Worry worry worry

Posted , 13 users are following.

So, I have my date! June! Excited and nervous all at the same time, I'm reading lots lately about swelling, pain and being off your feet longer than you thought. This IS a difficult surgery, and I know it's not going to be easy. Trying to put some positive vibes out, and remembering why you did this, is anyone brave enough to show off their tootsies? Maybe before and after? A lot to ask I know ( not even sure we can share photos?). What do you all think? Thanks  ladies x

0 likes, 53 replies

53 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi irina is right many people use the site of they advice for problems but there are many who have had bunion surgery with no problems and very good recovery and another good point be prepared at home all helps, my recovery was quicker in some ways and my main problem is im impatient smile I can wear my ugg type boots or running trainers but afterwards my foot does ache but I don't see it as a problem more about my healing process, I'm 5 weeks post op and getting about really well only the odd ache and twinge nothing I need pain relief for also remember all of our consultants give out different advice for ur post op recovery, I had no crutches no cast or boot just a post op shoe which was fine, I was told to heel walk and after week 3 walk with my full foot, felt odd but I think a lot is because ur wary of using it, also some have had slightly different surgery and some by Ortho surgeon others podiatric surgeon, I only had one foot done and it hasn't put me off having other done. I found the sat around doing very little the hardest as I love walking and going gym smile not back at work yet find out next week when I can return, good luck with ur op and you know everyone here to help smile oh and I'm pleased with how it looks too
  • Posted

Well done!  You have a date and I am gingerly, or should I say creeping softly, behind you.  Reading Irina's response to you I think put all this into context and all the other replies are so supportive.  

I read the posts here and think 'No! I will forget it.'  Then I think 'Will you regret this if I do and I am sure the answer will be 'yes'.

So I have come this far and found this brilliant site!  Loads of 'tips' and advice so what more could we ask for?   We are gathering our information and knowledge how good is that?  I was told 'fail to plan so plan to fail' and I think that is what this site gives you the tools to make the best of this we can and the rest is up to the experts. 

Thinking of you and a speedy recovery to all those post operations.

• Posted

Hi, it really depends what type of surgery you need and from there find a like minded "bunion buddy" on here.  We have all had different procedures with different recovery rates and all the replies you will get at the moment will not necessarily be the same for you.  I would say, as others have said, being prepared before hand can be half the battle!  For me both pre and post op, I have found this forum most helpful and have picked up some great tips along my journey so far and I hope in turn I am also able to offer help and advise when I feel it may benefit others.  At the moment the one thing I would say that I don't think anyone has so far mentioned is this, whatever time frame they have given you for recovery (again, it really will depend how minor or invasive your procedure will be) you will need to add extra weeks on top.  For example, in my case, my procedure was quite invasive and I was originally quoted no more than 8 weeks recovery, from the moment I opened my eyes after my surgery that had changed to 12 weeks (and potentially more!).  Why did I have it done, because without it, I would get to a stage in my life when apart from not being able to find any footwear to fit my foot I would have not been able to walk properly and would have needed a walking stick at some point in the not too distant future, so for me, it wasn't so much about how it looked but the impact it was having and would have on me for the rest of my life.  Do I wish I hadn't had it done?  Somedays I do when I get fed up of sitting and staring at the same four walls but those moments pass and yes I am glad I had it done.  I am 7 wks post op and still have quite a journey ahead of me.

Good Luck... and please make sure you share your experience with us once you've had your surgery smile

• Posted

I agree, hanging around being patient is the hardest thing. it is so frustrating that even going to the loo means getting off the sofas, moving my pillows, putting on my special shoes, getting my crutches, gingerly standing up, and then I am ready! But ... I am still without pain and as least have my laptop, box sets and books to keep me occupied! The only 'issue' I have is that I have a clicking in my foot from a tendon I think. Has anyone else had this? My Dr said this will settle down in time.
  • Posted

Oh... nearly forgot!  I have been wondering about sharing photo's on here myself as I think some before and after (and during) photos would be very interesting, I believe we can add an image if we click on the icon at the top of the discussion box on the right (a mountain and sun type image!)
  • Posted

Hi Rae

here are before and after pictures . I had scarf surgeryof bunions in both feet and hammer toe correction of second toe on both feet. Feet still swollen and the scar is still visible.  This is 4weeks post op.

• Posted

Its funny - straight feet looks weird to me. But ill have to get over it my surgery is schedule in 8 days (April 24th).

Doctor will only do one foot at a time so my right foot is first and then my left will be next year. im excited and just a little scared but i know the feeling will be worst the day before.

• Posted

Hi Rae. Before and after. Really pleased with the alignment! 😀 don't know why two are upside down. Just post op,today and before the op
    • Posted

Shiny foot is because I was in the bath so it is wet rather than operation related! 😜
    • Posted

Thanks Star & Sue, great photos and wow what a difference!

brilliant! 😊

• Posted

Again amazing Sue, you must be so pleased. Looking really good, scars not too bad are they? So pleased for you. Thanks for posting x

• Posted

Very pleased with my scar. Daily massage with bio oil once the scabs came off. The bottom part has really faded. The tiny scar under my second toe where they released tendon has given me dad more trouble! Bizarre!
  • Posted

Photos are really helpful - please post some more.  I need to see some feet worse than mine - help!! 
    • Posted

Everyone is different! My foot was giving me pain before it got to look like that so was considering procedure 5 years ago. If it hurts and causes you mobility problems then it is right for you. My right foot has bunion but no pain so staying away from further surgery if I can despite having an odd pair! 

• Posted

Both feet terrible bunions that have cause a cross over toe on one but the other has caused hammer toes and these toes cause the pain!  Although 2007 consultant wrote a letter to my GP saying that as I have chosen not to go ahead with surgery now he feels I will be returning!

I can't walk barefoot on floor I get discomfort so....... does it necessarily have to be pain on bunion itself?

• Posted

Hi Gilly

It's not necessarily pain , any discomfort caused must be a reason to have them done. I had no pain but like you could not walk barefoot anymore . My dr told me that it will just get worse if I don't do something about it. Despite the pain of the op etc. I am glad I had it done .

• Posted

No your condition may cause mobility problems throughout the truckers of the foot with knock on effect to knees hips lower back etc. your consultant should know the best procedure to rectify or ease the problems.  Lots of people on here have had different procedures for different reasons. Personally I would always advise against it for those doing it for cosmetic reasons only as it is a real upheaval.  Any pain or foit discomfort can be difficult to live with and if longer term it gets worse I think it is usually an effective procedure.

goid luck.

• Posted

Your are right, Star. Because of my bunion, I had pain on the back of the foot..It was not always, but I was afraid it will progresse.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.