Worries about taking Citalopram

Posted , 9 users are following.

I've just hit menopause big time and have been terrible hot flushes, lacking in sleep and crying all the time.  I went to see my doctor yesterday to get my bloodtest results and I told him that I was feeling awful, lacking in confidence, hot and cold and all the other symptons that I'm sure everyone else is suffering too.

I told him I was taking lots of herbal medication from A.Vogel and it was early days but I was just feeling so low.  He suggested 10mg of Citalopram for about three months but he wants to see me again in three weeks.  I was worried about being hooked on them and having problems coming off them but he assured me for such a short period of time it wouldn't be a problem.  He gave me this patient forum to look at and I've come across everyones comments on Cit and none of them seem positive and its worrying me.. Has no one had a good result from them - all I can see if headaches, sleeplessness, nausea, dirarreah, sweaty palms, dizziness - this is really worrying me now.  I spoke with the pharmacist when I picked up my prescription and he said that I could get a bad reaction possibly in the first two weeks but after that it would be fine.

Interested to hear what anyone else thinks about this?

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Just my opinion.ive been through the menopause ..a psychotropic drug like Citalopram seems ..well to be honest ..I do not have the words for it   .

these drugs are for life if you are not careful ..believe me I'm living the consequences ...the menopause is a normal part of female evolution..a lousy part ..yes ..our mothers did not lake psychotropic drugs that would affect their brains ..just something to google about 

• Posted

..about the consequences 

I have found coming off any drug very difficult ..and by that I mean impossible ..even after a few weeks .if I could go back I would put up with all the menopaupsuse symptoms 

• Posted

Hi Aled

I personally wouldn't take these for menopause.  If you have depression and anxiety, then these are for you.  This is serious medication and you can't just take them for 3 months to see how you get on.  These are not a quick overnight fix, and will probably take a good 3-4 months before you feel anything at all.  They will give you side effects for a few weeks, and when the time is right to come off them, you cannot just stop them as you'll be very ill, but instead you have to withdraw very slowly over a month or 2.  There will be some withdrawl effects too, but not if you withdraw slowly.

They are not addictive, so you cannot become dependant on them.  You can take them for life if needed (not that you do) :-)

They are excellent for depression.  If you decide to take them, there's many lovely people on this site who will give you much support.

K x

• Posted

Sorry .... Alex, not Aled - a finger slip on the iPad biggrin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.