would increasing pred help

Posted , 10 users are following.

I had reduced my pred down to 11mg on 1 August, I have been reducing 1 mg a month, all been well, went to Cornwall with my Fitbit which I purchased since I was diagnosed  in March With PMR. I walked 10,000 steps going up and down  hills and felt great. All well until I fell in the shower this morning. I feel like I will never walk or move again the stiffness in my hips and backs of my legs  left shoulder and neck, is so stiff I cannot even Sit on the loo (sorry if I am affending  anyone) I just sat there with my husbands  help and cried  and did not know what to do. Took Paracetmal but still no relief.

Does anyone out there know would increasing the Pred help. Or has my system just gone into shock.

0 likes, 35 replies

35 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I agree with everyone's advice to get checked out by your doctor.

i have had a couple of more minor events.  One I really hit my funny bone (elbow) and normally this wouldn't be a big deal but I felt so ill i had to lay down and it took a couple days to get back to my PMR normal self. The second was more serious....I caught my thumb in a hinge (eventually lost the nail).   Again my body over-reacted and I felt like I was going to pass out and throw up. This time my body needed several days to get back to my "normal". 

My theory about what happens is that with our injuries our body can't produce more cortisol so we feel way more ill than we would prior to getting PMR.   Whenever I have one of these injury events I try to go into a total rest asap.

• Posted

Not a theory MrsCJ - absolutely spot on!!
    • Posted

We had stress this weekend.  Finally, after a couple of years af talking about it, my son took a day off work and he, hubby and I headed off to the countryside on what was going to be a pleasant daytrip.  We had no sooner pulled into the parking lot beside the Vineyard we were starting our day's adventures than our car literally went up in smoke.  As I stood there watching all this, having retrieved what I could carry from the interior of the car, I suddenly reaized I was going to have to sit down somewhere or collapse on the ground.  Moments like this make one so aware that you are not really a completely healthy person any more.  Anyway, sitting on a big rock under the trees with a nice view over the Annapolis Valley while my menfolk dealt with the disaster was all I needed.  

• Posted

Nobody need that kind of stress, especially with PMR. How are you doing today?
    • Posted

I kno! You get lulled into a false sense of security, feel you're on top and managing, have what you would think is a 'normal' day - and suddenly you're exhausted and feel you can't move a step. And that's not when something shocking happens like a car blowing up!! Hope there are no ill effects today!

• Posted

Hi Michdonn.  The car issue has been up and down.  the collision centre we went to first said there was something melted on the heat shields and they surmised layers of rust protection, and sent hubby home with the car, having cleaned it up.  He checked with the rust protection company and they said they'd never heard of such a thing, suggested he go to dealer for second opinion and get back to them if there ws a problem with the rust protection.  Dealer said it was in fact a protective layer on the heat shield which had melted, and that some of the wiring had been damaged.  

PMR wise I've had a nice visit with a locum for my regular gp, someone who showed much more interest in how I was getting on and expressed concern that my inflammation markers are somewhat elevated (they always have been although much beter than at diagnosis).  She went so far as to say I should have the blood tests done while she was still in the practice so that I could see her again, and she would discuss results with me.  This makes me feel a lot more supported.  While I've always been grateful to my gp for taking me on as a paatient and diagnosing me apparently accurately and allowing me to manage my own dosage, she hasn't really given me any other support or helped with any of my concerns (skippy heartbeat, aches in legs, injured shoulder, inability to regain weight, etc).  I hadn't realized just how insecure I'd been feeling until this other doctor was so supportive and apparently actually interested in what I've been going through.  Wish she was going to be around permanently.  

• Posted

That is a shame Anhaga, good caring doctors are very hard to find, take advantage while you can. Good luck Lady, keep smiling! 🙂

• Posted

Hi Anhaga,

i live in BC, and about a year ago we flew to the Maritimes for a couple weeks for our first visit.  I remember the Annapolis valley.....it's so lovely there.  If u r going to have travel issues, at least u had a very peaceful location!

i believe that is where there is a winery that has a red London phone box out in the middle of the field of grape vines. You can call anywhere in the world on the phone, which of course we had to try!  And the food there was very good, too, and served on a patio overlooking the valley. 

We hope we can visit the east coast again!

• Posted

Hi MrsCJ.  That was the vineyard!  Lucketts.  We had got there, parked, after noticing the car labouring up the incline to get there, and a smell and smoke, or steam, coming off the hood.  So we thought we'd need to let the engine cool down, wandered down the slope to the red phone box thinking we might call my brother in law and wife (they live in BC) but there was someone using it, so we wandered right back to the car, only to find people there with fire extinguishers, frantic because they were afraid the car might explode into flames, and they couldn't find the owner!  So as the menfolk started to become involved I retrieved what I could from the car interior and stood there rather helplessly, and suddenly thought, I'm going to have to sit down or I will collapse.  I found a big rock under some trees and sat there, sipping from my water bottle and enjoying the very lovely view and thinking maybe we'd been lucky, if something were going to happen we were safe and no one had been hurt.

• Posted

" I'm going to have to sit down or I will collapse."

Adrenals objecting to stress...

• Posted

Yes, this has become a rare but recognisable part of my life....
    • Posted

Yes, unfortunately that is part of this illness for me.  The trick is for me to recognize it's starting to happen....and to do things to stop the progression.  Like resting, taking deep breaths, removing myself from the bad environment, etc.  

Yesterday someone sent sent me an email that wasn't very nice - a dispute over an issue at the golf course - and it arrived just before my bedtime.  So of course I couldn't get to sleep as I mulled over all my options for facing her this morning. Stress + adrenal issues = a day with more fatigue for me. Ugh!

PS:  this morning she totally ignored me so I tossed and turned for nothing. Sigh...

• Posted

It happens to me every 2 or 3 weeks, unfortunately - and if I don't sit down I faint.  Hospitalised 3 times because of blackouts in public places.  Doctors can't find out why I blackout.

• Posted

This isn't just to Constance:

It is your body telling you that it isn't back to normal yet - but especially to those on under 10mg and who have got off pred in the last up to a year (or more). But that doctors either don't think of it or ignore it is not a good sign!!!

• Posted

It really is disturbing, isn't it?  I haven't actually keeled over, the worst really has been the need to just stop moving and rest, which is inconvenient if you are only halfway home from a walk!

• Posted

Had exactly same reaction some time ago over civic issue - nothing directed at me personally but it was upsetting.  From that I learned to avoid stress.  As I tell hubby sometimes I have to pick my battles.  For example I can argue that we should not be filling in the harbour and building highrises all along the waterfront because if enough citizens speak up this is somthing which can be changed.  On the other hand I can get upset about the way the engineers are redesigning our water/sewage infrastructure.  
    • Posted

had to leave quickly, hubby wanted his computer, before proofreading - I can't and won't get upset about the engineering inadequacies....

• Posted

The. "only half way home" doesn't bother me much as I never go out of the house without my walker, which means I can sit down whenever necessary.  I bought one the second time I was hospitalised after collapsing in a publc place (some 'kind' individuals insist on calling an ambulance (they mean well I know, but if I can struggle home somehow I don't need to spend two weeks in hospital)!!!  Now I sit down wherever I am and REST before it gets too bad.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.