Worried my incisional hernia repair is failing after 2 weeks

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, I had an emergency appendectomy earlier this year and I developed a hernia soon after - I think I did too much too soon (I wasn't given a great deal of information after my surgery).

My hernia was repaired 2-weeks ago via key hole surgery. The surgeon described it as a ' large abdominal defect'. I stayed in hospital overnight and went home the next day. In hospital, I only experienced pain in moving but after a bumpy, hour long journey home I found I was in pain constantly - something which has continued. In addition to the pain I also experienced severe constipation and very bad pain in coughing and sneezing.

We went away to a hotel for Christmas Day and I really struggled when it came to sitting at the table. Driving home we got caught up in traffic and the journey took over 3 hours, by which time I was not feeling at all well. I got very little sleep overnight and today I'm more swollen than a week ago and nothing is getting rid of the pain. I had a sneezing fit this afternoon and while holding my side I noticed a lump where my hernia had been. I paid down and the lump went. My husband placed his hand on my abdomen and asked me to cough - he said he could feel a lump 'appear' when I coughed.

I'm really worried that I've damaged the repair. I have been very careful but I'm starting to panic that the constipation and travelling has not done me any favours.

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Thank you all for your help. I'm new to the website and was worried about posting, but I had no need to be.

As mentioned, I'm going to 'take the bull by the horns' and stop being afraid that I might annoy a doctor and/or surgeon if I go back so soon. I need to know if there's a problem or not.

I'm going to make an appointment with my GP first thing Tuesday when the surgery reopens.

Sorry for the typos in my original post.

• Posted

Hi Elli thanks for posting, I had incisional hernia last september.  The hernia was caused by a laprotomy to repair my perforated bowel, caused by adhesiones from 3 C sections many years ago.

About 6 weeks ago I had severe gastroenteritis for which I was hospitalized for 8 days, I am now fully recovered from the severe infection, but my hernia repair feels as if it has been compromised and it is painful in parts of my abdomen when I walk, I am due to see my doctor on the 15th January when I will ask him to check me out.  Thank you for posting, it has encouraged me to ask for help/advise.

• Posted

You've been through the mill. Are you ok now?

My doctor is unsure. I'm still very tender and the advice is to wait for my hospital follow-up, which should be within the next 2 to 3 weeks.

Let me know how you get on. Fingers crossed all will be ok for you.

• Posted

Hello Elli I am almost fully recovered now thank you, abdomen much better, still got my little lumps so I will ask, when I see my doctor on 15th January.  My only comment to you, is that hernia surgery is very painful, if your hernia has not returned, which I hope is the case for you, you must rest to let your body heal and recover.  It has taken me 8 weeks to recover from gastro enteritis, healing is hardwork for our bodies.  Do take care I will look out for your posts and pray that you will have good news.
  • Posted

Ok, update time. It's just over 5 weeks since my surgery and I'm still experiencing pain. If I bend down I feel like something is stabbing me, and driving is still difficult. I got stuck in traffic on Monday and by the time I got home I was ready to cry from the discomfort (90 minutes to go less than 10 miles - lots of stop/start and braking).

My 'shape' is the same as before the surgery. I still get pain when urinating or having a bowel movement, or if I cough or sneeze. Lying flat is a no-no, and turning on to my side is uncomfortable. I can feel a small lump appear if I cough or sneeze when lying down. Standing up it's difficult to tell if there is a lump as the site is still hard to the touch.

I haven't had my follow-up appointment come through from the hospital yet, but I did manage to get a telephone consultation with my GP. My GP thinks I either have a weak spot in the repair - or the fibrous tissue around the edge of the hernia has torn away from the mesh and I have a second hernia. If it's a weak spot this will heal on it's own but will take time, lengthening my recovery. If its the latter, well that means more surgery. Basically, she said I need my follow-up appointment plus an ultrasound, and the sooner the better. I'm actually thinking of paying for a private ultrasound in case I have to wait six weeks or so if I go via the NHS. I rather know now what's going on instead of waiting, and end up with (potentially ) another incision large hernia. It's all good fun..not

• Posted

Thanks for the update. Sorry to read that you are still having problems. All I can suggest is if you have to wait weeks for an appointment, then do go privately? Peace of mind and of course, another hernia could just get bigger as you said. I'm much the same. Didn't lose any weight, but not a good time to try during December! At least I didn't gain any. Next check up in April. Not for the cancer or hernia, just a regular check. Best wishes...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.