worried about period changes

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi, I'm new here and am really glad I found this site.  I'm 48 and have been perimenopausal for about 6-8 months. I'm exoperiencing acid reflux, bloating, anxiety, exhaustion.....

Since this all started I've had a few months where I have really light bleeding which seems like the start of a period but only lasts a day and then my period comes a few days later. This past week I have had really light bleeding for about 7 days. The first 2 day I used a tampon because it seemed like it was really a period starting. After that the blood has been very light on the toilet paper when I go to the bathroom.  I've had the usual period symptoms but as I say, very little bleeding and for 7 days. 

Is this normal? Have any of you experienced anything like what I've described? 

Thanks in advance. 

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I have had this also..it changes. I guess because of hormones changing so much, Hope this helps you feel better.
  • Posted

Hi Dk....I read your post above...sadly I have heard Sooooo many different types of the beginnings of menopause. Each of our bodies are so different; ya know? It does however sound like your bodies has some hormonal changes going on. I finally broke down just last month and ask my reg. Dr. to run a hormone level check to see where I was on this long journey ahead. He did and found me to have a very low hormone level count. Sooooo that confirmed what I really already knew. But it felt good just to confirm it ya know? To help me to just bite down and ready myself for the ride.... It's a riff run....It's kicking my butt. I too am bloating. Acid reflux medication has been a must for year's now. I'm 53 next Sunday and I haven't had a cycle in 5 month's straight. They say you have to first not have a period...not even spotting....for one full year before your even really in menopause full fledged. Well.....I hate to see what menopause is gonna feel like....if what I'm experiencing now isn't menopause lol.....ya know? Kinda like a scary movie trailer that goes on and on .Lmbo. I'm moody....bad I'm tired bad. Shoot...even my dog's beginning not to like me...j's. Anywho hope something I've said help's ya.This is a great forum here. Alittle more personal than the FB one's. ..I think....have any q's.....just text me back. Hold on...it's a ruff one...I admit.

• Posted

One of the first symptoms I had when all of this started. Spotting before and then after too. Seemed to go on for several days. Caused a lot of anxiety. I think it's just all part of the process. (Hugs)

• Posted

Dear denice

As I entered peri my periods had long gaps of about six weeks or so and then I had a stage of endless spotting, I did get a transvaginal ultrasound done because I wanted to make sure it was that and everything was OK, my advice is, if you are worried get it checked but it is what I went through and I have read others have too xx

• Posted

Almost anything is "normal" in perimenopause.  The wide swings in hormones and the out-of sync system will cause many variations.  Isn't it fun?  

There can also be variations with bleeding. Large clotting, and heavy bleeding,  usually means a lack of progesterone.  Spotting, can mean your progesterone level isn't strong enough to hold.  

As I was getting closer to meno, I would have a period every other month, then three months, and finally 1 every six months until they finally stopped.  

• Posted

Thanks for the info about progesterone. how long were you in peri?
    • Posted

Sorry it took so long to respond, somehow I just saw this.

It was approximately 10 years of perimeno for me.  But please know that it was just the first two years that were hard.  After I tried to use bio-identical hormones to help me out (HUGE failure)  I went off hormones and got back to my own system.  It took some time, but it did level out and calm down.  And I did really well for many years.  Yes, periods were not the exact 28 day cycles they were when I was younger, but certainly manageable.   Then periods slowly tapered, and over about a two and half year period they finally stopped.

Actual menopause was a breeze, until I go so into defiency that things really fell apart.  

• Posted

Hello can you please explain what you meant when you said until you went into defiance it got worse?
    • Posted

Sorry about my typo.  I meant when I got further into "deficiency".  

For a further explanation, every women with ovaries, even after menopause, are still producing estrogen/tesosterone.  Our adrenal glands are still producing some progesterone.  So for me, and others who have strong ovaries, our levels will be relatively high for a menopausal state.  Our production meets our needs, and therefore, we have very few symptoms to complain about.  It took my body approximately 3 1/2 years before I got into symptomatic problems with menopause, i.e. vaginal atrophy and dryness.  I was still wearing a two piece swimsuit at 57 (lucky me).  But then things really began to change.  

Hope this explanation helps.   

• Posted

Thanks gailannie. Every time I have a new symptom I am always trying to figure out which hormone is causing it. I have a graph I look at that shows where your hormones should be in relation to each other through a cycle. I am trying to keep track of symptoms on an app. I do all this to calm myself. If I can show myself that I am experiencing the same symptoms every month at the same point in my cycle then I feel like it's hormone related. Just makes me feel better

• Posted

I also had a transvaginal ultrasound when the spotting started just to be sure everything was okay
  • Posted

Thank you all for your replies! I truly appreciate hearing from people who are going through the same things!

I'm on day 9 of this 'spotting' although not even sure if it's fair to call it that. It's now only when I wipe and then just a very light coloured blood. I think here was a day or two in the middle where it stopped. Definitely feeling like a period should be here. Crampy etc. Really not enjoying this sad

• Posted

How are you doing? I am going through the same thing right now. All the cramps and moods of a period but only spotting now and again with most days only when I wipe, and not every time! It's driving me crazy!

• Posted

Hi Sabrina - I am feeling so much better than I was when I initially posted. Those were a tough two weeks. I had about twelve days of the exact spotting you describe (where it reads up being just on the tp) with a couple or three days on the middle where it stopped. I felt like I had my period. Cramping, severe bloating and MAJOR mood swings. I finally broke down and cried in my husband's arms because I was just so emotional and son drained. I actually started feeling better the next day. Still dealing with symptoms FOR SURE but not feeling quite as extreme ??  I hope that you are starting to feel a bit better? 

• Posted

I had the spotting for 9 days and after that felt much better as it felt like all the hormones lifted, but less than 20 days after and I started to bleed again. This time it seemed like it was actually going to be a period. Yesterday was the first day so it was light (but not just spotting) and random cramps. Prepared overnight to wake up to blood and nothing. I am so freaked about this! I want my normal periods back! I am so depressed and down. How are you doing now, Denice?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.