Worth a thought...

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi to all Forum Friends 🙋🏼 hope you're all well. Have you sometimes wondered why you might feel 'odd' or just not well when you go out to shops/malls? thinking it's a menopause thing that might spark anxiety etc YES, is very possible but wondered if there might be something else? MI have discovered there's another reason....Flourescent lighting! there's been times when I've gone out & I've probably mentioned it here in my posts that I feel odd thinking it all a menopause thing but after much thought & process of elimination( I started to feel better when I went back outside away from the shops) I thought of the fluro lighting that is in nearly every shop, so I googled the effects of this type of lighting....very interesting!, fluorescent lighting can cause panic attacks, anxiety, headaches even fits/seizures, this is because there's a level of pulsing in the light which isn't seen but effects the brain AND some shops/malls are worse than others depending on the amount of lighting used. Many times in the past I wondered why I would feel agitated when I'd been out shopping, quite possibly the lighting. Talking of anxiety etc, Vitamin B's...may have been mentioned here before but they too can cause anxiety in some people, I no longer take them...but talk to your Dr before stopping or starting any supplement. For B vitamins I now have a good dollop of malt extract mixed into my porridge every morning, nice n natural.

Do hope this has helped, is worth a thought...

Keep Well, hugs n 💐  to you all

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I totally agree with you! It was my husband who broughgcthiscyo my attention a few years ago..... BUT!.... Why would it have an affect only now or for me it's 4 years now and still have to leave Tesco half way through my shopping but once I get outside I start to feel so much better. I never go shopping on my own simply for that reason . I actually feel the lighting when I walk into the shop but don't understand WHY after all the years I enjoyed shopping. 😕😔
    • Posted

Hi, very good question, why feel it more now than before? the only possible reason I came up with is that with all the hormone changes that are going on, could it be possible it causes our brains to react differently to things that didn't cause effects in the past...considering all other body changes that we may have now that we didn't have in the past.

BUT I'll always love 'retail therapy!' 👛 LoL  I'm just more aware now when in shops & leave if I have to. Take Care

• Posted

Absolutely: they "flicker" and creat mental instability. I've gor a friend that's epileptic and she sometimes feel really ill in malls because of the light. 
  • Posted

I have often wondered why supermarkets and the like always choose what I deemed 'harsh' lighting. I always wanted a supermarket with restful music, softer lights and fountains! Maybe that will be a thing for the future? 

Imagine a whole scenic meditative scene whilst shopping. I bet not only us meno sufferers but all anxiety sufferers would be pleased? 

Once my Psychiatrist phoned me in a Mall, and I said I was not feeling too well to which she replied 'Yes, Malls are very good at that'. Definitily more to it than we think.  

• Posted

Hi how are you? malls/supermarkets of the future OMG! my imagination is running wild lol...yes, soft lighting, soothing music, complimentary foot massages & chocolates, shopping buddies to push trollies & carry our bags, the list could be endless, imagine.....sigh! 😌

If there is something psychological about how the 'powers of be' want us to shop & spend money then yes why aren't malls n shops more conducive to a better shopping experience? 

• Posted

Hi Ladies,can I come to your supermarket please?? I can't go in them at the momment, I ve given up doing battle round Tesco and get delivered instead.Its been a nightmare for a few years,I ve always blamed the trouble I have with my ears( it gives me vertigo and anxiety) but now I m wondering.We have a big television and I ve noticed on a night watching it can make me feel a bit dizzy and I start to feel anxious.

can I ask how everyone is sleeping,I m waking up every 4 hours and I m wide awake by 4 of five in the morning,I wake up anxious every morning,my arms and legs don't feel like they belong to me for an hour or so.

i love this site all you ladies are keeping me sane,I thought I was just going crazy 😊xxx

• Posted

Fudgeybear, I always have trouble sleeping, well I suffer from depression and that's the definition! But I've been really keeping my iron nice and high (not too high) and it's really helping me. I never realized before that iron deficit (anemia) makes people depressed, but it does. So if your periods are heavy, check your levels.

Of course I am on anti-depressants, but I didn't increase them during menopause. Perimenopause I mean (I wish  it were over!).

PS I would like to LIVE at your mall.

