Worried about upcoming MRI for an Ovarian Cyst

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hello everyone, 

Looking for some support and advice from women who have had similar experiences in dealing with Ovarian Cysts. 

So it all started about 2 years ago. I started to develop some abdominal discomfort, nothing too alarming, until one night I was doubled over in pain, leading to an ER visit. After some blood tests and several doctors telling me that I was constipated, I was sent on my way with antibiotics.

For the next year I just dealt with the annoying pain in my side that would come and go until once again, I got a severe stabbing pain in my left side that left me unable to walk straight. I immediately went to see a local doctor, who sent me for an abdominal ultrasound. When the results came back, I was informed that I had an Ovarian Cyst which was likely causing the pain. I was then scheduled for a transvaginal ultrasound just to further investgate. I wasn't too alarmed by this information as I know that cysts are quite common, so I waited about 3 months before finally booking my transvaginal ultrasound (stupid I know). When my results came in for my transvaginal ultrasound, I was told that my cyst had not gone away on it's own and hadn't changed in size. The doctor then told me that they wanted to book an MRI scan to see if surgery needed to be considered. This alarmed me. I am a 24 year old healthy woman who has to have an MRI scan? A lot of thoughts were swirling through my head that day, which I'm sure some of you can relate to. My MRI scan is booked for the end of this month, so I said to myself that until then, I needed to stay positive and try ot to think about it.

Fast forward to about 2 weeks later (4 days ago) and one night I could feel the pain slowly acting up. It was building and building until it got the the point where I couldn't sit still and I was making noises out of my control. My mam brought me to emergency straight away and when I got there I started to vomit the pain was that bad. They put me on a morphone drip and 2 other pain meds, none of which eased the pain,just made me less aware and a little drousy. 

Although my I'd told the doctor I have an ovarian cysts for which I have an MRI booked, he thought the pain was due to either contipation or kidney stones, so he ordered an X-Ray. The results came back that I was not constipated and there was no blood in my urine, so he didn't suspect kidney stones anymore. He then ordered A CT scan and finally upped my dosage of morphine which eventually worked and I fell asleep and stopped feeling the severity of the pain. 

The CT scan came back and the doctor told me that I had A LARGE Ovarian Cyst. I had not been told before that it was 'large' so this was news. He wanted an MRI scan done and I told him one was already booked, which he was happy about. He didn'y elaborate and sent me home with painkillers.

Now I am waiting and starting to freak out. What are the doctors not telling me? Why have they both ordered an MRI? Does this mean that there is something suspicious? I don't uderstand why after a CT scan, I need further testing. How does this not give them enough information to decide where to go from here? i know I shouldn't be thinking so negatively,but I'm starting to fear Ovarian Cancer. Has anyone else experienced anything like this and it turned out to be OK? I would really appreciate some advice on this, I'm terrified. 

Thank you so much, 

Amanda xo

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi,

MRI is normal for this kind of thing. My cyst was found through an MRI scan and then further checked out by TVS and CA125 blood test. The only thing I can say is that the doctors on the NHS can be amazing and idiotic at the same time. I'm a 20yo female, and was waiting over a year on waiting list for my surgery ( I called every day and was told I was high priority due to me moving September 2016 to Spain). Large cysts cause a lot of pain, and I would just take it easy and stick to fluids especially if you feel that your food is sitting on top of your stomach. Similarly, check in with your hospital consultant every week, just to remind them that you are still waiting and that the pains are getting worse.

Hannah

• Posted

Hi I too have a 3&6cm conpl x cyst

Had an mri on Friday and am awaiting results

I’m petrified it’s cancer

What was the outcome of your mri? Was your cyst benign? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.