Worse after prp.and stem cells in shoulder

Posted , 33 users are following.

Had partial left shoulder tear. It no longer hurt and I was able to do some things but not what I had been doing. Doctor suggested stem cells and prp. Had it a month ago and am I constant pain and it is worse than when I first injured shoulder. Could procedure have made it worse permanently? Very discouraged. 

2 likes, 54 replies

54 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I am on my second shot. First shot stem cells, second prp. Day 7 and lots of swelling and pain in my ankle. I cant even walk as its my subtalor joint that was treated. I have a youtube channel that I post my experience. Hopefully it helps
    • Posted

Hi livingafter40

i

sorry to hear about your pain.  I’m 3 weeks post first injection for ankle arthritis, stage 4 and am way worse.  I can’t walk without crutches and am wearing a camp boot.  Pain is intense and constant and I’m taking pain meds.  My ankle feels different but worse if that makes sense.  If I weight bear the immflatiion and swelling get worse.  Nothing seems to take the pain away except a heat pack which I’m reading should not be used.  I’m feeling despondent. Seeing the surgeon end of the month for a arthroscopy and possibly more injections but I’m not sure.  I don’t work which is just as well as I couldn’t, I’m barely functioning and getting little sleep.  What is your YouTube channel I’ll check it out.  I’ve had 2 hip replacements and a revision and this ankle is way worse pain that those surgeries.

• Posted

My you tube channel is "living after 40" I highly suggest watching my videos. Have patience! Surgury is not always the best solution. Listen to your body.

• Posted

Hi there:

I had my second set of PRP injections (both knees) yesterday.  I followed the same routine as I did after I got my first set of injections.  After I got the injections I came home and basically stayed in bed for about 4-hours (watching TV) and slept for 2.5 hours.  After that I started applying cold gel packs to both knees.  I was experiencing extreme pain BEHIND MY knee (called the popliteal fossa in medical terms).  The right knee was worse than the left one but that was likely because my right knee usually has more pain, inflammation and remains swollen regularly.  Actually even the PRP inject was EXTREMELY painful in the right knee.

I continued to stay in bed getting up to go to the bathroom or get something to eat and continually used the gel packs.  I have a few gel packs so I kept rotating them, using one set of cold gel packs and after they were not too cold I would replace them with another gel pack.  I always keep my gel packs in the freezer ever since I started problems with my knees around 15 years ago.

I stayed in bed through the second day as well, sleeping, watching TV, having meals.  I kept trying to straighten out my knees while in bed and would also flex them to the maximum I could.  This was helpful.  At times I would stand and keep my hands on the kitchen counter to take my upper body weight on my shoulders and put my knees in full hyperflexion (straightening the knees to the max).

On the third day I was able to go to work and since then I find there has been a gradual improvement of pain in my knees.  Though I do my best to minimize my walking.  Based on Google fit I walk on average around 3500 steps, on a few days I walked 5000+ steps.  The day before my injections I had actually overdone it by walking 7600 steps.  I have so far never made it to the required 10,000 steps/day.  Basically, I am being very careful about how much I walk.  I am hoping tomorrow my knees will be fine and I will go to work.

In fact I just tried out my legs by going outside and walked 545 steps.  I limped very slightly because of my right knee but overall the pain was definitely tolerable.  At times I could avoid limping totally.

My next and last set of PRP injections are 6-days from today.  I am praying my knees are in much better shape by the time of my next injections.

I am not sure how helpful this is to all of you.  My only suggestion is get plenty of rest and apply cold packs (over your jeans or other leg wear).  Do not apply the cold packs on your bare leg, that is not advisable. 

Another thing to keep in mind is don't just buy a "naked" gel pack by itself.  Instead buy gel packs which are specifically inside a sleeve with long straps with velcro.  Wear these gel packs relatively tight, not so you are blocking blood circulation.  But still reasonably tight so they stay on when you are in bed or go to the bathroom.

