wow ! !

Posted , 14 users are following.

I have to share this as I cannot beleive what has just happened,  I am 24 days post tkr and I have just ACCIDENTALLY walked across the room without crutches, I now have hope that it will eventually all be ok,(but I am too scared to try it again ) 

4 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

You did it once, now do it again! Don't put the brakes on now, girl. Be positive!!!

Denise from Oz

• Posted

I am trying to pluck up the courage to give it another go, it does make me wonder how much  is physical and how much is in my mind. Certainly makes you think !
    • Posted

I think it's a bit of both. Give it another go. If you don't feel comfortable doing it again leave it for now and try again when you do feel confident. Onwards and upwards 😉😉 xx
  • Posted

I thinks its mind over matter.  at 2-3 weeks when I needed to get up in the night, even with two crutches I could not move my left foot forward  for love nor money. Eventually realised if I moved it to the side then I could start moving. Stupid isn't it.  Now I don't even consider taking my crutches up stairs when I go..slowly..  dilemma...do I go on both crutches to see the consultant next week?  
    • Posted

I think it depends what he told you to do in the first place!  I went to the six weeks consusltation with both, but I was walking fine without them at that time, and in the consulting room he asked me to walk across it with no crutches . . probably best bit of walking I had done since the operation!  I was impressed with myself!  I suppose I gave him the impression I was totally back to normal, which is still not true (14 weeks!)  Anyway, he said. . no more crutches!  Still take them with me if I'm going to places I don't know though, because I do need them going down steep steps. . . OK going up.
  • Posted

It does make you think, doesn't it? At 12 days post op my physio told me to walk without the crutches, no hand holding, nothing! If I'd been on my own, I couldn't have done it, but with her standing there, asking me what was the problem, I was too embarrassed not to walk. Haven't used them since. You're on the way, now, and we're all there with you.

Denise from Oz

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.