Worse after prp.and stem cells in shoulder

Posted , 33 users are following.

Had partial left shoulder tear. It no longer hurt and I was able to do some things but not what I had been doing. Doctor suggested stem cells and prp. Had it a month ago and am I constant pain and it is worse than when I first injured shoulder. Could procedure have made it worse permanently? Very discouraged. 

2 likes, 54 replies

54 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Anne 

I just read your post. Has your pain subsided?  I had PRP in my elbow 2 weeks ago and my arm hurts far worse than before the injection. It is a different pain than what drove me to get the PRP in the first place (partially torn tendon).  I have Swelling,constant pain  and very limited mobility.   Thanks

JC 

• Posted

John, 

I had PRP in the knee on December 14, so 2 weeks ago and the pain in so intense. I wondering how your are doing now a couple weeks past your last post?

Let me know. I want to know if there is relief that might be coming.

Thanks,

Kitty

• Posted

I had PRP 8 weeks ago in both elbows. I was at level 2-3 pain at the time. But got the PRP because everyone I started working out again the pain came back in full force. I was PRP was a like a miracle procedure, and would be able to work out in 4 weeks.

Ever since PRP I have been in constant pain. The pain is far worse than I ever had in my elbows. I'm miserable. Going in for MRI next week.

Having pain for this long made me think something went wrong with the procedure, or the plasma got contaminated prior to injection. I can't find any information online as to why I would have so much pain for so long after the procedure. I'm frustrated and don't know what to do.

If anyone has any relief from PRP after experiencing pain from the procedure, I'd love to hear about it.

• Posted

I had PRP 8 weeks ago in both elbows. I was at level 2-3 pain at the time. But got the PRP because every time I started working out again the pain came back in full force. I was told PRP was a miracle procedure, and would be able to work out in 4 weeks.

Ever since PRP I have been in constant pain. The pain is far worse than I ever had in my elbows. I'm miserable. Going in for MRI next week.

Having pain for this long made me think something went wrong with the procedure, or the plasma got contaminated prior to injection. I can't find any information online as to why I would have so much pain for so long after the procedure. I'm frustrated and don't know what to do.

If anyone has any relief from PRP after experiencing pain from the procedure, I'd love to hear about it.

• Posted

I feel the same way, although I am only at 2 weeks. I did a little too much and now it feels “aggravated” and the pain is so intense. I have been just laying around for 3-4 days but no improvement but a lot of pain (PRP in the knee). Did you find any answers?

Thanks,

Kitty 

• Posted

I had PRP done 6 weeks ago on one elbow and I'm in CONSTANT pain. The pain is slightly different. I have limited mobility, can't straighten arm without feeling pain, can't lift anything, I can't do simple day to day tasks without pain. I have more pain now than i did before PRP. 9 months prior I got a cortisone shot and I felt like I had a brand new elbow, it was awesome but when the cortisone wore off my doctor suggested I get PRP. Now, I regret that decision because I live with pain every day and it's not getting better. Made an appt to see the doctor, may need to get an MRI too. I thought this was a cure and not just treating the injury!  I would like to avoid surgery but if the pain continues, I may have no other choice. Ugghhhhh

• Posted

Your pain and symptoms sounds exactly like mine. I think I am on week 12 post operation. My right elbow is still in considerable pain, my left seems to be better, but still painful. I can't straighten either arm without pain.

One thing I found out after MRI is that I have a slight tear in my right arm tendon. Im slotted for an operation consultation later this month.

I'd still like to know why PRP caused so much pain in elbow, and if procedure was detrimental to my elbows. I haven't found one person to tell me it was a success.

I feel like I got scammed.

• Posted

I had the shot in my knee, but when trying to find out about other's PRP experience, I found this guy's blog. http://gumption.typepad.com/blog/platelet-rich-plasma-prp/

He had a terrible case of tendonitis in his elbow. It took a long time, but it finally healed. I am a PE teacher, so over winter break, I really tried to rest my knee a lot, but it has the reverse effect.  I lost muscle tone and my knee lost mobility. The first day back after winter break, I was all over the school getting ready for students to come back and I noticed a pain reduction.  Although, there also seems to be a really fine line in not doing enough and doing too much. I need to move around to feel better, but a day of teaching PE and coming home to my young kids is too much.  Hopefully, more folks will post on their experience soon.

Good luck.

• Posted

I think it would be helpful to have updates from all those who posted about intense pain after PRP. I am intense pain 2 weeks out from injection. Also, I am on winter break but I am an elementary PE teacher who is typically on her feet all day and nervous about my pain levels going back.  Did the pain eventually go away?

Thanks,

Kitty

• Edited

Hello All,

Was wondering how everyone is doing now? I'm hanging by a thread in excruciating pain and would love some encouraging news...hope that is what we all have in the end.

• Posted

I never got better. I tried another treatment, an hyuralonic acid shot and it still did not work. Orthopedics said they do not have anything for me and now they think it is related to an autoimmune disease. So thousands of dollars later and zero relief, I have to go to another department Rhuematology. 

Good luck and I hope you have better luck. 

