Worried about surgery, Did anyone have a pre med (sedative) before their operation?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm due to have gallbladder removed on the 14th Sept and to say I'm nervous is an understatement! It doesn't help that I'm suffering anxiety since the birth of my 3rd child 10 months ago and it's mainly about my health. I'm terrified of having an allergic reaction to the anaesthetic or bleeding out etc etc

I'm still worried I might change my mind about the surgery but I fear the pain will just increase in intensity and frequency. I have multiple gallstones and have been admitted twice since may with severe pain only IV morphine can touch. So every niggle I worry ill have another attack. However I'm not as bad as a lot of you in that I can still eat what I want I've been eating terribly these last two months and haven't had any attacks.

My first attack was in 2011 however it wasn't diagnosed as I didn't have ultrasound but it was exactly the same pain as the other attacks which means I went 4 years without an attack, this makes me think maybe I shouldn't have it removed.

Sorry I've gone off on a bit of a tangent there! My original question is did any of you have a sedative while you were waiting to be taken to surgery? I'm worried I'll run out of the ward as I'll be so anxious! Did you ask anaesthetist or did they offer?

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Michelle,, I've just had mine removed on wed.... They gave me something to make me drowsy but just before they gave me the full anaesthetic,,,, I had had enough of the attacks and like you feared the next one... Ask I'm sure they will give you something on the ward to chill you a little,,, let us know how it all goes x
    • Posted

Thanks for replying Jayne, how are you feeling now? I hope you're over the worst of the pain.
    • Posted

Hiya, I won't lie you will be uncomfortable for a few days.. I was given codeine when I left hospital which I was fine with pre op but gave me the pains similar (not as bad) to my gallbladder attacks (a friend of a friend had the same so I was aware quickly), the doc changed the pain killers and I rallied yesterday (4 days post op)... Sore in the mornings until I get going but definitely on the mend now..... So nice too that I don't feel the acid rising in the mornings or through the night, and that I can't eventually start to look forward again- it was beginning to control my life no matter how hard intruded not to let it ....x
  • Posted

I was also nervous even though I couldn't wait to have my gb removed so I asked for a valium to take the night before surgery and in the morning as my op was at 5 pm. I'm 3 months post surgery and feel like a new person, hope all goes well for you as well.
    • Posted

Hello Anna, did you ask your gp for the valium?

I've never taken benzodiazepines before did it work?

• Posted

Yes, I got it from my gp and it worked, I didn't get anxious or nervous at all.
  • Posted

Hi

I am due to have surgery on the 10th September and I have exactly the same fears as you. I am a very large woman so I am really concerned about my weight. Saying that if you weigh it up we really do not have a choice. The pain may go for a short time but it will always come back. When you go for your pre assessment mention it to them how anxious you are. I am going to

• Posted

Hello Sandra, I had my pre op straight after my appointment with the consultant! I had no idea it would happen on the same day as it was back in July and I didn't even have a date for surgery then. Was quite overwhelmed and has my baby with me so felt I needed to rush through it.

I have the number my the pre op nurse though so can give them a ring.

A lot of surgery is performed on overweight people, a lot of gallbladder surgery is performed by gi surgeons who also focus on bariatric surgery therefore they are very used to it.

• Posted

Hi Michelle

Your gall bladder probs will not go away . I stuck my head in the sand saying I haven't had an attack in three years etc.

At Xmas I became so unwell without any warning was jaundiced and found a stone had migrated from the ga bladder and had blocked the bile duct . Affecting my liver and making me very poorly indeed . The pain was horrendous . I couldn't eat any thing except dry baked potato and veg soup . I lost two stone in the 5 weeks waiting for a scan . I had an ERCP camera down throat to get the stone . This was dreadful . Then finally April this year they removed the ga bladder . I was nervous . But I have had a hysterectomy and this was an absolute breeze ! You CAN ask for a sedative and you will be given one. But the feeling of drifting off under the anaesthetic is very relaxing . You won't feel anxious about any thing if you have a sedative . You probably won't even be aware of whats going on!

There is little pain after the op - discomfort yes when you move too quickly and "forget".

Don't leave the gall bladder it won't heal and get Better.

You will need to be healthier when you have it out - there are things that aggravate me now and I get a dull ache in the same place where the gall bladder was - bolognese - cheesecake - I avoid them totally now .

I hope this helps

• Posted

Thankyou for your response Rachel, you are right ignoring the problem is not going to make it go away, It does need to come out the last thing I want is to be severely ill from a stone lodged in a duct like you were that sounds so awful I'm pleased you are ok now.

Making some changes to my diet will be a small price to pay for a life free if this pain and will also benefit my future health by eating more healthily.

• Posted

I was extremely anxious just before surgery so they put something in my IV beside nausea meds that made me almost happy going in the OP room....took all the fear away !!

This was at memorial south hosp. in Hollywood , Florida

• Posted

Hello Michelle,

I had mine taken out last week (Thursday) and like you was very anxious and they did give me something to calm me before I went into the theatre. I met with the anaesthetist and surgeon on the day of surgery and they prescribed it.

I had a pre-op assessment a week before surgery and found this really useful as they explained everything, gave me an opportunity to ask questions so I knew what to expect when I went into surgery.

I'm day 4 now and off the pain killers still in a bit of discomfort but managed to hoover this morning.  The pain from surgery is nowhere near as bad as the pain from the gallstones!

The only thing I wish someone had told me was to take in a bra with you that isnt wired and is quite loose!

Hope this helps and Good luck 

• Posted

Hello Dawn that is helpful thank you 😊. I have 3 young children 2 of which ill need to drop off and collect from school, my husband has only got 3 days off work so need to be able to walk to and from school (25 min walk each way) twice a day and look after the baby at home. I'm worried I wont be able to do it.

Thanks for the bra tip I hadn't even thought of that!

• Posted

hi Dawn - how long did you have to keep your dressings on? i agree about the bra bit too, im hoping that wears off though when everything settles down..also the bloating but apart from that also doing well now and pleased its all over :-)

• Posted

Hi Jayne, I was advised not to shower for 48 hours. After my first shower I changed the dressings and then again the next day. Second day today without dressings and the belly button and top scar are healing nicely the other two still quite sore. Tummy still a bit bloated and still have back ache but aside from that I'm feeling good. Good luck with your recovery 😀
    • Posted

Hi Dawn, thanks for your reply, it's a week tomorrow since my op so fab I think they can come off ... Yes I'm still pretty bloated too but everything else is getting easier by the day (still uncomfortable where my bra strap goes)... Hopefully onwards and upwards for us all now,, found these pages really useful,,, thanks and best wishes 😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.