Worried about surgery, Did anyone have a pre med (sedative) before their operation?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm due to have gallbladder removed on the 14th Sept and to say I'm nervous is an understatement! It doesn't help that I'm suffering anxiety since the birth of my 3rd child 10 months ago and it's mainly about my health. I'm terrified of having an allergic reaction to the anaesthetic or bleeding out etc etc

I'm still worried I might change my mind about the surgery but I fear the pain will just increase in intensity and frequency. I have multiple gallstones and have been admitted twice since may with severe pain only IV morphine can touch. So every niggle I worry ill have another attack. However I'm not as bad as a lot of you in that I can still eat what I want I've been eating terribly these last two months and haven't had any attacks.

My first attack was in 2011 however it wasn't diagnosed as I didn't have ultrasound but it was exactly the same pain as the other attacks which means I went 4 years without an attack, this makes me think maybe I shouldn't have it removed.

Sorry I've gone off on a bit of a tangent there! My original question is did any of you have a sedative while you were waiting to be taken to surgery? I'm worried I'll run out of the ward as I'll be so anxious! Did you ask anaesthetist or did they offer?

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi, I am going for my pre assessment on Monday so I will ask lots of questions and feed back to you. 
    • Posted

Thank you Sandra I appreciate it! One thing I didn't think to ask was whether you can wear underwear, I've read different things online some say yes as long as not in the way.

Also worried as to what happens if you are on your period on day of surgery.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.