Worry about oesophagus cancer

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all,

Like many on here I know I have health anxiety, but unfortunately that doesn't stop my anxiety when I get symptoms of things! 

My current episode started back in december with pains in my side, I went to the doctor then and they referred me for a non urgent ultrasound. In the next couple of weeks had a sore head and went back to the doctors convinced I had a brain tumour. I was wrong obviously. Then I managed to convince myself I had testicular cancer and that it was at such an advanced stage it couldn't be cured. After my ultrasound was clear the pains went away and so did thoughts of TC.

This takes me to now, my last visit to the doctors to get the ultrasound results I told them I felt like I had something stuck in my throat and was having more acid reflux than normal. She prescribed Lansoprazole and off I went. Since then I have been getting pains in my back and chest, horrible taste in my mouth and a feeling like something is stuck far down my throat. I don't have any difficulty swallowing but I feel like I will soon.

I've convinced myself it's oesophagus cancer. I'm 32 and don't smoke and only drink now and then. My doctor says this is highly unlikely in someone my age and not to worry- but obviously I do. They have referred me for treatment for my HA too which is good and should help with some of these things, but I can't get cancer out of my head. 

It's ruining my life at the moment I can't think of anything else! Should I go back to the doctors and demand an endoscopy? The doctor didn't seem to think I warranted it. It might be all that I need to stop the anxiety, but tests make the anxiety worse in the build up!

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I booked private and have my endoscopy Wednesday, I’m struggling with constant indigestion and a feeling of food going down slow past my Adam’s apple 
    • Posted

No, rang Nuffield health, made the appointment saw the Gastro on Wednesday and having the endoscopy this Wednesday coming. 120 pound for consultantation 
    • Posted

120 pound for the endoscopy too? I might do the same as my GP has dismissed my fears
  • Posted

Just would of taken too long, put up with this for nearly a month and have had a gutsful. I just know something isn’t right so I’d rather crack on now and get whatever it is sorted 
  • Posted

It came on me on the 2 January, unable to burp an hour after eating then the heartburn that followed anything I ate, now I’m left with a constant sore throat and I may be concentrating on swallowing it’s in my mind but it’s def going down slower from my Adam’s apple. Also loads of phlegm in the morning and constantly swallowing mucus 
    • Posted

What are you worried it is? The same as me? Your symptoms don't sound much like it. Much less than mine anyway!

• Posted

Not sure what it is, been the most uncomfortable 3 weeks I’ve ever had, no relief from Lansoprazole 
    • Posted

Anxiety is the most cruel thing, I had my endoscopy and it was all clear. I could feel the lump in my throat and tightness around my neck all day. I have a little bile backing into stomach and acid reflux other than that everything is healthy. The mind plays tricks especially with me as I have never suffered with health anxiety. I lost my father and grandmother to Oesophagal cancer. Hope this reassures you that Globus is 100% real I have endured a month of it. 
    • Posted

Hi Matthew thanks for coming back on with your results so many people don't! That's great news you must be feeling so releaved!

I'm sorry to hear of your loss, I imagine thst hasn't helped the anxiety side of things.

If that was my only symptom I wouldn't be as anxious, but unfortunately I have quite a few more and quite worried. I'm currently in my GP's waiting room and going to ask him to refer me for an endoscopy or I'll have to go private. Fingers crossed. I'll also come back on here to update on my situation

• Posted

Hi Matthew,

I've been back to my GP twice asking for an endoscope but he doesn't think I warrant one yet - even though I've developed some problems swallowing. He made me a deal to finish the course of medication and if there is no change he will refer me for an urgent endoscope (he says for my own piece if mind than anything else) so my appointment with him is a week tomorrow. I'll just have to wait for that and see, I checked my local private clinic and it was too expensive to go private, plus the two week wait on the urgent NHS pathway wont be much different.

So I'm still worrying about this daily but I have an end in sight - even if it's not as close as I would like!

• Posted

I've got the endoscopy within a couple of weeks now, so I'll return and let you know how I got on. This has been a horrible few weeks waiting and wondering. Thinking the worst

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.