc today and he gave me Citalopram.  Scared as s**t to take it but i feel I need it.  

Are the side effects that bad????

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

not really,however they will last 8/10 weeks until the ssri builds up in your system
  • Posted

Give them boundaries, make sure you are not alone with them, log everything down and speak to HR for advice.  Bullies thrive when no-one is around to witness what they do.

Makes me sad to read that you need Citalopram because you are being bullied, all it will do is help numb the awful feeling you get, it will not solve the problem, you need to speak to someone at work.

Regarding side effects, these can affect people differently, if you do decide to take them, I would advise you to start on a low dose 5mg and work up after you have settled, incase you do get side effects.

Good luck with your work stress, its an awful thing to go through and is too common unfortunately.

• Posted

I honestly think I've needed meds for years now as I have struggled with anxiety but always felt that I did not need them.  I have still not taken a pill yet...still want to think about it.

• Posted

Hi Toni

I went through the same thing a few years back being bullied at work I was in a right state and did not want to take Citalopram I was scared too and like Oaula said start on 5mg. I started in 10mg and felt a bit sick and I felt worse before I got better but pushed myself to go fir short walks as I got to where I didn’t want to leave the house and I ended up leaving my job. It took about 4 -6 weeks to start feeling better it was gradual so don’t worry if you don’t feel better for a few weeks. I stayed on the tablets for around 8 months and came off very very slowly over 3 months and glad to say I got back to my old self positive about life again and have a great job now with lovely people. I hope you feel better soon x

• Posted

Shame. Citalopram is regarded as the best first anti depressant to try. You sometimes get side effects when you start them, which can feel as though you feel worse, but that normally wears off after a couple of weeks. Its worth putting up with, as you can feel good again. Takes 4 to 6 weeks to see improvements. If you have been pescribed them then take them. Some people improve more quickly. If you are starting on a lose dose of 5 or 10mg, you should be fine. When they are working, you will feel much better, and not notice any difference to how you felt and thought, before you got down.

• Posted

Hi Toni stress is different from anxiety hold off of the cit try and sort the problem out first . Go to your line manager or HR Department to get this sorted ASAP it is not acceptable . You need to put in a letter of grievance against this person and then management have 2 weeks to act on this . If you belong to a union as well get them.involved if u feel u need to . How long has this been going on as a manager this is the 1 thing i really hate
    • Posted

Hi Michelle,

I have not taken the meds yet.  HR is now involved and will get back to me shortly.  Couldn't bring myself to go to work, had severe anxiety.  Thank you for your advise, I have never been involved in something like this.  I do not like confrontation and this took a lot of guts for me to finally speak up cause my health is suffering.  I really don't know if the meds will help the situation that is why I haven't taken them yet. 

• Posted

Yes wait until hr resolves this matter..don't rush Medications just yet..

• Posted

Thank you Lois.  I really think that if I need them, then I need them but I just want to be sure first.  I go back to see my doctor in two weeks.  There is nothing wrong with needing meds to make you better, I am all for that, but in my situation, I just don't want to numb the feeling of anxiety without dealing with the situation that is causing the anxiety.   Not sure if that makes sense lol 

• Posted

Iam a big fan of my celexa..but if you can sort out your anxiety without it ..then I say yes wait..and if it doesn't resolve ..you got a plan b..

• Posted

Good on you, for what you have done, that takes balls. Hope they get sacked. Bullies are usually unhappy or have other issues, doesnt mean they can take it out on others. Prolonged anxiety is not an easy thing to recover from, and usually takes time. If you find you arent improving, then go back to your doctor for advice. Hope things go well for you.
    • Posted

Thank you! xo  I am a little nervous about the whole thing but we have to stand up for ourselves no matter how hard it is.  If people  were kind to each other what a wonderful word we'd all have!

• Posted

Thats great you have advised HR. You could ask your doctor to sign you off due to the anxiety and stress this has caused you. You deserve a break from this, keep strong! Bullies are cowards that are eaten up with their insecurities, and is all about them. I have experienced that in the past and no longer put up with their nonsense, and question them immediately via email or face to face and log it, they soon disappear. Read up as much as you can about workplace bullying, and boundaries. All the best to you.
    • Posted

I agree, nothing wrong with taking them to feel better. ...Once you feel better and stable you can deal better with what it is that you have to deal with. One thing at a time. It has worked for me....feeling better will get you to work on the other things. Right now the getting better y coming back up from feeling bad is first. That is my opinion based on my experience and we are all different. So my advice is think priorities and do one thing at a time..... Bless!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.