worrying myself into the ground

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi...never done anything like this before and frankly I'm very apprehensive about it incase someone says something that frightens me even more sad The dr has signed me off from work with acute anxiety because I became obsessed that my IBS was cancer. I had a full blood work up done and the only thing out of the ordinary was that I'm mildly anaemic with slightly low iron. I'm also hypothyroid which could explain it as they're still trying to get my levels right. He's started me on sertraline to try and ease my worrying but now I've managed to set myself offagn. I've n took myself to a&e d ue to the worry and they did bloods and examined me and weren't the slightest bit worried. IveI've had a lower back ache on and off for months now and dr isntisn't concerned by it at all (I am overweight). Because I'm a Google search addict at the moment I'm managing to convince myself I've got something horrific. I've even had the car 125 test which came bac fine. Every little ache and pain or every time I get a little hot or cold I'm convinced it's a sign.....all the tests say I'm fine...am I going mad? :'(

0 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

No, sarah, you're not going mad - you have severe health anxiety.

This a very draining thing to have.

advice - stop asking Dr. Google everything - as from now!

stop going to A & E because you are wasting their time when they could be looking after REALLY sick people.

don't call ambulances, if yoou're in the habit of doing so - one ambulance call-out costs the NHS £20,000

Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd   -  please get some counselling or therapy to help you to deal with this  and don't expect the sertraline to work for six weeks, and finally, PLEASE keep posting so that we can help and support you. love Tess

• Posted

I've never felt anything so overwhelming before. So so draining sad I've never called an ambulance (only for my mother). I'm on the waiting list for counseling....have been for months. These feelings only kicked in about a month,month and a half ago.....I've never had this kind of worry before. General anxiety yes....but never this. I will keep posting thank you..... it's comforting to knowim not alone

• Posted

Sarah,

What are you so afraid of? The doc says you are fine. Believe him. Obsessive thoughts usually relate to unresolved emotions. If you resolve the root emotion and grieve losses you will resolve the need to OCD. Be still and sit with your feelings so you can identify them and observe them and finally resolve them. All this other stuff is a distraction. Hugs.

Cindy

• Posted

To be honest.....I'm scared of ending u like my mother. Scared of being so far along that nothing can be done. The worst part of all of this is that I know they are right and I know I'm being irrational but these feelings are so overwhelming. I'm going to ring the counselling people on Monday and chase up how much longer I've got to wait. This really can't continue.

And thank you smile

• Posted

There is always hope Sarah. You are not your mother and can make different and better choices. Pray and ask God to help you through this. I will pray too. Focus on positive thoughts instead of your fears and challenge your fears. You will be fine. Hugs.

Cindy

• Posted

Thank you so much. Being able to express my fears to those that have felt similar fears has actually given me the first truly positive feeling I've had in a while. I really did think I was the only one to have ever felt like this and knowing that's not the case makes me feel a little more confident that one day I'll move past this.

• Posted

Honey, a man might see this as worry (like my male doctor) but we ladies think differently. This sounds to me like very possible classic anxiety disorder. In your position, and I was there, I would go to a doctor who will put you on an anti anxiety med, if only for a short time.

The right med changed my life. Within a week, I knew what my problem was, (which helped a lot,) and I found this forum where I found these terrific people who taught me how to help myself now that I was on meds that calmed my mind.

So, you see why I recommend that you check with a doctor who will prescribe an anti anxiety, Sarah.

• Posted

Thankfully my (male)dr is a kind man who's doing whatever he can to help. He's prescribed me some anti anxiety medicationand rreferred me for counseling. If I look at it rationally. I'm fortunate to have a dr so invested in getting me well again. Definitely going to chase up the counselling... talking usually helps me to cope with my anxiety and I could definitely do with the help right now.

• Posted

I'm so glad you are moving forward, and have a doctor who is helping you. Good for you, Sarah!!

• Posted

Thank you smile I hate feeling like this....so draining feeling these fears all the time. Need to do what I can to stop it before I make myself really ill.

• Posted

Darling girl, you will not make yourself sick...you are now making yourself well and again, good for you. Be sure to stay in touch, Sarah.,
    • Posted

I will thank you smile Currently experiencing insomnia which is no fun for someone who used to enjoy a good 8-10 hrs a night. Combination of the anxiety,sertraline and my annoying thyroid I think...fingers crossed this passes!

• Posted

Stay in contact with your doctor. I take a mild sleeping pill that didn't so much by itself, I was starting to wean off. When I started the anti anxiety med I was surprised how well the sleeping med worked with the anti anxiety. I am asleep in minutes. I do wake up a time or two during the night, but am able to go back to sleep. You might talk to him about this.

• Posted

I also found this sight on a goggle search and everyone is so nice. I swear I have a brain abscess even though its been weeks with this headache and eye pain and was told it was sinus. But nothing helps. Its horrible. Been in bed all weekend and work tonight. Believe me you are not alone
    • Posted

I have sinus problems on and off.... absolutely horrible! It's like half of my nose becomes pressurised and goes up to behindmy eye. That and the stupid bug I caught that started my whole thyroid madness are tthe reason I kept pestering the doc for tests....I can totally sympathise. Nothing the doc suggested worked for me either...It does get better but it takes time (something I have trouble getting to grips with) Hope you feel better soon smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.