Worried Sick.

Posted , 6 users are following.

Very anxious. Im 52, male, overweight, like a beer or 10 but have never smoked. I've had acid reflux for about 15 years but this bout is Acid reflux like I've never known or its osophageal cancer. Currently taking 40mg Esomeprazole and 2 x 130mg Ranitadin daily. Usually need only the Esomeprazole to keep symptoms under control. Classic symptoms: lump in throat, heartburn but with the new symptoms of cough, and chest and back pain AND dysphagia. I've never had it before. Coughed up 1 small piece of food yesterday. Either that or I regurgitated it which happens a lot. Due for endoscopy for reassurance. Had previous endoscopy in 2006 & 2009: both clear as a bell.GPs say it's not cancer this time either. Bloods 2 months past and this week. Both good. Always worry during flare ups but this one has really topped the lot . I'm terrified especially with the dysphagia/ coughing up. Can anyone reassure me?

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi, i have severe problems with acid, I have sliding hiatal hernia, oesophigitus , been taking lanzoprosole  for years came off for a break to see if it had heLed itself, took acv in water fir few months but then had very bad pains in chest neck, breathing problems, bad breathing problems out if the blue, got put  back on pills and it's gone away, so as. Much as I hate taking pills it's so much better than all that pain burning throat, breathless etc. ask doc to change to lapranazoke ,   I do t think you should be taking Zantac or ranitadine with omeprazole, chemist told me not to do that as one negates the other.   You should only take gaviscon , especially before bed and after eating, it is so miserable you have all my sympathy,, a glass if wYer before bed helps, anti biotics akwYs makes mine flare up badly... Hope you get on top of it soon it's miserable, I asked doc about being worried about the burning constantly in my throat where acid burning, said I was very worried about it causing cancer, she said not to worry not doing that  x
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply. I worry as a rule anyway. Can't help it. But this time it's worse. It was my GP who prescribed the Ranitidine to supplement the Esameprazole to counter this flare up. Something is causing it. My endoscopy is to see if I have Helicobacter or things like that and in the words of my Dr, to reassure me that I don't have cancer. I hope to God she's rGodight.
  • Posted

Drinking is not going to help at all. In a way it spoils whatever else you do. So you take the medication and get their side effects and then you negate any help they may give you by drinking. It builds up and you get worse. But the solution is in your own hands.
    • Posted

Hi there. I haven't had any alcohol for a week now but the symptoms of dysphagia only came on on Friday. I'm so anxious because of this. Honestly, if I was told to abstain for life or else, I think I could do it. I'm due at my GO tomorrow so will bring her up to date and see what she says. Thanks for your reply.
    • Posted

A week is not a long time with this. It takes a laot longer for the alcohol you had before to leave the system and your liver to repair itself. You will gradually get better all round if you can stop drinking al together and give it time.
    • Posted

Hi, thanks for your reply. I intend to abstain in the hope that my symptoms improve. My fear though is the dysphagia and coughing up food which I first experienced on Friday. I know that's usually the symptom for oesophageal cancer. I hope it can happen in severe acid reflux or oesophagitis too, especially with high level of anxiety.
    • Posted

Think with the anxiety it is likely., Anxiety can do so many horrible physical things.

But please stop drinking. Please also cut down on sugar, refined and processed foods, fried foods, eat a lot more vegetables, less carbohydrates and proteins. It will all he.lp with your health overall.

• Posted

Thanks for the advice. If this IS a flare up of acid reflux and nothing sinister I intend to pay more attention to triggers etc and my general health. Re anxiety, I do suffer from it a lot. Hopefully this is what's causing the dysphagia.  Guess I'll find out in the next few weeks.....
    • Posted

Ok. But some peole with these things have triggers, not all of them. Peole keep teling me to watch if I eat tomatoes or this or that but none of it makes any diference. I used t5o get a stomach ache if I drank cofee, now I can drink it all the time no problem. I put this down to being generally healthier and taking fibre capsules alot. If you have acid reflux due to the splincter being loosened then the diet makes no difference, the problem is the weak connection.
    • Posted

Regarding your assertion that acid reflux is caused by a week connection ie hiatus hernia- I am inclined to agree with you in that my acid reflux is brought on much more by movement eg picking things up off the floor , bending over to pick up the grandchildren -than anything I eat or drink. if this is the case then is surgery the only answer ?
    • Posted

Hi Jan. About six months ago my acid reflux was very bad. I would bend down and it would rush up and I was scared to move. I went on pp1s and tried them all, also pp2s, but the side effects were terrible and made life unbearable so I stopped., But I did notice when I took them that my headaches, nose and ears felt better. This is how I worked out I had silent acid reflux, and the doctor agreed. I then read about alternatives to these horrible medicines and tried bicarbonate and it helps me a lot. I use it as a painkiller.

It makes no difference what I eat. Now I CAN bend down etc no problem. There are herbs you can take to strengthen that muscle, you would hvae to google which ones.

A lot of p0eople go on about how you mkust change your diet. It works for them but it doesnt mean it will work for you or be neessary. If I change my diet it makes no difference and it is a huge sacrifice to give up the foods you .love. It is also not practical when you eat with others or go to restaurants. S\o why go to such drastic lengths?

• Posted

Chris,

You need to make some drastic changes to your life or you really will have to worry!!  As I just posted to someone else, please read Dr Jamie Koufman's book "Dropping Acid, The Reflux Diet and Cookbook Cure."  

The diet and way of eating really worked for me but in a nutshell:

Eat low fat and low acid foods (there is a list in the book).

No chocolate, no beer (sorry), no carbonated beverages or sparkling water (book explains why).

No  deep fried foods.

No food 3 hrs before bed.

One cup of coffee in the am is OK.

i know, too many  "NOs" but this is our lot in life.  You are not alone.

Susan

• Posted

Thanks Susan, for the advice. It helps to know there are others who have got through this too. As I said earlier, my daily dose of 40mg of Esameprazole ensured that I could practically eat and drink what I want. But for some reason it no longer does, hencebme being prescribed the Ranitidine to help. My anxiety is over the reason for the Esameprazole no longer working. My GP thinks it may be Helicobacter and that's why I'm referred for another endoscopy. That and to reassure me. And since food (ok, only 1 little part) got stuck in my throat a couple of days ago I'm terrified. My wife told me this happened during a previous flare up and the GP said it was anxiety. The subsequent endoscopy found my oesophagus to be in perfect condition, yet Id been in a lot of pain. I hope its the same result this time.
    • Posted

I'm sure half your problems are being triggered by your anxiety, the mind can effect the body, giving you physical symptoms. I'm sure that your GP can see that your previous test results show no abnormality and you are keeping on top of it with regular endoscopes. Try to look at relaxation and meditation to relax yourself when you are feeling anxious, take care keep strong.
    • Posted

Hi Suzanne,  Thanks for your comments. My last endoscopy in 2009 and the other in 2006 did indeed show no abnormalities. But since 2010 when my Dad died, I've been drinking lots of lager. Far more than the daily recommended limits and I've put on a lot of weight. When I consider these risk factors, I convince myself my symptoms are more than acid reflux. I'll have to try and keep myself calm till my appointment. Thanks again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.