worried about period changes

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi, I'm new here and am really glad I found this site.  I'm 48 and have been perimenopausal for about 6-8 months. I'm exoperiencing acid reflux, bloating, anxiety, exhaustion.....

Since this all started I've had a few months where I have really light bleeding which seems like the start of a period but only lasts a day and then my period comes a few days later. This past week I have had really light bleeding for about 7 days. The first 2 day I used a tampon because it seemed like it was really a period starting. After that the blood has been very light on the toilet paper when I go to the bathroom.  I've had the usual period symptoms but as I say, very little bleeding and for 7 days. 

Is this normal? Have any of you experienced anything like what I've described? 

Thanks in advance. 

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi all of what you have said is what's happening to me I'm 49, & since the age of 46 I've missed periods had light to heavy periods my cycle had clicked back to being regular again & then this year my last period was with Sept 10th & I started not enough really to even class as spotting 9th Dec, I've got cramp feel bloated & ratty & generally feel rotten :-( so not looking forward to however many more years this will go on for...But one thing is for sure we all in this together, hope what I'm having had helped you to realise your not alone D x

• Posted

It was 10 years from the start of peri, to actual menopause. However, I need to mention that all those years it wasn't horrible.  My periods got strange for awhile, and then got more normal and regular.  And possibly, maybe I just got used to some the differences.  But for the most part, I felt ok, and my cycles continued on a monthy schedule. Just not the EXACT 28 day cycle I'd had in younger years.  

As I got closer to meno, my periods spread out to every other month, then three months, and finally 1 every six months until they stopped.  

• Posted

Thanks for the info. That's xactly where I am on this lousy journey; periods used to be every 27 days now down to 17 and spotting in between. I'm 53 so who knows how lng this will be. The have notic d that progesterone cream has helped but the sore breasts are killing me. My doxtor suggested iodine cream and I just st started using that. 

• Posted

That's interesting Mabel, as progesterone is normally thought to help with sore breasts.  Obviously if you are still haveing periods, albeit irregular, you are still producing enough estrogen for that.  Is your progesterone enough?  Are you using it for 14 days of the month?  

Progesterone really should help with sore breasts.  

• Posted

I have been using it more regularly now instead ok skipping, I have also started with the iodine cream, hopefully they will work soon.
  • Posted

Dear denice

I read somewhere that a woman will suffer period changes in peri even if they dont suffer any other symptoms, it's the most common symptom, I was someone who had normal (if not painful periods) and were regular most of the time. When I entered peri they started on the odd occasion getting heavy and clotty. Then I had a period of them being far apart and then I had the endless spotting, never really coming to a full period, which would go on for a few weeks. I found the change in my period quite stressful as it was not the normal regular period that I was used to! This was the start of peri and unfortunately I have probably had a taste of every symptom going after that! X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.