Kitty

• Edited

Well, that is certainly not encouraging and I am terribly sorry to hear you are still dealing with it. The weird thing is that I tore my muscle and ligament at s2 and was bedridden, wheelchair ridden, and could barely walk without excruciating pain for over 5 years while I searched for a correct diagnosis and cure. The cure that got me up and back to life (I even carried a baby without pain) was PRP. I have been fine for 5 years and I had a flare up from tiling and decided to go get another preventative treatment... this time is not going anything like my previous treatments. I am bedridden with worse pain then ever before. I would give anything to go back in time, but I can't. The only difference in treatments was that this time he made the PRP leukocyte rich, which is known to cause more inflammation. My doctor still thinks it is going to work, but I am more then doubtful and less then hopeful! Does your PRP pain seem to stem from nerve damage or chronic inflammation? I had my hip done 7 weeks ago and the s2 done almost 4 weeks ago. Thanks for replying. I am sending healing vibes your way, friend.

• Edited

Hi All ,

This is the only website I could find where people are sharing their bad experiences with PRP. I am now part of the club. A year ago I had PRP in my neck and my right shoulder which was uneventful except that I could not work the next day due to soreness in my arm, and I'm an Aesthetician and need my arms to work. Over the next year, contemplated on what course of action to take because both my shoulders have recommended tears and other bicep tendon issues. My neck is chronically in pain on the right side, and I have torn cartilage in my left hip, snapping hip and almost bone on bone. I'm an extremely active 55 year old runner and cross trainer until all these injuries started yelling at me at once. I also had back surgery in 2011 for a herniated disk that was pressing on a nerve.

My Dr really recommended PRP again for the shoulders and neck, and Bone Marrow injections into my hip. I agreed, and to the $4700 out pocket expense too. I was going to do my hip and my neck at the same time and then a few days later do both my shoulders. The hip was not very painful but this time when he did my neck with the PRP it was very painful and I felt like he was rushing and putting it in too fast. I had to ask him to stop. Then I was not sent home with any home care instructions at all, but a prescription for Percocet, but only five. He told me just to ice my neck. Once I got the painkillers they did help so I was really relieved but I felt like I had been in so much pain I didn't want to do my shoulders on that following Monday. They told me that I couldn't take any anti-inflammatories or get a Cortisone shot for my shoulders because it would ruin the shot in my hip so I agreed to go through with the procedure. So when he was doing the PRP I wasn't in any pain and it wasn't until I went home and the pain/numbing stuff they gave me wore off and then I was in the worst pain ever. I called his office several times and they were very unsympathetic and didn't offer me anything. Finally after three days of excruciating pain especially in my left arm, (I could not use it or lift it or even get dressed), they told me to take Advil and ice. Everything I've read on the Internet says not to do that but what was I to do, the pain was too much. I have three small dogs that I need to pick up and having no use of my left arm and severe pain in my right arm was making my life pretty miserable. I had to cancel a whole week of work, obviously because I couldn't use my arms and I just couldn't believe what it happened. Every time I called his office they were very blasé about it and my doctor never called me. So over the course of the next three weeks I went back-and-forth with Tylenol and Advil and slowly I began to be able to use my left arm but not without so much pain it would make me cry. I lost all the muscle and I used to have a very muscular attractive arms and now they just look like I'm 90. So finally when I saw him this last Monday which was my three week follow up, he was very apologetic and didn't really know why I had such a bad reaction. Then he went on to tell me that he put two PRP shots in each shoulder using the rich PRP not the poor PRP which I never knew the difference until reading on the Internet and that makes sense why I was in so much pain. The inflammation was like nothing I've ever experienced before and I've had several surgeries over the course of my life. So this is my horrible experience, he had to give me a Cortisone shot in each shoulder just so I can function and do my job without being in excruciating pain. I wish there were more websites that discusses the PRP disasters so people have more opportunity to see the good the bad and the ugly. We so easily just trust these doctors and now I am in a position of not knowing what to do moving forward. I know this is such an old thread but I hope somebody responds to this. I'm very interested to know how things have turned out for all of you.

• Edited

Dearest Margaret,

I am so sorry to hear of your situation, as I know all too well the fear that comes along with increased pain and disability after receiving a treatment. I also received rich PRP (I have had poor and rich; I do better with poor). I hope it makes you feel better to know that I did in fact get better. What might have happened is a nerve got hit or damaged from the inflammation in some way. The good news is that nerves heal. The bad news is that they take forever. I did end up having surgery in my particular situation (I had a 3" cyst in my sacrum cavity that was compressing all the nerves in the lower half of my body). I believe the injection enlarged the cyst and triggered the dysfunction. However, the pain from the injection did eventually dissipate. Perhaps you have dysfunction that is irritated by the PRP that cannot be healed because something is out of place. At any rate, I did get better with time. I would be leery to get another injection though. If you want to talk, vent or need a pep talk please email me any time. I believe with all my heart that you will get better. The body is a miracle.

Moderator comment: I have removed the email address as we do not publish these in the forums. If users wish to exchange contact details please use the Private Message service.

• Edited

Sheryl,

Thank you so much for reaching out to me. When I found this site I was so grateful that people shared. It's really frustrating when those around you don't understand what you're going though. I meant that I had Labrum tears, but auto- correct changed it, lol. I had labrum surgery before(right shoulder, trim only) but didn't help, that's why I was trying the PRP. I'm glad you got better, and hope the same will help for me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.