If you cannot get the knee gel packs with straps get the ones for the waist i.e. for lower back pain.  They also come in a sleeve with straps and velcro at the end.  In fact the waist gel packs are much larger (about 24 inches long and about 8-10 inches wide).  They are definitely better.  But overall both knee gel packs and waist gel packs work very well.

The only thing to avoid is hot gel packs they are the WORST for inflammation and pain, and do nothing to address your pain.  At least that is my experience and my opinion.

I cannot say if the above descriptions of how I am taking care of my recovery after the PRP injections will work for you but I thought I would share it in some detail so you get some idea of what has worked for me.

Please note none of what I say can replace the advice of your doctor.  I have ONLY described my own experience.

Good luck everyone, and may your pain begone  smile . 

BarryK

• Posted

I am going through that with my hips and I also had a stem cell injection along with platelets. I have been worse not better also but I took Motrin with the time frame I was supposed to only take Tylenol. I had hoped that didn't hurt me. The Tech said it wouldn't make or break it they just preferred me not to. However I have worried about it. It may be you get worse at first and then better. I know the Tech told me the stem cell develops according to your pain level whatever that means.

Marilyn

• Edited

I got PRP 4 months ago in my knees, wrists and lower back. I feel that it has ruined my life. I realized a week ago that I had no movement in my left wrist (it had been in so much pain for four months that I had been avoiding moving it and so didn't notice until recently), and the doc sent me to Physical Therapy, which the stem cell clinic didn't offer to pay for. I'll be in PT for up to 6 months, and my physical therapist doesn't think I will gain back all of my movement. I'm scheduled for an MRI in a few weeks, and there's a possibility that eventually I may need surgery. Both wrists are extremely sore still as well. Both my knees are still in extreme pain when I exercise, and my hikes are limited to about 4 miles (I didn't have a limit before).

When I came into the clinic, the doc said that this procedure was so low-risk, that there wouldn't be any harm in doing it even though my original symptoms were so minute (some stretched tendons causing a very low level of intermittent pain). Now I can't do yoga, hike, or dance - all the things I love most. I hope my pain diminishes and I'm not permanently disabled from a procedure I didn't even need.

• Posted

hi Jennie

I am in the same boat. Did it ever get any better for you?

• Edited

Hi Everyone,

I'm 4 weeks out from being destroyed by PRP. I saw my Dr last week and he told me he injected twice in each shoulder, and used the Rich PRP which is known to cause the most inflammation. He basically said that he misjudged my tolerance to the extreme pain it was going to cause me. What???? He never even told me he was doing that:( I had asked him prior if I only need to take one day off of work and he said yes. I was off work for a full week and then partially the second week, but working in excruciating pain. It is true that my job puts me in awkward positions (Brazilian waxes and facial procedures which is probably why I have a lot of my problems and pain to begin with) but I should've been warned!!!

So he ended up giving me a Cortizone shot in each shoulder which immediately got rid of my pain. I'm pretty sure I ruined and wasted the PRP if it was going to work, because I like other people here on this forum I was forced to take Advil just so I wasn't crying all the time. He seems to think that it's still going to work,??? I think doctors are educated guessers and they don't know what they're doing, they're just hoping for the best. And because the last time he gave me a shot in my shoulder a year ago and it didn't work, I think he just went for gold this time, which was an epic fail!

I see him again next week to try to decide what my next move is. My arms look like I'm 90 (no offense to 90 yrs olds) and I'm too afraid to do any weight training for fear of ruining my Cort shots, so all I can actually do is my job, which also might ruin my Cort shots.

I'll come back here and give you an update after I see him on Monday. And let you know if I'm going to have to have surgery on both my shoulders and possibly a hip replacement. My husband and I are getting a pool which he's hoping will help rehab me, and I got a Pilates reformer to also help with getting my body back to where it used to be. And I don't know about any of you here, but I find that physical therapy is the biggest waste of time! All they want to do is give me printed it out sheets of what exercises I should do at home:/ So I stopped PT in exchange for doing an hour and a half Thai Massage every week which has been amazing!!! I highly recommend, it's highly therapeutic, and then after that I get a chiropractic adjustment. Maybe it's placebo but that combination has been the best treatment I've had so far.

