Working with a new born

Posted , 6 users are following.

Please help. My Acute symptoms did not start until early July. However I had a sore throat throughout June. I worked 12 hour days 55+ hours a week. In January I became a father. I was just diagnosed with Mono after pleading with my doc to do the test (Aug 8th). I have a couple of questions if you kind people do not mind answering.

I recently just became a teacher. The long hours of my previous job finally got to me.  It is my dream job. I have already passed the acute phase of the infection. Should I be asking for time off? My doctor seems to think I can still work. 

Did my infection start in June or in July? As of now, I mentally tell myself July, as it could’ve been another illness in June.

I am worried I will pass the infection to my son. I am super careful. Also I am worried that I haven’t been able to get enough rest. I took off 4 days during my acute phase (sore throat, fever, white pus etc), and that was it. With the baby and now I’m moving in a couple of weeks, can I still work, move and take care of baby and still get better?

Did anyone else have to work and have a kid and got better? Thank you

B

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hello B,

I just wanted to let you know that I am also a teacher with 2 small children (ages 4 1/2 & 2), and I was just diagnosed with mono last week (symptoms since July 28th).  I can’t imagine what you have been going through having a newborn.  The good thing is this virus is only spread through saliva and not air-borne, so as long as you are careful, it’s much less likely lyour baby will get it.  I have also read that even if young children get the virus, they don’t really have the same symptoms as adults do.  I’ve read they are extremely mild and some don’t even show any symptoms at all.   I took comfort in gag when I read it, because I have been very anxious about my kids getting it!

As for teaching, it’s a very hard dilemma. I too am facing it. I’m supposed to be back at work on the 27th, with the first day of school on Sept 4.  I’m so worried that I won’t be better in time.   When do you need to go back?  I’ve already spoken with my principal about possibly needing a sub to start the school year for me. It’s all very frustrating and upsetting.  I hate the not-knowing.   I truly hope you feel much better soon!  I’m sorry you didn’t get your diagnosis earlier.   Take care and stay positive.  

• Posted

Hey Christine,

Thinking about you still at the moment and keeping you in my prayers as I know the work situation is worrying. I've been through the same myself as have had to be off work for a year and may lose my job soon, it's a heavy burden I know and just want you to know I'm thinking about you and just remember to put your health above work, I know it's easier said than done. 

Yes have heard that too that young children aren't affected as badly by the virus as teenagers and adults, which is a good thing and a relief, of course it is only natural to worry about passing on to your children - hoping and praying that God protects and helps you and your whole family at this time. 

Hang in there Christine, you are going to get through this - this virus does get better with time, not easy to deal with now I know, but there is hope and recovery and better times ahead once this passes.

Craig

• Posted

Hi Christine,

1st day for work was Aug 20th, but I haven’t taken a break from work, except for 4 days after I had bad tonsillitis back in July. I was working before my new job with no break in between.  I started having symptoms in early June, but they were just a sore throat and a little fatigue. My acute symptoms occurred around July 4th. I got diagnosed late with elevated levels of EBV Nuclear Antigen (they tested too late). I haven’t stopped working and I’m nearing month 3 with a 7 month at home. Plus I’m moving in a week. I fall asleep every night at 7:30pm and hope I am getting enough rest. There is absolutely nothing for me to do as I lack support so I must go on. The depression and anxiety have faded as the reality of my situation has become clear. I’m in it for the long haul.

Right now I am extremely tired with swollen glands. My face gets really bright red around mid day along with a head ache. This has been going on for about two months now. My skin is extra dry (hands and face). I am hoping that I feel better, some days I think I am, but I’m not sure. Physically I don’t feel better, but mentally I do. I hope this finds you well and good luck.

B

• Posted

Hi Bo,

How are you feeling now? I hope you are alot better. 

As others have said before, get as much rest as you need. If I had received a diagnosis very early on I definitely would have taken some sick leave. I started having symptoms in August 2017 and only rcvd a diagnosis 2 weeks ago so 13.5 month later. I continued to work throughout as I had no proof that I was ill. Part of me feels that working through this has slowed my recovery and I would be better by now if I had the rest I needed.

13.5 months on I am feeling alot better though not fully recovered. The symptoms that linger are fatigue (though not as extreme as before. I can stay up until about 10-10:30pm now as opposed to about 7pm in earlier months), anxiety, brain fog now and then, achy joints and muscles and lower back and hip pain.

I am so looking forward to the day when I am symptom free as I feel the past year of my life has been stolen. It's all a blur.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.