Worse after prp.and stem cells in shoulder

Posted , 33 users are following.

Had partial left shoulder tear. It no longer hurt and I was able to do some things but not what I had been doing. Doctor suggested stem cells and prp. Had it a month ago and am I constant pain and it is worse than when I first injured shoulder. Could procedure have made it worse permanently? Very discouraged. 

2 likes, 54 replies

54 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

i just had PRP on left shoulder. it was for my back shoulder, but the doctor did so much on my rotator cuff that had NO ISSUES! now it hurts so bad, im worse.! 4 weeks has passed. he wanted to do cortisone injection, i said no way! i got prednisone instead. im so upset. wish i never did it. feel like he INJURED parts of my shoulders that I NEVER had issues with. im so upset. do things get better? the uktrasound showed post injection tons of fluid inside

• Edited

Good Afternoon,

I was hoping that someone could please help me out or any guidance. I had an injury in my shoulder and neck. I was advised to do a PRP injection after cortisone shots near my spine. I went ahead and did the PRP injections in which literately woke up from anesthesia in severe pain.

I had that injections done probably like 6-7 months ago and I am in severe pain. I am limited in activities and I can't reach for certain things or lift my arm up straight any longer. It feels as if it stiffened and I can't lift or react with my arms or I will cry.

I can't reach behind my back and I wake up in pain every morning. It looks like there was more than one injection in my shoulder. I did not know this but felt it was possible because there are two more areas in my shoulder where I feel the pain is resonating from. I had to look into the medical records to see that this was the case.

My doctor is suggesting cortisone shots in the areas where the PRP was injected. He also said if I am still not recovered or feeling better then I may have to have surgery in which they will go in and scrape the PRP areas of injection.

Could the PRP be just stagnant and sitting and hardening around my nerve? I mean if he is suggesting to have a surgeon go in and scrape the PRP out. Wouldn't that mean that the PRP did not eventually just absorb into my body? I don't know what to do..

I think I will have the cortisone injections to relief the inflammation and if that doesn't work well them I will look at surgery. Ughhhhh I just want to be able to be back to normal..

Please advise if anyone has done anything to help themselves after a PRP

Thank you

Marcella

• Edited

Hi Marcella,

I literally feel your pain. I'm having similar issues after PRP injections in my shoulder 6 1/2 months ago. The injections were very painful and the aftermath was excrutiating. I had terrible pain in my bicep starting the evening after the injections and for the next 6+ weeks I was not able to sleep without waking multiple times due to pain. These injections were to try to fix the pain I had only with two very specific arm movements. For the first several months after PRP I had very limited mobility and pain with all arm movement. I am better now but nowhere near where I want to be. At this point I would just like to be back where I was before I got the injections!

Here is what has helped me:

1. Physical therapy with a PT who does very hands-on therapy. She does deep tissue massage and assisted stretching. Painful but has helped me regain a lot of range of motion and strength.
      2. Acupuncture. I found an acupuncture who specializes in "ortho acupuncture". He has his medical degree from Korea and I guess they are taught acupuncture as part of their medical training. It's awesome. Has helped a LOT in the 4 weeks I've been going. The appointments with him are like a combination of orthopedic evaluation, physical therapy and acupuncture. He really knows his stuff and I feel lucky to have found him.

Not a day goes by when I don't regret having PRP. If I had known this was a possible outcome I wouldn't have done it. So many people seem to do well with it but not me!

Good luck. I wish the original poster would come back and tell us how she's doing.

Sarah

• Posted

Thanks to all for the thoughtful comments. They make me (and I'm sure others) feel a bit better. Three weeks ago, after a few fairly successful Cortisone injections, I had my first PRP treatment. I have a small tear in my shoulder that aches and prevents me from enjoying an active lifestyle. Well, lemme tell you all, holy sh*t, it has been a disaster. (can't turn the italics off, sorry) The pain that has spread throughout my entire arm and lats, to my wrist. It has been nothing less than excruciating. I even went to a hospital emerg to see of they could help. They couldn't. They too were flummoxed. It has been life-changing pain. Like nothing I've ever experienced before. So intense that I can only sleep in one restrictive position. The moment I alter that position, the pain begins and increases til I have no choice but to return to said position. The pain radiates all through my left side (left shoulder is the injection-site side) and way into my muscle structure. Even my left-side neck. Can't turn my head for the pain. It's unreal. I think finally after almost two weeks of living this way, it may be improving. Trying massage therapy and chiro. They may both be risky, I don't know. So right now would I recommend PRP? Hell no! Of course my hope is that in a few (several?) weeks it's miraculously healed. But right now, I may as well have had shoulder surgery.

• Posted

I succesfully had PRP on my elbow (golfers elbow) two injections a year ago. Got 80% better so went for the knee. first round I got I felt okay then had knee pain for two months went back and oartially tore my pattler tendon.

went to surgereon and he discussed the operation it is bad. Im only 28 was active now im nothing. i can not move. He suggested to try PRP again and take it slow. I got PRP/Lipogem injection to filk the tendon five days later im crying im in so much pain. it is so swollen. Being healthy, I believe they gave me to high of a concentrate of PRP. im deeply depressed now that i tore the tendon and then now it feels even worse. i had previous knee injuries (three discloations, partial menicus tear) that caused me to get PRP to begin with (had wear and tear swelling off and on for years had to quit competetive running/leg workouts last year) im at a loss. i will be going to the doctor at 8AM this morning i dont care if i wasnt scheduled im going on zero hours sleep. this is unbelievable. have MRI & followup scheduled with surgeon too but really dont want three screws in my knee. the feeling of despair cannot be typed and said enough

• Posted

Hi,

I just wanted to give an update on my condition following my wasted time, pain and suffering after PRP. I'm 57, prior to 2019-2020 was an avid runner and workout enthusiast.

I wrote about in other posts about my PRP experience. June 2, 2021 I have a total hip replacement. It was slow healing for the first 2 weeks and I wasn't sure if I had done the right thing, but now I am a lot better and resuming an active life, with still no more run though.

Anyway, I just went into my PMD to get a Cort shot in my right shoulder and he said no, I need to have both my shoulders scoped and bicep tendon repaired. So I'll probably do that next year sometime. But I'm just going to say if it looks like you need surgery but you're waiting to see if you can do other alternative medicine procedures to avoid surgery I would just go ahead and have a surgery. Not that surgery is a picnic, it's just way less emotionally and physically debilitating, then being sold a bunch of expensive BS!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.