Worry worry worry

Posted , 13 users are following.

So, I have my date! June! Excited and nervous all at the same time, I'm reading lots lately about swelling, pain and being off your feet longer than you thought. This IS a difficult surgery, and I know it's not going to be easy. Trying to put some positive vibes out, and remembering why you did this, is anyone brave enough to show off their tootsies? Maybe before and after? A lot to ask I know ( not even sure we can share photos?). What do you all think? Thanks  ladies x

0 likes, 53 replies

53 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I think I can remember being asked if I can balance on my toes and I couldn't.  However, I do have scoliosis of the spine and get back ache - so really I am already a candidate for a few more aches and pains.  I have also noticed just sometimes when I go to press the clutch in on my car I get cramp underneath my foot. 

Sooo looks like i have already started with symptoms and I just thought it had to be pain from the actual bunion.  Thank you all.

• Posted

Hi Rae, I had mu surgery done last Thursday and decided on both feet at the same time to get it over and done with. I can honestly say I did not feel any pain due to the ankle block they gave me, and even today, the pain is so minimal, more like pins and needles. I worried far too much beforehand, and read too many gruesome stories on the internet. You are doing the right thing, and just think how much better you will feel afterwards. The hardest bit is being patient, nothing else! Good luck!
    • Posted

Hapoy healing - my surgery is this Friday (April 24th). Im more scared about the bill then anythung

• Posted

haha, good point!I  wish you good luck for Friday and hope your op goes as smoothly as mine
    • Posted

Thank you im honestly only freaking out about the bills. its only one foot but im ready - ill be out of work for two months.
    • Posted

I am sorry you have that added pressure.  I worry about the recovery being I am 70 - BUT - the big advantage of this is no work to worry about.  So whereabouts do you live?
    • Posted

Michigan - im 29. I just gotten my procedure codes:

28298 = by phalanx osteotomy

28299 = by double osteotomy

Right foot only - im schedule for my consent tomorrow.

• Posted

So different than in England - so it seems.  I hope all goes well and I am sure you will gather a lot of useful help from this site to aid your recovery time.
    • Posted

Hi so happy for you, I just read out other thread, you mut be so pleased . I'm remaining positive and looking at all ways to aid my recovery x rest and ice seems the way forward x hoping you have a smooth few weeks x best of luck x
    • Posted

good luck to you too! I will be thinking of you on Friday x
    • Posted

Thank u - doing laundry, cooking, grocery shopping, and etc. Im in prep mode stage. Lol!
    • Posted

best thing ever: get cast protectors. Like rubber wellies, with tight rubber seal. Means you can have showers (with a shower seat) and baths (if brave enough). It was bliss to be able to have a shower and wash my hair!
    • Posted

Yes i told that as well. They also confirmed i will be in a hard cast for about two week then change into another for another 2 weeks. First time ever getting to wear a cast and ill be issued a handicap temporary sticker.
    • Posted

Both feet are in a hard casts (forefoot only) which is reassuring as toe is protected, especially from my boisterous dogs! The casts get changed for ighter ones after two week, and more xrays. I have special shoes rather than boots, and crutches, but am now able to walk without crutches after 5 days. I only take them as a safety precaution now. I also have dissolvable screws which will dissolve within a year, as the bones fuse.
    • Posted

I haven't heard about these awful both screws but that is awesome. the only thing that would be dissolvable are my stitches. you should have blogged your progress - I'm always looking for new blogs to follow on and to find happy progress on bunion surgery.
    • Posted

well, it's only the fifth day and I only discovered this forum yesterday! I have taken before pics, and have a photo of feet in casts and bandages, Hope to get more pics of feet next week when casts are changed and will post them! It is good to be able to share experiences, especially how little pain there really is, It is more about discomfort, boredom, not being able to walk much - and not being able to drive, which is a killer for me!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.