Worried my incisional hernia repair is failing after 2 weeks

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, I had an emergency appendectomy earlier this year and I developed a hernia soon after - I think I did too much too soon (I wasn't given a great deal of information after my surgery).

My hernia was repaired 2-weeks ago via key hole surgery. The surgeon described it as a ' large abdominal defect'. I stayed in hospital overnight and went home the next day. In hospital, I only experienced pain in moving but after a bumpy, hour long journey home I found I was in pain constantly - something which has continued. In addition to the pain I also experienced severe constipation and very bad pain in coughing and sneezing.

We went away to a hotel for Christmas Day and I really struggled when it came to sitting at the table. Driving home we got caught up in traffic and the journey took over 3 hours, by which time I was not feeling at all well. I got very little sleep overnight and today I'm more swollen than a week ago and nothing is getting rid of the pain. I had a sneezing fit this afternoon and while holding my side I noticed a lump where my hernia had been. I paid down and the lump went. My husband placed his hand on my abdomen and asked me to cough - he said he could feel a lump 'appear' when I coughed.

I'm really worried that I've damaged the repair. I have been very careful but I'm starting to panic that the constipation and travelling has not done me any favours.

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi there I went in for a inscional repair 12/18 stayed overnight then that night it was open. I got this from a kidney donation in April to my sister. Friday I noticed in the hospital my stomach got big were the hernia was. Dr came in and said its seeking from the surgery. I said it seems like it's back . Well as the today went on that could regulated my bp is was so low. And then they did blood work my hemoglobin was low I received 2 blood transfusions and still low bp. I was then taken to ICU for monitoring. They did a cat scan showed a pool of blood in there. I then was sent back to the operating room they opened me back up They did a washout and took 500 ml of blood out of the area and I had a small bleed they had to fix. I was fine after. Bp started going up and gave me one more unit of blood because I lost so much.. I have 2 drains . I was then moved to a regular floor the next day. I was in the hospital for 5 days from a out patient procedure. I am good just resting. Drains come out Tuesday. Also on top of this I stated to develop a phenonia . So I am on antibiotics. And Tylenol and stool softener. If it's that big I would contact the dr. Are you running a tempature. I hope all is good for you

Keep me posted.

• Posted

Good gracious! Are you ok now?

I tested yesterday and my temperature was pretty much ok. I started off at 38.2 and now it's 37.7. I'm still very tender across my abdomen but mostly at the site of where the hernia was repaired. I cannot stand for long without feeling as though something is tearing. I can hear bowel sounds again - exactly as before the surgery - but I don't know if this is normal for a repair.

I'm going to make an appointment with my GP first thing Tuesday when the surgery reopens.

Thank you for your help and I really hope your recovery goes well.

• Posted

It's true when I stand up a lot it hurts. But the belt helps me. I think the mesh was 10x3. Looking forward to Tuesday to get the the drains out and see exactly what he did. I do know it was larger then exspected and he had to over lap if to reinforce it. I am just warm I guess I should 2 surgeries in a weekend. At least I am home. Keep me posted on I go Tuesday I will let you know

Have a nice day

Carol

• Posted

I would wear a abdominal belt.
    • Posted

I wear a belt still, over a year since my open incisional herna repair using mesh. Mainly as a precaution and because I find it comfortable. There is a bulge, but apparently it's fat. Glad you are getting yours checked! 
    • Posted

Hernia, not herna of course. And you will get it checked, won't you? All the best. 
    • Posted

How are feeling John. Before surgery my bulge was huge above my belly bottom. It's gone now. But that had to go back in and stop the bleed.
    • Posted

I seem to be ok still thanks. I still worry about the bulge, but my surgeon and Dr assure me that it is me. To quote, "it's what we surgeons call fat!" With a wry smile. I will try to lose a few kg's next year. Hmmmm. My bulge was huge too. I might see how to send a photo, but it's not nice. The hernia was in the scar after emergency bowel cancer. Hope you don't have any further problems! I don't have a belly button now... Best wishes for 2016. 🌞
    • Posted

I think I know how to send a photo, but don't panic, I won't! Good you are being positve. I'm trying, but have my bad times, mostly concerning the bowel cancer. 2 years ago, but 5 is the long waiting time. All follow up tests fine so far. But that's for another forum, so it's goodnight from me...
  • Posted

I would have it checked immediately... Please...

I will se a new surgeon on 1/04/2016... I will have him take a very good look at things.... Cat-scan...(CT)  or... MRI or whatever he needs to do... must get tgis fixed... for good... God bless and best of luck too... Thanks,

• Posted

Yep, you're right. I want to get back to normal activities and exercise but that's not going to happen if the repair is damaged.

I'm going to make an appointment with my GP first thing Tuesday when the surgery reopens. Thank you for your help, and please take care. Good luck in January. Fingers and toes crossed the new surgeon can find out what's wrong and fix it.

• Posted

Keep me posted. Curious what the new surgeon says. Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.