Worried about neck pain

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all,

I have fibromyalgia/cfs with really bad health anxiety. My worst problem is the tiredness, I feel that I am asleep more than I am awake, and I have really bad one sided neck pain as well as all my other symptoms. Because of my health anxiety it makes me panick thinking that Ive got something seriously wrong like a tumor. The pain is usually ore on the left side, does anyone else have really bad neck pain or know how to ease this? (ive tried the usual heat etc)

Thanks, Holly

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Holly. Sorry to hear about your neck pain. I too get neck pain at times. At the moment I have enlarged lymph glands but recent blood tests indicate nothing wrong. It's very frustrating and I too sometimes think there must be more going on than CFS/ME, but then I hear of other people who suffer the same symptoms so I try to accept its all part of living with this roften illness! 
  • Posted

Thankyou for your replies, today has been an awful day with my neck pain and I've had a really bad headache. What confuses me is that the pain is majoritively on one side, the headache as well! Does anyone know why this could be ?
    • Posted

If you have ruled out tooth infection, then I guess the next step would be looking at tempomandibular joint disorder (TMJ/TMD). A quick scan on TMJ patients forum seems to point on fibro/TMJ relation.

TMJ is where the vagus nerve also seems to resides. So there it is, vagus nerve again! This symptoms seems to have more and more connecting line it seems..

• Posted

Hi Holly,

I glanced through this thread because of something dentalcfs said, but then I went back and read the whole thing. I don't know if I have anything to offer you, so I apologize in advance if I don't. I'm not-yet-diagnosed with CFS or anything other than being a pain in my doctors' backsides!  I have, however, been sick for about two years with things the doctors have not been able to cure. 

So let's address your symptoms - fatigue, and this neck pain. I think the fatigue speaks for itself and there are a lot smarter people on that subject. The neck pain though...is that worse after sleeping or is it just bad all the time? If's it's situation, things like massage, heat, changing sleeping position, etc. can help.

If not, have you had your thyroid checked? Thyroid pain does NOT only manifest itself at the front of the neck. It can be felt on the sides, up through the jaw, and into the ear. And I know from experience it can be both sharp and dull at different times and be terribly painful. There is a woman on this forum called sylvia and I can introduce you to her if you don't know her. She was misdiagnosed with CFS and it turned out to be her thyroid.

Hope that helps. Believe me, a couple years ago my health anxiety was pretty bad too, but two years of not dying has made me a lot less anxious. It hasn't made me any less frustruated, however, because I am still sick. The only thing that's really been helped is my dry eyes from punctal plugs.

Take care!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.