Worried about large ovarian cyst, possible cancer and operation

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi Everyone

I am 60 and was diagnosed with a large ovarian cyst on Tuesday after a routine scan on my gallbladder.  The cyst is 8.7cm x 5.5cm approx 31/2 inches by 21/2 inches)  I had a CA125 blood test on Thursday afternoon because, although most of the cyst looks to be fluid, there is a solid part to it too (but don't know the result yet).  I am really worried about what is going to happen to me, whether it is cancer or not, but also how the operation will be done with such a big cyst.  Could they still do this with keyhole or will it need to be the bigger operation?

My doctor has referred me to the consultant as urgent to be seen within two weeks, but she is now on holiday until Tuesday so I cannot talk to her..

Has anyone else been in a similar situation (especially at my age)?  How did they do the operation and what did they remove, just the cyst, the ovaries as well, or more?  How long did it take to get over it?

I would be very grateful for any information anyone can give me please?

Best wishes

Kathy

1 like, 220 replies

220 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Just to let everyone know, my CA125 blood test came back normal.  I'm so relieved.  That's one hurdle over.  Still waiting to hear about my appointment to see the gynacologist to see what sort of operation I need though.
    • Posted

That is wonderful news, Kathy! What a relief! (phew!).

If your cyst is bothering, then likely they will suggest the keyhole apprach. If you are not feeling anything, then they may suggest waiting a bit.

I'll keep sending positive thoughts!

- Lorena

• Posted

Thanks so much Lorena.  It is bothering me and is quite big.  Getting aching sometimes and pain others, and I can feel it sticking out, so want it gone.  Hope it will be keyhole.

Hope you are doing OK today?  Positive thoughts to you also.

Kathy

• Posted

Keyhole(Laparoscopy), is the preferred option for NHS trusts as it  has many benefits for both the patient and the trust, (including a shorter or even non hospital stay), both mine were removed this way at the same time. One cyst was larger than usual but all they did was make one cut slightly larger, as in 2 or 3 cm as opposed to 1cm
    • Posted

Thank you Tazchurch.  That's very reassuring.  But I do wonder if they will remove my gallbladder at the same time, as I have a polyp in it (only small and being monitored)?  I hope not though.  All these things are worrying me and I have still not heard from the hospital about an appointment within the two weeks to see a gynacologist. I suppose it is early days, was only referred last Thursday.  Perhaps it will come today.

Thank you for your help.  It is nice to chat to someone who has been through it.

Best wishes

Kathy

• Posted

Gallbladder removal is usually done keyhole these days. May be at same time if decide to so just one op, all keyhole
    • Posted

That's good.  Thanks. But do you know if it would make my recovery slower?
    • Posted

Recovery times are shown as being the same so doubt it
    • Posted

Thankyou Tazchurch.  Had a call from my Doctor just now.  She says the next step (after seeing the gynecologist during the next two weeks) will probably be a CT scan.  So more waiting I guess?
    • Posted

Probably, hopefully not too long, but at least moving in right direction. Scan merely so knows position better for any op and options got, may decide on another  ultrasound rather than CT, ovary specific this time though.
    • Posted

OK Tazchurch.  Thanks for your help.  Will let you know how it goes.

xxKathy

• Posted

Don't be surprised though if get scan appointment through for before see the gynaecologist so they have a clearer picture before your appointment. Mine was going to be after but ended up a few days before so had results infront of them.
    • Posted

Thanks Kathy

Big hugs

Taz xxx

(real name Mandy if want it!)

• Posted

Ah I see.  That makes sense.  How long was it from the time you saw the gynaecologist to the time you had your operation please?
    • Posted

Thanks Kathy

Big hugs

Taz xxx

(real name Mandy if want it!)

• Posted

Thanks Mandy

How long did it take from the time you saw the Gynaecologist to the time you had your operation please?

Kathy xx

• Posted

Two months but I had to have extra tests due to having asthma and epilepsy as done GA, if not would have been about a month to 6wks, depends how busy hospital is as to the waiting list for you. Shouldn't be too long though.
    • Posted

Sorry seven weeks saw him 30th July and op 15th Sept
    • Posted

Have just received my appointment to see the gaenacolist next Wednesday. 

Can anyone tell me how they managed to sleep before they had their cyst removed?  I can't lie on my sides as this is painful and if I lie on my back then I get a pulling sensation in my pelvis.  The doctor said the cyst is sitting above my pelvis  and pushing up because of the size.  I would just love to get some sleep.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.