Worries about alendronic acid

Posted , 39 users are following.

Hi everyone.I am new to this forum.I started taking Alendronic acid for the first time yesterday.I have had a bone density scan which shows i have oesteoporosis.I am 59 years old,considered myself quite fit until last June,I have read the side effects of these tablets and what other people have put about them.I am quite scared about taking anymore.I felt fine yesterday after taking mu first tablet,but today I feel lousy.Everywhere aches,just dont feel right.Has anyone else experienced side effects after just one tablet.look forward to anyones comments.

8 likes, 75 replies

75 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Toon. I don't necessarily believe that the same level of protection is in place during the period that it remains in your body, simply, that it does remain in the system for some considerable period. With regards to the five year gap, I have not heard of that, just that a five year period of use is now being spoken of with regard to maximum benefit. I will give it just a one year gap before being tested again.
  • Posted

Re exercise, I walk the dog, have a mini trampoline in lounge and am mum of two young uns, so I do my fair share of running about. I also eat well. Until my fracture I had hoped diet and exercise was all I'd need. I now have hip guard pants, wrist shields and ankle protection. I don't wear it routinely, but will do when walking on ice for example. Bad weather clothing. I am accident prone. After my fracture I fell on stairs landing on broken wrist and shortly after that burned it. I fell out of bed yesterday and today tripped over a stuffed snake on floor. I need body armour! Lol
  • Posted

Hi Steve, yeh I worded it wrong, I meant the five yr period of taking it before the gap. I'm not sure what the gap is about ... I'm very skeptical as I know cost is a driving factor.
  • Posted

Just looked at scan result, t scores -2.5 lumbar, -2.4 hip. Whatever that means!
  • Posted

Hi Toon. Yes, cost usually is a factor with regard to the NHS, although Alendronic acid is quite cheap and, arguably cost-effective. There is a useful pamphlet here:

http://www.nos.org.uk/~/document.doc?id=385

• Posted

AND I just noticed, they predicted risk of major fracture as 5.8% in next ten yrs. In reality, i had major fracture in under ONE year.
  • Posted

Toon, -2.5 is just in the osteoporotic range. -2.4 is osteopenic (but only just)
  • Posted

Toon, sorry a correction. I believe -2.5 is also just osteopenic. The range is above 1.5 =normal; 1.5 - 2.5 =osteopenic; greater than -2.5 = osteoporotic.
  • Posted

Steve, the diagnosis on scan report is osteoporosis.

Meanwhile t scan obviously irrelevant given my fracture type. Consultant said I am very high risk osteoporosis and bone condition poor. Tis is why giving t scan results on forums like this isn't helpful. Jo public can't access someone's risk.

• Posted

Neither can the diagnosing clinicians it appears. Like I said, since having broken my wrist, having surgery, plate fitted and eight screws, I have been told by three health pros damage wouldn't be so bad had I been taking my AA. If damaged at all even. So be wary of not taking prescribed meds. Osteoporosis is one of those things that isn't a problem until you break somat, then it becomes a big problem. I now feel 'fragile' because I know I can break easily if I fall. It's not a comforting feeling. People should start looking after their bones early. Vit D , calcium, weight bearing exercise.
  • Posted

Have you been offered any other medication to Alendronic Acid? You can have Denasumab (Prolia) subcutaneous injections. My consultant said there is a hormone replacement which does not have the side effects of the earlier hormone replacement. I am not convinced AA is as effective as GP's say, there is so much conflicting evidence. Just AA is the cheapest. Also, excess calcium can cause problems, I had to pressure my GP for a test for calcium and vitamin D. It is routinely recommended for anyone with OP, however my vitamin D and calcium were levels were good, so why take a supplement?

Did you have a bad fall, or did you break your wrist from a minor fall?

Hope it heals well. Just arm yourself with all the information you can, as thinking on drugs is changing all the time, such as Strontium Ralenate. I was prescribed this, but by the time I got my appointment with a rheumatologist, it had been withdrawn!!

Not taking anything for now, but worried about breaking something at some point.

Sue

• Posted

Hi sue I don't know how you define a minor fall from a bad fall, surely that's defined by the injury? I toppled over into a sort of seated heap if that helps? I nearly passed out with the pain and went into shock. I had three days in hospital which came as big shock! Re hormone injections, I'd never have them as they can't be taken out once in and I have reactions to various things so nothing that can't be stopped, removed is an option. I am content with AA for now. People always post publically if there is a problem with something they rarely look somat up if it's working for them. So these threads are very biased and hence can be misleading and the reason why I posted to reflect another view.
  • Posted

Ps. Re pain and shock mentioned above, all that was a result of wrist injury not another aspect of the fall. I never banged my head or anything. I just landed awkwardly with my wrist. The consultant confirmed the injury was unusually bad due to the osteoporosis. There is no question I have it. The issue is, what people do about it when they know they have it. I did nothing other than lifestyle change ... That was a mistake, for me at least.
  • Posted

One of the bones was shattered on the end. That I believe is fairly uncommon. I am lucky I got one of the best fracture surgeons in the area, and am receiving the unusual treatment of NO plaster. I had my operation re plate and screws and a custom made splint, removable made a week later. I thus have been able to do hand exercises since week one. I go to hand clinic weekly also. It's a great service!
  • Posted

That does sound really bad. Poor you. Yes I agree 100% about not being able to remove the drug if you have an injection. If you tolerate AA well ( and many many people do) then in your position I would do the same. It's the least worst option. I was diagnosed 10 years ago with osteopenia in my hip, and osteoporosis in my spine. Like you, I read with horror the side effects of AA so concentrated on healthy high calcium diet and exercise. AA was all my GP was prepared to offer. Then I broke my wrist (only a simple fracture which healed well) and a DEXA scan showed osteoporosis in hip and spine, so it had worstened, though not by much.

I was afraid of breaking something else, so started taking AA. I had really bad side effects from the first tablet. Crippling pain in my hands, trigger thumbs and feeling pain in all my bones, like when you have flu. Plus problems swallowing, even though I took AA exactly as prescribed

It took 18 months to recover. This drug can set off inflammation which doesn't just go when you stop taking the drug, but not everyone is affected.

Also, my dentist said dentists hate this drug as it can cause problems if you ever need invasive dental work, such as a tooth out. He told me the drug stays in the body for 5 to 10 years! Even if you have only taken it for a short time. My GP wouldn't commit to saying how long it stays in the body, and I've not been able to find out.

As I said, I am back to doing nothing drug wise, but not sure that is a wise choice.

Problems problems!!! Just be careful not to fall again !!

Sue

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.