Worried about large ovarian cyst, possible cancer and operation

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi Everyone

I am 60 and was diagnosed with a large ovarian cyst on Tuesday after a routine scan on my gallbladder.  The cyst is 8.7cm x 5.5cm approx 31/2 inches by 21/2 inches)  I had a CA125 blood test on Thursday afternoon because, although most of the cyst looks to be fluid, there is a solid part to it too (but don't know the result yet).  I am really worried about what is going to happen to me, whether it is cancer or not, but also how the operation will be done with such a big cyst.  Could they still do this with keyhole or will it need to be the bigger operation?

My doctor has referred me to the consultant as urgent to be seen within two weeks, but she is now on holiday until Tuesday so I cannot talk to her..

Has anyone else been in a similar situation (especially at my age)?  How did they do the operation and what did they remove, just the cyst, the ovaries as well, or more?  How long did it take to get over it?

I would be very grateful for any information anyone can give me please?

Best wishes

Kathy

1 like, 220 replies

220 Replies

Next
  • Posted

May try keyhole first (have heard of 10cm cysts beig removed this way), then convert if need to at same time. Will put on consent form if decide to do it this way so can consent for them to do it under same GA and not have to leave it and do another op.

At your age they may well suggest removing both ovaries and both fallopian tubes a bilateral salpingo oopharectomy, did me as I'm nearing 50 and it is recommeded in wome over 50 with cysts. In your case they may want to do a hysterectomy because of your age.

So far as recovery goes it depends on the individual and what is done.

If they cannot be sure whether it is cancer or not, and usually can't be till after op, they will remove the ovaries so that should the cyst burst any cancer cells are not spread. FEW are cancerous though and this is just a precaution.

Thought could be cancerous with me but couldn't be sure till after op and answer after checked cyst was is not, this is a common occurance.

• Posted

Thanks Tazchurch.  How did you feel afterwards and how long did you have to stay in hospital?  Why, because of my age, would they suggest a hysterectomy?  Is this just because I don't need my womb any more.  Would the bilateral salpingo oopharectomy not be OK?  Should I ask for this?
    • Posted

See what they say as to whether suitable or hysterectomy better, if happy to do BSO as it's abbreviation is would probably be better so push for this

Because of alot of existing medical problems my stay was longer than normal. Is normally 1 night and many areas do it daycare, this is if keyhole. Again the same reasons mean I did/still do not three weeks later. feel as people normally would, most over it or pretty much so by now. so will not go into it

• Posted

Hi T.

I doub't they would go for a laparoctmy (full surgery) here in the US. Too expensive and invasive and longer hospital stay. But, it doesn't hurt to ask.

Thanks,

Lorena

• Posted

Hi Kath, 

I had a 10cm cyst removed 3 months ago which also had a solid part.  My consultant thought it was benign but couldn't be 100% sure unless he took it out and tested it and because I was nearly 51 and was post menopausal he suggested a full hysterectomy which had to be done abdominally as I had an ovary out years before so he couldn't do keyhole so I had a vertical cut.  Everything went well and was just in hospital for 4 days.   My cyst turned out to be a serous cystadenofibroma which was completely benign thankfully 😀

• Posted

Hi Kath, 

I had a 10cm cyst removed 3 months ago which also had a solid part.  My consultant thought it was benign but couldn't be 100% sure unless he took it out and tested it and because I was nearly 51 and was post menopausal he suggested a full hysterectomy which had to be done abdominally as I had an ovary out years before so he couldn't do keyhole so I had a vertical cut.  Everything went well and was just in hospital for 4 days.   My cyst turned out to be a serous cystadenofibroma which was completely benign thankfully 😀

• Posted

Hi Janet did you have to wait for biopsy results weeks after op or were you told straight after? My mums just had a large andexal mass removed a week ago, also attached to her bowel. Full hysterectomy was required and appendix removed. There was lots of fluid in and around tye cyst. Really worried about tge results.  
  • Posted

Thank you Janet.  So glad is was benign for you. I'm so grateful for all the information on this site.  My doctor rang me at 20.40 on Wednesday night and told me to go for the CA125 test. She is now on holiday, so I cannot ask her any questions until she returns on Tuesday.  So you can imagine my state of mind since Wednesday night!

Were you in a lot of pain after the operation?

Kathy

• Posted

Hi Kathy,

I totally understand your fears. I also just found out that I have a complex cyst (with septation) in my right ovary and I am worried. The GYN / oncologist (I hate the "O" word) said I needed to get it out asap, so I have a laparoscopy scheduled for October 15th. I have had this kind of procedure before for GI problems, and it is an outpatiant procedure, at least here in the US. Recovery is usually 2 weeks, but I was up and about in 2 days!! I DON'T recommend skipping the rest, though. I ended up having some problems because of I was too anxious to get back to work. I am only worried about the procedure because they will do a biopsy right then and there to figure out the nature of the cyst. (I don't want to mention the dreaded "M" or "C" words because I am hoping/praying that it won't be neither). That said, I was told that these kinds of cysts are mostly benign, even for people after their 50s (like us). So let's keep the faith that everything will be ok for both of us, as well for all other girls in this forum. Let 's stay in touch, and God bless you!

• Posted

Thank you so much l95692.  I would love to stay in touch.  Is there a way of private messaging on this site do you know?
    • Posted

Is in most of UK too if not then overnight stay at most
    • Posted

Hey Kath,

There is probably a way to email privately, but I am new on this website and I don't know how. Perhaps our friends in this forum knows?

By the way, I forgot to say my name (so sorry).

Take care,

Lorena

• Posted

You take care too Lorena, and keep in touch.  I don't have a date yet for my op or have the blood tests results but will let you know when I know more.

God bless you too!

Kathy

• Posted

Click on envelope symbol under members name want to message and will let you write one. Probable another way but newish myself so this is way I know. Hope helps

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.