Worries about alendronic acid

Posted , 39 users are following.

Hi everyone.I am new to this forum.I started taking Alendronic acid for the first time yesterday.I have had a bone density scan which shows i have oesteoporosis.I am 59 years old,considered myself quite fit until last June,I have read the side effects of these tablets and what other people have put about them.I am quite scared about taking anymore.I felt fine yesterday after taking mu first tablet,but today I feel lousy.Everywhere aches,just dont feel right.Has anyone else experienced side effects after just one tablet.look forward to anyones comments.

8 likes, 75 replies

75 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi there .... I took my first pill this morning! It is 9.30 pm now and I feel terrible!! I feel achy and fluey .... my tummy feels sore and my throat is sore too! All this after just one tablet!

I am calling my GP first thing tomorrow morning. I came on this site hoping to find out about the side effects of this drug and it is horrifying to read about everyone's experiences.Surely there must be an alternative drug to this? I am 58 years old and broke an ankle by just falling over about 5 years ago. Was diagnosed with early onset Oesteoporis and now it has progressed into the real thing in my spine ....

The perils of old age!!

• Posted

59, female. Well, I took AA for 6 weeks with no side effects, unless you count concern about the scary side-affects. Nevertheless, I decided that I did not want to embark on such a serious drug without further discussion - with an expert rather than a recently qualified GP in her 20s. I saw an endocrinologist, the Head of Nuclear Medicine at my local hospital who said "your GP is treating your T scores rather than you as a whole person". "You are fit and well and active, with no family history of osteoporosis, you do not need this drug". He took me off AA with immediate effect ("its overkill") and said he would recommend raloxifene instead "but if you wanted to take nothing, I would support that too". My t-scores had showed I had osteopaenia and my GP immediately prescribed AA as though she was prescribing aspirin for a headache and a plaster for a skin cut. Without thought or asking about my lifestyle or family history. The endocrinologist recommended another scan in 2 years on the same machine as apparently the machines can vary. Then reconsideration.
  • Posted

WARNING ..

Sorry for the dramatics but this must not be missed.

I am 44 PRE menopausal and I was diagnosed worth Osteoposrosis June last year. I was low risk. I was though prescribed AA by a new GP. ( not the diagnosing GP). After reading lots of negative press about AA .. Ie the stuff of threads like this, I decided not to take it. I was otherwise fit and well and figured diet and exercise would take of it.

WRONG

I am presently recovering from a severely shattered broken in multiple places wrist. I am Now HIGH RISK osteoporosis.

I have been told by GP and Pharmacist and Fracture Cinsultant, things would lt be so bad as this ( re my broken wrist) had I been taking the AA.

SO, I am now one month in on the AA. only side effect is slight tiredness the following day of taking it. Otherwise no side effects I am aware of.

I am posting this as a warning because I ignored the advice of the only person prepared to prescribe to me as a PRE menopausal female and am now paying a hefty price. Consider not taking AA very carefully. The choice as always is yours.

• Posted

So sorry to hear that Toon, I had a density scan and was told by my I that I was border line osteoporosis..

So I began to take note and eat healthier drinking milk yogurt Kefir also regularly drinking kalet or Spinch with other vegetables. Doing a fair bit of exercise which I am about to increase.

I am 48 year.

I have been taking calcium magnesium vvitamin D, zinc.

I have been reading comments obout taking AA which are not good.

I can hope all is well.

Thank You for sharing.

• Posted

Sorry for all those nasty typos, one finger typist presently!
  • Posted

One thing to also note re the five yr break ( my GP has told me I will be on it continuously ) is that AA only protects the bones while you're taking it. So what do you do when you're taking a break? Have a break perhaps?
  • Posted

Hi Toon,

I am in the same position you were at twelve month ago,not knowing if to take AA or not,

It's made me think reading your post maybe I should go on it, what was your T-score befor and what

Is it now?did you take extra vitD and calcium after you were diagnosed and the recommend exercise?

It would be interesting to know!

Hope you wrist gets better soon.Ann

• Posted

Have been on Alendronic Acid for about six and a half years. Visited GP last week and told her that I understood there had been new guidelines issued with regard to length of time that is beneficial for taking these tablets. She confirmed that that is the case and seemed mildly surprised that I was aware of this. As it is now believed that the bulk of the benefits occur within the first five years and that the drug stays in the body for a good number of years, in consultation with her, I am now taking a one year break from the medication and will have a DEXA scan in 12 months to see what, if any, change there has been. If thought appropriate, I can, of course, re-commence the medication.
    • Posted

I am informed that after five years of AA, It has done all that it can and further dosage will serve no useful purpose except to fill the coffers of big pharma. With a half life of five years, you can expect coverage for many years after ceasing consumption. Of course, because of the way the drug functions, brittle bones are quite on the cards!
    • Posted

Hi, is brittle bones a definite side effect of alendronic acid?  I have taken one so far, no major side effects immediately apparent but jury is out so to speak, but i would much prefer to find a natural way if i could.   
    • Posted

Hi Carrie,

The brittle bones part is a direct result of the action of alendronic acid but it cannot be said that you will get brittle bones, just that the probability of this increases with time. The AA inhibits the reabsorption of old bone whilst permitting the laying down of new bone. The bone, all of it, ages and the older bone becomes brittle and hard and can shatter quite easily. The normal bone turnover is fairly quick but I haven't the figures to hand at the moment. Going the natural way will mean that you will probably have to take supplements such as vitamins D3 & K2-7 along with calcium, magnesium and ZINC. The repair process won't work properly without zinc which forms the matrix with collagen upon which the new bone is laid down.

I'm fairly sure that the above is correct but I'll soon hear if I've made any mistakes.

All the best with your choices - it's not easy

Aristotle

• Posted

Hello Aristotle

You seem to know a bit about AA !

I have been taking since March for PMR

I will need another Patella Femoral Knee R and fusion of mid-tarsal joint in my foot in the next 5/2 yrs

I am wondering how long it takes the normal bone growth/renewal process to return to normal after stopping AA. Will it affect the healing process as perhaps more brittle bones might not be a good thing here.

Have been ok on AA apart from hair loss which is now concerning me so hoping would get a full head of hair back eventually !

All in all a crumbly spine would be a worse option so would apreciate hearing from anyone with orthopaedic knowledge/experience out there

thanks

• Posted

Hi Ann, it is a difficult decision. I don't know off the top of my head what t score was but I won't be scanned again for two yrs. all I know is it was diagnosis osteoporosis and at the time it was thought I was 'low risk'. Consultant who treated my fracture said my bone condition was 'poor'.

Meanwhile Steve, I read that AA is only effective while being taken, so not sure about the 'staying in body for yrs after etc.' there is no protection without it as far I am aware. My fracture nurse was concerned about my situation as no one is meant to be on and off AA for what might be forty yrs. and yet that is presently my prognosis though my GP has no intention of giving me the five yr gap. That is only a guideline and not a ruling.

• Posted

Oh yes Ann, I am on calcium and vit d supplements as prescribed and I take an extra vit d supplement of my own choosing. I have had four blood tests re vit d but the hospital refuses to do the test. Their attitude is simply I need vit D, I am getting vit D, no need to do expensive test. I believe I had osteomalacia which led to osteoporosis but no way of knowing this for sure. When I see fracture consultant next week for my six week check he might refer me back to osteo clinic. GP doesn't see the point! It is a battle with gps that's for sure!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.