Worried about large ovarian cyst, possible cancer and operation

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi Everyone

I am 60 and was diagnosed with a large ovarian cyst on Tuesday after a routine scan on my gallbladder.  The cyst is 8.7cm x 5.5cm approx 31/2 inches by 21/2 inches)  I had a CA125 blood test on Thursday afternoon because, although most of the cyst looks to be fluid, there is a solid part to it too (but don't know the result yet).  I am really worried about what is going to happen to me, whether it is cancer or not, but also how the operation will be done with such a big cyst.  Could they still do this with keyhole or will it need to be the bigger operation?

My doctor has referred me to the consultant as urgent to be seen within two weeks, but she is now on holiday until Tuesday so I cannot talk to her..

Has anyone else been in a similar situation (especially at my age)?  How did they do the operation and what did they remove, just the cyst, the ovaries as well, or more?  How long did it take to get over it?

I would be very grateful for any information anyone can give me please?

Best wishes

Kathy

1 like, 220 replies

220 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Have just received my appointment to see the gaenacolist next Wednesday. 

Can anyone tell me how they managed to sleep before they had their cyst removed?  I can't lie on my sides as this is painful and if I lie on my back then I get a pulling sensation in my pelvis.  The doctor said the cyst is sitting above my pelvis  and pushing up because of the size.  I would just love to get some sleep.

• Posted

I propped myself up in a sitting position.

• Posted

May find best for you is what would call semi-recumbant position, this is half way between sitting and lying
    • Posted

Have been to see the gyneacologist this afternoon and am still confused.  Unfortunately, he didn't speak particularly good English and even though I asked him to explain again I am still none the wiser about some things.

I couldn't work out if he was saying that I would have both ovaries and fallopin tubes removed, then, while under the anesthetic they would then look at the cysts under the microscope (or whatever) and if there was a chance of cancer they would remove everything (not sure what, but it included the lymph glands), but if there was no cancer it would just be the ovaries and fallopin tubes.  However, my husband, who was with me, thinks that he said they would do the full thing anyway including the lymph glands, and if it was cancer I would have chemo?

On a positive note, he did says it was a 98% chance it would be keyhole with a 24 hour stay in hospital.  Can you help at all with this?

Best wishes

Kathy

• Posted

Sorry, also he is sending me for a CT scan next week but said I won't know the results of this, and they won't be conclusive about cancer anyway.
    • Posted

That is a common scenario and what they did with me. They remove as little as can then examine it while you are still under anaesthetic and do more if this shows should. If not will leave it there and sew up the incisions.

With me removed ovaries and fallopian tubes but as there were no indications needed to do more sewed up the incisions and that was that.

All keyhole.

• Posted

Thanks Tazchurch.  I hope that's what they are planning for me.  But are there some people who have had everything out even if they don't have cancer do you know, because of their age (I am 60)?  I really hope that's not the case with me.

Kathy

• Posted

Thanks Tazchurch.  That's reassuring. Unfortunately, I couldn't understand the surgeon very well so my doctor is going to find out what he said for me.  Will keep you posted.  Waiting for the CT scan appointment at the moment.
    • Posted

Hi Taz i had a full abdominal hysterectomy on the 12th Sep because of a 2lb cyst on my left ovarie.I went to see the gyni for my post op appointment on fri and she told me that there was early signs of cancer so now she as told me i have to have a CT scan to check everywhere else and i am so scared nott got the appointment threw yet.Do you no if this is common
    • Posted

Under these circumstances this is done as a matter of course. It is done to check there are no signs elswhere. However spread is so rare that in 30yrs my gynaecologist has not known it to happen. Given the length of time since the op they cannot be overly concerned.

However this is causing understandable concern so if you have not got a date for the scan by tommorrow or the day after ring them, you may find your gyni's secretary helpful here, you deserve this sorted sooner rather than later

Big Hugs

Taz xxx

• Posted

Hi Kath, my mum had a radical hysterectomy a week ago now. Shes not recovering too well as the cyst/adnexal mass was attached to her bowel as well. At pre op they told her they would remove everything anyway as a precaution. They took a disection from her nymph glands, possibly for staging. After op surgeon cane round to my muks ward and asked how she was. We had to ask her how/what was seen in op. She said they removed everything that we discussed and mums appendix looked sticky so they decided to remove that as well. She had alot of endometriosis scaring and lots of fluid in pelvic region. The cyst ruptured before op which possibly caused mum to collapse a month prior to this op. It also ruptured again whilst thry tried to drain it. Now the mass has been sent off to the lab, she didn't say whether ir looked malignant or not which is worrying.  So its a waiting game again. Im worried we go back to post op appointment and they tell us mum has cancer. She has had fluid cysts in her breasts before. Hoping and praying for a positive outcome. Has anyone had anything similar to this?
    • Posted

Hi Livi when is it you mum post op appointment.How is she feeling now is she getting stronger xxx
    • Posted

Hi Julie no appointment date yet rolleyes shes not recovering well at all at the moment.  Having a lot of bowel problems, she can't keep any food down. Where the cyst was also attached to her bowel which I think surgery is taking longer for mum to be able to go to the toilet properly. They have also said mum is anemic so shes been having these iron tablets which is making her have diarrhoea.  Shes loosing so much weight, very pale. Ive read you've got your ct scan due. I bet it will seem like forever. Its tye waiting that worries us all. My mum is being so brave about it all. Im too scared to mention the 'c' word to her but writing on here and talking to you all really helps. You've been Google ing like me too and im getting myself anxious state too. Well all do, we all think the worst. Im sure the worst part is over for you Julie and the surgery has done the trick. We are here if you need a chat. *sending virtual big hugs* you will be fine xxxxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.