Worries about taking Citalopram

Posted , 9 users are following.

I've just hit menopause big time and have been terrible hot flushes, lacking in sleep and crying all the time.  I went to see my doctor yesterday to get my bloodtest results and I told him that I was feeling awful, lacking in confidence, hot and cold and all the other symptons that I'm sure everyone else is suffering too.

I told him I was taking lots of herbal medication from A.Vogel and it was early days but I was just feeling so low.  He suggested 10mg of Citalopram for about three months but he wants to see me again in three weeks.  I was worried about being hooked on them and having problems coming off them but he assured me for such a short period of time it wouldn't be a problem.  He gave me this patient forum to look at and I've come across everyones comments on Cit and none of them seem positive and its worrying me.. Has no one had a good result from them - all I can see if headaches, sleeplessness, nausea, dirarreah, sweaty palms, dizziness - this is really worrying me now.  I spoke with the pharmacist when I picked up my prescription and he said that I could get a bad reaction possibly in the first two weeks but after that it would be fine.

Interested to hear what anyone else thinks about this?

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Alex,

Yes there is side effects for alot of people.(myself included) However for me, I can say that Citalopram is helping me find me again. I have been on it for about 5 weeks and after a few rough weeks I started to see the better days. Yes I still have bad days or glitches as I like to think of them but they are getting better day by day. I am told it is normal to go through these bursts of bad on occasion.  I am still finding my way around with this as well but I do have hope that I will get over this hump. I started on 10 mg then after a week went to 20 mg.  My gyno is testing me for Perimenopause as I beleive it is part of what is happning with me as well.  Good luck!  XX 

• Posted

Well all I can say Robin is prepare yourself in advance.  I was taking Wellwoman 50+ and Primrose Oil and thought that would do it but I was totally blown away with hot flushes on the bank holiday weekend just gone.  I researched A.Vogel and rushed off to buy various bits from my local health shop - try reading about Menosan and Menoforce.  Also look on their websit because it's really helpful too.  Okay I'm going to keep going with the Cit but I'll still have a chat with my doctor tomorrow.

Good luck and thanks x

• Posted

Hi Alex

It can be a bit rough in the first couple of weeks but it does pass. You may be lucky and get no side effects at all. I started on 10mg and did get better but meds did not hit the mark for my depression as the dose was too low for my situation. I'm still trying to find the right dosage. You will find positive replies here and I hope you hear from someone shortly.

Wishing you well I can recall your symptoms well even though it was ten years ago... but know menopause can be very distressing. Did your gp not offer any other options for you other than antidepressants? Maybe see if your gp will agree you starting on 5mg and working up to 10mg to minimise possible side effects.

Take care

Lorraine x

• Posted

Hi Lorraine, thanks for replying.  I told my doctors I was going down the herbal route and produced a bag load of stuff.  He did suggest HRT but I said I didn't really want to go down that route and that's why he told me about this blog but as I said I've only read bad reports about the anti-depressant.  I have researched HRT and there seem to be good points and bad.  Mention of a greater chance of breast cancer and cervical cancer but then it can help with osteoporosis.  My friend has just come off it after ten years but then she was in her 40's so I need to speak with her when shes back from holiday.

I've been hit badly by menopause and its totally debilitating and I'm trying to be positive but some days it just doesn't work.

I'm calling my doctor tomorrow for a chat and I'll see what he says. Today was day two and I had a terrible panic attack whilst driving so I had to stop and then when crossing the road a man got too close behind me and I was convinced he was going to take my handbag but he was just an innocent pedestrian!   I felt much safer when I got home sad

Thanks for your advice x

• Posted

Hi Alex

It does sound like the citalopram would help you. If you get any side effects feel free to post me and I will try and alleviate any concerns you have. Please stay in touch and wishing you zero side effects when you start the meds xx

Warmest wishes and better tomorrow's xx

• Posted

Yes i' ve had a good experience with Celexa or Citalopram. I've been on antidepressants for 15 years celexa was over half I I did have some side effects in the beginning but it wasn't too bad what I remember but my antidepressant did work for a long time now coming off of it is really hard especially For itwas up to 40 milligrams my suggestion for you is to try to do the bare minimum and give it four to six weeks if you can handle the side effects because I've tried effexor wellbutrin and a few others can celexa has been the best.
  • Posted

Hi Alex

Wanted to reassure you that unfortunately people mostly post bad experiences on here not good ones - mostly I think once people feel better they think 'why would I need the forum'? I know that has been my situation. At the same time last year I was posting about 5 posts daily for a couple of months, and then I got better. I still get notifications of people's messages but I'm ok so I don't need to post my own.

