Worry worry worry

Posted , 13 users are following.

So, I have my date! June! Excited and nervous all at the same time, I'm reading lots lately about swelling, pain and being off your feet longer than you thought. This IS a difficult surgery, and I know it's not going to be easy. Trying to put some positive vibes out, and remembering why you did this, is anyone brave enough to show off their tootsies? Maybe before and after? A lot to ask I know ( not even sure we can share photos?). What do you all think? Thanks  ladies x

0 likes, 53 replies

53 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi

First of all don't worry, it's not as bad as you think . I had bunion and hammer toe op on both feet 4 weeks ago. Today I had my 4 week check up and I am very happy. I am off the post op shoe and can wear ugg boots and trainers . The wound has healed and I am walking albeit gingerly but walking pain free. I have started walking barefoot as well with no pain.

The first 3 weeks was a bit hard with the pain and being immobile but then it gets better . It's worth it as the feet looks So much better without the ugly bunion . So don't worry and have it done . Good luck.

• Posted

Thank you, your doing do well, I'm glad everything has gone smoothly for you, sounds like a great recovery Star, Hope it continues for you. X
  • Posted

I would but not sure how! Mine looks loads better but now I have an odd pair and as my right gives me no pain I willl continue to be odd😜

i am an impatient patient but overall the foot looks great and all toes in a good place. I only regret the uncertainty it creates but hopefully will be in a position to reflect positively once I get more mobility and lose the recovery twinges and stiffness.

good luck!

• Posted

A lot of people who are happy with operation don't go to this site, keep it in mind. People with problems try to find help here. I was like you, make my room downstairs, arrange tons of books, PG, cleansing stuff and all kind of snacks. Prepare crutches, walker, creams, vitamins, you name it! Start walking from the first day in the shoe,  on the third week - normal shoes. Never used walker, crutches. I invest in special pillow to elevate my foot, love it! Used it all the time. Bought cold wrapes- 2 of them, no problems and very comfortable to use!

Do your part, Rae, and keep positive thinking! Good luck, every case is different !

• Posted

Your right Irina! Never thought of that! Suppose once your happy you'll rarely return, only to offer advice I suppose. I love reading all the posts, really helps with my lists yo prepare. I'm taking Vit C and Zinc, not sure it will help but I'm happy to try anything. X thanks for your support x
    • Posted

Hi Irina, where did you get your special pillow?  I live in Oxford, UK and would like to find one as you said you loved it.  I'm not sure you can advertise but you could send me a private message?!  I may get my feet done next year but don't have any pain, just trouble finding shoes that fit!  I have narrow feet apart from the bunions.  I think I'd get both done at the same time as I don't think I could cope with two lots of pain and recovery!

It sounds like you're doing very well, did you have MIS?  

• Posted

Hi, Mumbles! 

You can put normal pillows, but it's not the same. I think I always can use it in the future, just to rest your legs.

i bought it on Amazon, it's called High Vision ortho bed Wedge with cover. It's like 37-40$. I put both my legs up.

my doctor was against 2 at one time, so I'll do left foot later.

Exuse me , I don't know that is MIS , explain me, please.

• Posted

Hi Irina,

thanks for the information, I'll look on line!  MIS means minimally invasive surgery, in other words key hole surgery.  It is not possible with all operations but it means a faster recovery time as less damage to feet.  I have read that bunions can come back, though that is probably down to what is worn on the feet after surgery!  

I'll see  what the surgeon says about my feet regarding my right one which isn't as bad but then how do you get shoes that fit, if only one foot is done?

all the best. smile

• Posted

Hi

i asked my consultant about the bunions coming back. He said that only 5% of the bunions come back and usually within the first 6 to 12 months of the surgery. Let's hope that none so us will be in that 5%.

i will try to post some pictures of before and after surgery . I am 4weeks post op . I had scarf surgery on both feet and hammer toe correction on both feet.

• Posted

Thanks Star, very positive reply.  Did anyone measure their feet before surgery?  Only in some photos, The bunions look as if they're still there!

i wouldn't be very happy if I'd undergone surgery and they hadn't removed the bulge but opened up my foot!  Sorry to dampen the positives! Some photos are great though....

• Posted

Hi Mumbles

after the surgery as the foot is still swollen, sometimes it looks like there is still a slight bulge. It changes from day to day as the swelling goes up and down. Ofcourse in some cases there is under correction and the bulge is left. I have my X-rays and it shows complete alignment which I am pleased about it. As long as you have an experienced surgeon you should not have that problem, so don't worry and good luck.

• Posted

Hi mumbles

see my before and after pictures. 4weeks post op. Still swollen.

• Posted

Thanks Star, I've given you a heart! 😃 it's useful to know!
    • Posted

Amazing. looking so good. Bet your pleased x Thank you for doing that for everyone. I will be posting too x

• Posted

Thanks So far very pleased. Hope it will continue to improve. X
    • Posted

I measured my foot before my surgery and although I am only half way through my recovery and still have a fair amount of swelling, my foot is at least an inch (or maybe more) smaller now than before, I can really see the difference as well

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.