would increasing pred help

Posted , 10 users are following.

I had reduced my pred down to 11mg on 1 August, I have been reducing 1 mg a month, all been well, went to Cornwall with my Fitbit which I purchased since I was diagnosed  in March With PMR. I walked 10,000 steps going up and down  hills and felt great. All well until I fell in the shower this morning. I feel like I will never walk or move again the stiffness in my hips and backs of my legs  left shoulder and neck, is so stiff I cannot even Sit on the loo (sorry if I am affending  anyone) I just sat there with my husbands  help and cried  and did not know what to do. Took Paracetmal but still no relief.

Does anyone out there know would increasing the Pred help. Or has my system just gone into shock.

0 likes, 35 replies

35 Replies

Next
  • Posted

You may have hurt yourself with the fall - I have fallen in the past and it was the final straw for my back muscles and I developed whiplash. 

You could try a higher dose - just once and see if it helps. But a doctor's visit sounds called for. 

• Posted

It seems to me Margaret that you should go to A & E.  It doesn't sound as though upping your pred will help - that is mainly for inflamation.  You might have done yourself some damage that should be checked by a doctor.

• Posted

I agree with the others, especially as all was well until you fell. The fall, combined with walking and lower Pred, may be too much for your system to cope with but you may also have done some other damage which needs checking out. You must feel gutted but the sooner you know what's going on the sooner you can get back to where you were. You've proved you can do it once and that's what you need to hang on to. Please let us know how it goes. Hugs in the meantime (gentle ones!) 

• Posted

Marharet89358, I agree with everyone else get yourself check out, upping the Pred, if you have hurt yourself is the wrong thing to do!

Hang in there Lady!

• Posted

Margaret - sorry to hear that you had a fall.  Others have given the best advice about going back to your GP/MD for a check up.  One of the pitfalls is, as you feel better and start to exercise more, you tend to overdo it and assume you can go back to where you were pre-PMR - I know I had the same results (without the fall) and had to start a plan that increased my exercise 'very slowly' sort of DSNS for exercise.  As an aside once you are free of pred. you still have to take it easy in you exercises because the muscles still need to get back to 'normal' which will take some time.  I reached Zero in January 2017 and am still pacing myself!

• Posted

Such good advice!  I started what I thought was gentle exercise and bang - all the pre Pred aches started up. I've been on 20mg for five weeks and was thinking it time to taper, now I'm going to have to wait a bit longer. Hey ho! Nice of you to come back here when you're so much better. 😄

• Posted

What a great comparison!!!!! DSNS down for dose - DSNS up for exercise...
    • Posted

It probably is time to taper - the pred doesn't really help DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) so it should't be too much of a problem. But go about it SLOWLY!!!!

And go for a short walk - that will probably help the DOMS some.

• Posted

Timely advice again - thanks Eileen. May also have something to do with Federer withdrawal...😕😄

• Posted

I know - I had no idea what to do with myself the week after Wimbledon! If I were in the UK I think I would have to splash out on Sky - just to get the cricket as a substitute! Swiss TV does Federer and other tennis but they haven't found cricket yet :-(  The Italians do the 6-Nations rugby but that is binge watching every couple of weeks. Thank goodness for skiing etc - all our TV does that!

• Posted

It's really nice when you know you need to rest and there's sport to watch..

• Posted

Yeah - over here if you don't like football you're doomed!

• Posted

I only like the variety played by 15 men with funny shaped balls... redface wink

It isn't a lot different here - football, football or football some nights. We get Swiss, Austrian, German and Italian TV - and I have been able to find the same game of football on 4 different channels! I have been known to watch a World Cup game, but rarely before the semi-finals. I'd rather watch paint dry...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.