Worry about oesophagus cancer

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all,

Like many on here I know I have health anxiety, but unfortunately that doesn't stop my anxiety when I get symptoms of things! 

My current episode started back in december with pains in my side, I went to the doctor then and they referred me for a non urgent ultrasound. In the next couple of weeks had a sore head and went back to the doctors convinced I had a brain tumour. I was wrong obviously. Then I managed to convince myself I had testicular cancer and that it was at such an advanced stage it couldn't be cured. After my ultrasound was clear the pains went away and so did thoughts of TC.

This takes me to now, my last visit to the doctors to get the ultrasound results I told them I felt like I had something stuck in my throat and was having more acid reflux than normal. She prescribed Lansoprazole and off I went. Since then I have been getting pains in my back and chest, horrible taste in my mouth and a feeling like something is stuck far down my throat. I don't have any difficulty swallowing but I feel like I will soon.

I've convinced myself it's oesophagus cancer. I'm 32 and don't smoke and only drink now and then. My doctor says this is highly unlikely in someone my age and not to worry- but obviously I do. They have referred me for treatment for my HA too which is good and should help with some of these things, but I can't get cancer out of my head. 

It's ruining my life at the moment I can't think of anything else! Should I go back to the doctors and demand an endoscopy? The doctor didn't seem to think I warranted it. It might be all that I need to stop the anxiety, but tests make the anxiety worse in the build up!

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I was like that and my doctor asked what colour his office door was. I told him green and he said don't let anyone including the internet or your anxiety tell you anything different. He said the colour of the door will not change and if it does one day then you will see it.

Even then the door will be repainted.

So basically I look at the colour if his door every time I go there and its still green.

You are more likely to see the colour of the door change than you are seeing cancer in your body. And even if you one day do get it, it can be dealt with then just like the door being repainted. This analogy has worked for me having been just like you in the past.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.