And just a short note on how pain turns you into a bitter cranky person. Right now I'm pain-free because of the Cortizone shots and me not being an idiot and trying to go out and run 3 miles. I really tried to pay attention to how much nicer I am when I'm not in chronic pain, I just feel less negative. And for my job I really need to not complain to my clients especially while I'm in the middle of doing it. So fingers crossed that I can find something that can at least make me not be so angry! I now understand why so many people get addicted to painkillers and then end up killing themselves they just can't take it anymore. I wish that these pain doctors would really understand how pain really destroys your brain. If you Google it you'll find that it really does change the chemistry of your brain.

https://www.neura.edu.au/news/new-discovery-how-chronic-pain-changes-your-brain-and-personality

• Posted

I feel for you. I agree with everything you have mentioned. I have had a spinal fusion which failed as the doctor pinched a nerve, so the surgery cannot be redone as they said the bones around the surgery would crumble, and I have been suffering from my SI joint pain. I had a PRP treatment in the joint a month ago. I have never been in so much pain in my life. I have stuck it out without anti-inflammatory meds for the four weeks the doctor told me not to take them, but it has been a living hell. I am just wondering if anyone has had any positive results from any PRP treatments, because I don't know whether to look forward to having recovered from not taking anti-inflammatory drugs and if it was worth the suffering. I will begin those drugs this week and hope that it makes a difference. I have had the horrible experience of not being able to sit, stand nor lie down without unbearable pain. Sleep has been like luxury to yearn for and not a part of my life. There have been so many days I have not wanted to be alive. I made it thru four weeks, so it will either continue uphill or I hope to see a difference. I hope we can hear from someone who will add a positive note to what we have endured.

• Posted

As of now, Jan. 10 2021, I've had to get cortisone shots regularly in both my shoulders and in my left hip. My left hip is so bad that after finally getting an x-ray, it shows I need a hip replacement. And I also need to have both shoulders tended to as well. But the hip is most important at this moment. I would never do PRP or Bone Marrow again. I feel like the DR sold me a bill of goods. It turns out the these treatments do work on someone without a spleen, and my DR knew this. Very frustrated. I'm sorry about the 4 weeks of pain you've had to endure. And I know the feeling of wanting to kill yourself if you can't get better. I hope it works for you! I think PRP is like throwing darts in the dark!

• Edited

I dont know how old this thread is but i'm keen to know if your shoulder improved? i had PRP in my SI joint 7 weeks ago and am in more pain now than before. I have tried returning to exercise but was in so much pain i stopped. It has eased slightly this week but wondered if you recovered?

Has anyone else experienced a long term negative result

There is nothing i can find to suggest that it does but my experience seems far from the ordinary

• Posted

i am having this same thing happen to me. i have a 6mm tear in my rotator cuff that was causing regular pain, but i was able to workout fairly hard and go about my life and shoot my bow. doc said 80% this will fix it. i would be uncomfortable for a few days, but would be able to go about my life as normal within 2 weeks

i had the PRP injection 3/02 and was in excruciating pain. i didnt sleep for almost 3 days, the 12 vicodin 5mg they gave me were gone in 1.5 days. i have iced, only take aspirin, and haven't taken any of my prescription antinflammatorys.

going on 2 weeks in, and i can barely lift my arm, cant pick up my daughter, and cant shoot my bow. i am miserable and there isnt alot of info out there. i wake up 2-3 times a night and am in constant pain.

how is it going? i hope some other commenters can follow up if they ever had relief

• Posted

has the pain gotten better? I am scheduled for prp in and around si joint on 4/28 but am sooo nervous. I have been in terrible pain before and not looking to go backwards!!!!!

• Posted

hi Rebekah did it ever get any better for you? I had Prolo and PRP to the SI ligaments and it has made thnigs so much worse - i have a new pain that won't go away after 3 months

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.