Worried about blood results

Posted , 8 users are following.

I have enjoyed a drink for a long time I don't smoke or take drugs never I have had bloods taken and panic about results esp as I have kids 17 and 11 well looked after and happy kids in good school and college I worry if it comes back I have a liver problem could my doctor call social services?

3 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I can't see that happening at all, Paula, but I am no expert, so I hope someone will be able to tell you accurately if there is a risk the results could be passed on.

I hope it all works out for you, you sound to be a wonderful Mum.

Pat xx

• Posted

Thank you everyone says I am who knows me plus most mums enjoy a drink esp as a single mum it's a way to relax and thank you for commenting xx 😊
  • Posted

Okay, the first part of the answer is for you, only concern yourself with that one. The second is for completeness and does not apply to you.

A GP will not call SS because you like a few too many glasses of wine, even to the extent, in the unlikely event that it may show up in blood tests. He will be concerned for your helth and reducing your intake to safe levels.

Okay, ignore this bit it doesn't apply to you.

Your GP does have a duty of care if he thinks children are at risk. But this would be a last reesort and he would need to see some evidence of this and it is really down to neglect and abuse, although they could be caused by someone who neglected their children because of drugs or alcohol abuse (not enjoying a bottle of wine a night).

The GMC prdouce a number of leaflets on them, some very long, but there is a good short one. The easiest way to find it is to Google 'gp call social services' and the fourth one down is the GMC leaflet link, this is easier than trying to go on the GMC website to find it.

Paula, what are you doing reading this far, the first answer was for you?

• Posted

That's a relief thanks never touched or neglected them ever so thank you for your reply just hope results are good am cutting down and trying to eat better xx
    • Posted

Will do didn't think was anywhere to talk to anyone 😕 made up found its site as no one seams to judge xx
    • Posted

We never judge! We're all in the same boat. Please make sure you come back to this discussion for support if the results are worrying - but it doesn't sound like they will be. You don't reach for a drink as soon as you wake up, do you? You drink socially in the evenings. Most people do. XX
    • Posted

I have done in past when I went though bad stages I lost a stillborn 13 years ago I have had alot of problems in past so I think that's why I drink plus I look after my two alone I don't know it's evenings more comfort when kids settled have been single 5 years suppose it's boredom xx
    • Posted

I have friends that go to local fitness groups i may consoder to keep busy I'm only 9 st I have lost weight that I'm surprised cos I drink but docs checking for aneima too had 5 bottles of blood taken x
    • Posted

To give birth to a stillborn baby is the most terrible experience. I am so sorry that you went through that. Do you, seriously, think you have a problem with alcohol? What prompted the doctor to take all those bloods in the first place?
    • Posted

It was, I don't know I can do without if I want to I went for patches of hair loss then mentioned bruise easy and too and had aneima in past and he but me down for all theses blood tests that have now got me worried sick xx
    • Posted

That's just GP 'Caution'.

What I mean is that since it's been ages since you've had any blood tests, your doctor is taking the opportunity to test everything. Their reasoning is two-fold..... 1) While you're being tested for a specific thing, why not do the lot? .....2) Patients bruises easily and has been anaemic, now having hair loss........hmmmmmmm.......could be anything..............better test for everything so all options covered as do not want to be blamed for missing something serious.......

• Posted

Yeah true just when he said liver I thought oh sh*t haha and got myself into a worry xx
  • Posted

No. Not unless your doctor has any reason to think you need to be reported for some other reason. My husband has very abnormal liver function tests and the doctor has never even mentioned the kids.

Hope your results are ok, by the way.

• Posted

Definitely no other reason just thought that if I have liver probems tho drinking he may be concerned about kids I over worry and thanks xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.