Worried about upcoming MRI for an Ovarian Cyst

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hello everyone, 

Looking for some support and advice from women who have had similar experiences in dealing with Ovarian Cysts. 

So it all started about 2 years ago. I started to develop some abdominal discomfort, nothing too alarming, until one night I was doubled over in pain, leading to an ER visit. After some blood tests and several doctors telling me that I was constipated, I was sent on my way with antibiotics.

For the next year I just dealt with the annoying pain in my side that would come and go until once again, I got a severe stabbing pain in my left side that left me unable to walk straight. I immediately went to see a local doctor, who sent me for an abdominal ultrasound. When the results came back, I was informed that I had an Ovarian Cyst which was likely causing the pain. I was then scheduled for a transvaginal ultrasound just to further investgate. I wasn't too alarmed by this information as I know that cysts are quite common, so I waited about 3 months before finally booking my transvaginal ultrasound (stupid I know). When my results came in for my transvaginal ultrasound, I was told that my cyst had not gone away on it's own and hadn't changed in size. The doctor then told me that they wanted to book an MRI scan to see if surgery needed to be considered. This alarmed me. I am a 24 year old healthy woman who has to have an MRI scan? A lot of thoughts were swirling through my head that day, which I'm sure some of you can relate to. My MRI scan is booked for the end of this month, so I said to myself that until then, I needed to stay positive and try ot to think about it.

Fast forward to about 2 weeks later (4 days ago) and one night I could feel the pain slowly acting up. It was building and building until it got the the point where I couldn't sit still and I was making noises out of my control. My mam brought me to emergency straight away and when I got there I started to vomit the pain was that bad. They put me on a morphone drip and 2 other pain meds, none of which eased the pain,just made me less aware and a little drousy. 

Although my I'd told the doctor I have an ovarian cysts for which I have an MRI booked, he thought the pain was due to either contipation or kidney stones, so he ordered an X-Ray. The results came back that I was not constipated and there was no blood in my urine, so he didn't suspect kidney stones anymore. He then ordered A CT scan and finally upped my dosage of morphine which eventually worked and I fell asleep and stopped feeling the severity of the pain. 

The CT scan came back and the doctor told me that I had A LARGE Ovarian Cyst. I had not been told before that it was 'large' so this was news. He wanted an MRI scan done and I told him one was already booked, which he was happy about. He didn'y elaborate and sent me home with painkillers.

Now I am waiting and starting to freak out. What are the doctors not telling me? Why have they both ordered an MRI? Does this mean that there is something suspicious? I don't uderstand why after a CT scan, I need further testing. How does this not give them enough information to decide where to go from here? i know I shouldn't be thinking so negatively,but I'm starting to fear Ovarian Cancer. Has anyone else experienced anything like this and it turned out to be OK? I would really appreciate some advice on this, I'm terrified. 

Thank you so much, 

Amanda xo

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I have had exactly the same issues as you! Have you had a CA125 blood test? This is used to check for possible ovarian cancer, so would be worth having to rule it out. I really don't think you need worry though, this type of cancer is rare in someone your age, it's usually post menopause women who are most at risk. I don't know why an MRI is needed but I would ring or visit your doc and ask them just to put your mind at rest. It's perhaps just so they can see better how it is attached and what type of cyst it is as there are a few different ones. Louise x
    • Posted

Thanks Louise! Haven't had that blood test but if I experience any more pain in the meantime, I will ask my Doctor about it. It's comforting to hear that someone else has experienced this. Thanks so much, Amanda x
  • Posted

I was diagnosed with an ovarian cyst last year and had the transvaginal scan and CA 125 test and even thought my doctor was sure it was a dermoid cyst (and it was) I was still sent for an mri scan. It's generally just routine, they are being thorough which is a good thing. I had iodine injected into my vein to show up everything, it can feel quite strange when it goes in and it feels like you're weeing but you're not don't worry! Try not to get yourself worked up, even though I did myself. Theyre just looking after you x

• Posted

Hi Lynda! Thanks so much. That makes me feel better that it is most likely routine. I know I'm in the best hands and I'm grateful that they're being thorough. Good to know about the iodine too, I can be a bit panicky so at least I'm prepared for this. Hope you're back to full health after your experience with this. Amanda x
    • Posted

You're welcome :-) I'm great now thanks, had it removed by keyhole. I was a complete worrier and suffer from anxiety too so I know how youre feeling but you'll soon be sorted out and you'll look back like I am now and breathe a sigh of relief (and maybe giggle at yourself for worrying so much) x
  • Posted