First of all we'll clear up - citalopram is not addictive. People struggle to come off it either because they do it too quickly or because they are simply not ready. I am not sure I will ever be ready to come off then but I have made peace with that as I didn't realise how unhappy and anxious I was until actually going on them.

They do not change who you are, they SIMPLY allow more serotonin to reach the brain - most of us on here are lacking in that.

Yes we'd all like to be drug free and on herbal remedies but life just isn't that simple all the time. People who have high blood pressure have no choice but to take a tablet each day, I'm sure they would rather not but it keeps them going.

Secondly - the side effects can be pretty severe I won't lie. Some people they don't affect at all, mine were awful. Every minute felt like an hour for a good 2 weeks. I would ABSOLUTELY not change it for anything though - it has saved me and put me back on track. I am lot where I want to be.

I hope this helps in some way. There are MANY positive stories about citalopram - in fact google 'positive stories about citalopram' and I bet you'll find some great stuff!

Good luck x

• Posted

Thanks Holly, you have reassured me I will persevere and just hope my symptons aren't too awful for the next two weeks x
    • Posted

Hi

I just read this post you answered to someone and wanted to say how great it was.

I'm on day 4 of this drug and honestly feel horrendous. Every side effect you can think of ... To be fair I don't tolerate any medication well - prob linked massively to anxiety.

I was about ready to throw the towel in because part of me still feels I don't need it.

I'm not depressed - but suffer with panic attacks in certain situations.

So I avoid those situations. .. but the doctor feels that's anxiety 😕😕😕.

Anyway after reading your post I think I'll carry on for a few more days and think again cxxx

• Posted

That's amazing Claire - I really hope you do. My panic attacks were awful too and I think what got me through was knowing the citalopram would work and the alternative being coming off it and going back to panic attacks. Hang in there!!! Let me know how you get on smile

xx

• Posted

Hiya hope ur feeling better .... Alot of bad side effects ive read to about citalapram but guess wat i was on it gor 3 half years n it was so good for me ...,, basically maybe my situation was diffrent to alot of ppl on here i was in ICU for 6 weeks went in emmergency ended with septicimea and had a awful septic shock n went into a coma my family was told i cud have brain damage wen i came around i cudnt talk or move as i had whole body blood drainage n whole transfusion which lead to me becoming a lower limb amputee aswell because blood didnt get to my feet on time n thy dried out .... So wen i started talking i wasnt making sense n dr put me on citalapram thru IV which i stayed on thru rehab ect but seriosly i had no bad effect of it infact if i tried taking break from it that made me cry n upset feeling loneliness ... After 3 years i starting cutting down fron 40 mg to nothing and now im fine so like my dr said if you need a medication for an illness it goes into ur body n cures the illness if you dont really need it it could give u side effect n i truly beleave that hope u start feeling better coz every illness is awfull specailly wen its at itsworst
    • Posted

Hi Amber..how long ago did you cut down from 40 mg to nothing ..and how long did it take? How long have you been off the Meds ?.

so glad to hear your story ends happily 😀😀😀

• Posted

Gosh Amber sounds like you've been through a lot but that the Cit really helped you and you now don't take it anymore which is good. I'm still going to talk to my doctor again but thanks for sharing x
    • Posted

Hiya pat well i didi it really gradually over like 7 months i didnt just rush off them because that gave me time to see if idcope without them as im on other meds for life .... Hey its never really a happy ending as i suffer from other issuesand do have bad days but ive learned to live with my situationnmaje most of the good days. 😃😃 but thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.