• Posted

Thanks Jennifer,I ll look into my iron levels thanks,I to have a bit of problem with computor screens shaznay,but I d rather do that than have to come out of tesco a jibbeing wreck,maybe I should do my on line shopping with my sunglasses on,there's got to be a win win situation to this nightmare,thanks ladies you ve all just cheered me up 😊xx
    • Posted

Hi Fudgey:

I never thought about the big t.v.s  I do not have one yet.  The fake lighting does get to me, I feel so weak and tired after going to the market even.  The entire place is lit up.  I am hearing impaired and the virtigo along with loss of balance a bit scares me.  I am so careful not to take a fall.  Also with the depression for years, I cannot get to sleep but sleep o.k. when I do.  Me legs and hips do not follow me out of bed, I am sure this body belongs to someone else all together.

kathy

• Posted

Hi Kathy,it all gets kind of confusing dosn t it? I just feel like my symptoms from my ears and peri have formed into one big mess.the signals between my brain and my ears are all mixed up but my eyes do get very tired and when I'm tired I feel dreadful.i hope everyone is having a good day x.
  • Posted

I know what you mean about flourescent lights, they have bothered me for years! But it is not just that sort of lighting, some of the older 'low energy' ones are as bad. There was one in a local Tea Rooms, a table lamp. If you looked at it - nothing. But you (well I ) could see the damn thing flickering out of the corner of my eye. It made me feel so queasy we stopped having our Saturday morning coffee there. Few others could see it. Makes you wonder just what IS going on around us in this modern world.rolleyes
  • Posted

Hi Bobbins I am totally with you on this. I find some shops are worse than others and I'm sure it's the lighting. Tesco is a nightmare and I feel bad in there, but Sainsburys is better. I think the lighting is different. Another shop that is really bad is Sports direct. I am certain that you have hit the nail on the head. When I was at work I always felt worse inside the building and much better working outside, the building has fluorescent lights! Xx
  • Posted

Not found these lights a prob - that I'm aware of, of course! Not a great fan of but if I've been around them (workplace etc), they've had defusers on them.

My 'thing' is electrical buzzes. I get really bugged by tho GS like fridge/freezers 'humming', so much so I've had to get up in the night and go downstairs to shut kitchen and any connecting doors. Grrrr!

There's also been a bit of a debate on another discussion thread about Vit B causing anxiety. I know it smacks in the face of why most of us take it, but some of us have found it not so good an experience. My personal experience now, as an ingredient of Menopace = brilliant, no probs. BUT.... about 8-10yrs Al I thought I'd try some for PMS symptoms. NOT a good time for me - felt more stressy,y and a bit trembly. Bearing in mind I've never had to take any meds* at all really. I wonder if my reaction was the fact that I didn't actually need to supplement anything, and effectively I was 'over dosing' with it?? Who knows, but I stopped taking it asap.

Now: like most of the vits/mins I now get via the Menopace, I feel so much better for taking it, as I assume I must have been depleted in most of them by the time I started.

I really don't believe we can maintain adequate levels of anything at this time in our lives by diet alone. Not even on a 'religiously' organic diet! Besides, we're affected by so much environmentally, we'd have to live somewhere pretty damn special not be impacted!

Emmm, you know there's an awful lot of sense in on-line grocery shopping! But, alas, for me, as some ladies are affected by fluorescent lighting, too much time near a computer screen does my eyes/head in. Time to invest in a screen filter, me thinks!

Six

*don't run away with the idea I'm the picture of health: hardly, I just hate taking meds.. I'm one of life's 'born to be fat'-types (yep, I believe in genes playing a major role here. My 5'7", 9st 7lb 'skinny' little Dad seems to have shown up in my brother and eldest sister. Me: got exactly same body shape as my mums eldest sister: a bloody Apple!!! How I've stayed healthy amazes me. Maybe I was at the front of the 'good health' queue - cos I was defo at the back of the 'good looks' queue:-) :-) :-) !!!!

• Posted

Hello, hope you're well. I think our bodies somehow know what it needs & can sometimes be quick to let us know...I've always been in-tune with my body, I'm sensitive to what I take as in supplements/medication. I know I should be taking something for the constant pain in my hip, but...😖 along with other achy joints, I tend to make a lot of creaky 'old lady' noises when moviing around LOL sorry, no offence 😇 think I've forgotten what 'pleasant' noises are....oh my humour shall one day scorn me & strike me with a bolt of lightning! With all this hormone upheaval my body is now playing a different 'tune' & I can't keep up!

I got a little giggle from your last paragraph in your post " don't run away with the idea....."  I tend to take after my mum in lots of things, health, body type with roly poly extras, general personality & being 5'7"  but I think I missed the queue altogether for brains! & my eldest Sis takes after dad, she's very hardy n always goes 100 miles an hour...I tend to plod LoL her & I are like chalk n cheese.

Take Care, keep well 😊

Today has been another good day for me & felt quite well...only had a very minor funny moment which soon passed, sometimes with bad days I worry that I'll be in a permanent state of funny moments....well, it is me, I'm always in a funny moment! lol 

• Posted

Thank you Bobbins. This is very good food for thought. I think there is definite validity to this claim.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.