Hi Amanda. try not to worry too much, sounds similar to me. I had a very large cyst 20cms plus and was completley fine. The tests you are having are very routine, I had CT with contrast, CA125 and also tumor marker blood tests - they do all this out of routine as they have to check to be on the safe side. Trust your doctors and try not to stress, believe me I am the worlds worst worrier and anxiety huh tell me about it !! I am sure all will be well, try to take it easy and trust what they are telling you is the truth xx
    • Posted

Thank you so much! Had my MRI this morning and I wasn't as nervous as I thought I'd be. The nurses really know how to keep you calm, it's just uncomfortable more than anything. So she said I will get my results in a few days- at least the wait is almost over and I can put the worrying behind me. Reassuring to know it's just routine X
  • Posted

Hey Amanda,

This sounds very similar to what I'm going through. I am 25 and have a similar story with being rushed to A&E in pain, having an abnormal ultrasound scan.

My MRI picked up a 10cm complex cyst on my left ovary and 2 smaller on my right which my consultant said need to be removed. Within a month of my MRI I was in hospital having all 4 removed by laparoscopic surgery.

Tomorrow will mark 2 weeks after my surgery. I'm still getting a few cramps which is normal but my 3 incisions are practically healed.

I also got a letter yesterday to say that after a biopsy, all 3 cysts were benign so happy days!

I'm sure you will be fine as cysts are common in for girls our age.

Good luck xx

• Posted

Hi Kayla! Sorry to hear you went through all of that, it's scary. But I'm delighted for you that you've got it all sorted and that all of your cysts were benign. Thanks so much for your encouragement. Had my MRI this morning and she said id have the results in a few days so eagerly awaiting the results but I'm relieved that the mri is out of the way and I'm one step closer to getting it sorted. Hope you're feeling better and thanks again. Xx
  • Posted

I just came back from the ER due to this dull pain in my left pelvic area and also in my lower back down into my thighs. The doctor took blood and urine at first to see if that raised any flags - none. Then he did a pelvic exam and when he went to my left ovary I felt the pain. So I'm going for an ultrasound soon to see what's there. I didn't have any nausea or vomitting but I'm scared so much sad I'll be 32 this year and it worries me this may affect having children so I hope that's not the case. Although I can't speak to happy results (yet) I wanted to say how this forum is helping me with my seaching the Internet and diagnosing myself with every scary thing imaginable. Thanks for posting about this subject. And hope everything goes well with you. Keep updating! Xoxox
    • Posted

Hi Janine! Hope you're feeling better now and not worrying too much. It's quite scary not knowing what's going on, I have been the very same and so anxious about the whole thing. I have to say though that the doctors have been wonderful and they have taken extremely good care of me. I just had my mri this morning and will have the results in a few days. Although I'm nervous I feel a lot better knowing that they're doing all they can to make sure they're getting to the bottom of it. I hope you're doing ok and aren't worrying too much, it's good to come on here to get support from women going through the same thing. Everyone on here have been wonderful in helping me cope with the worry. Try to keep positive and keep me posted on how you get on. Amanda xx
    • Posted

Glad to hear the doctors are doing all they can for you. I went for a few tests and turned out it wasn't an ovarian cyst (after having a pelvic exam and pelvic ultrasound). They weren't sure what the issue was and the pain eventually went away. The doctor said that one of the main reasons women my age come in to see the doc is due to pelvic pain. So I hope it's nothing since the doctors don't seem worried. Keep us all updated on what happens with you. Sending positive thoughts your way smile
  • Posted

All these stories sound very similar to what i had a few years ago! Went back and fore to doctors with unexplained pains! I got fed up of my own dr giving me tablets for things such as irritable bladder so went private. Turns out i had a ovarian cyst the size of a grapefruit! i had various scans, an MRI scan and then keyhole surgery. After op i thought id be quite sore but was up and about within a few days. I also had the blood test which came back quite high so this was a worry but turns out ive got Endremetriosis so that can give a high reading! Good luck!
  • Posted

Hi amanda10740,

Did you have any bad reactions to the contrast dye used in the MRI? I'm afraid to have the contrast used. Thank you

• Posted

Hi there,

I have MRI scans twice a year now, and I feel no side effects from the constatar dye! Don't worry too much, the only thing I would recommend in an MRI scan is to keep calm and relax! It gets annoying laying still for ages! With the contrast dye it felt cold when they injected me but nothing else!

Hope this helps!

Hannah

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.