Wrist Fracture

Posted , 4 users are following.

Is there any golfers out there who has had a broken wrist? Will i golf this year? Desperate to get back!!!!! Please someone cheer me up.

I did it  on May 3rd and really fed up. Had to have it reduced and in plaster cast for 6 weeks painful but coping its the stiffness that wirries me.

1 like, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi

I broke mine on 30/12/15. I am a keen triathlete so needed to get back to swimming and biking asap.

I had k wire suregery a week after and in a cast until 17/2/16.

When the cast qnd wires were removed it looked and felt week. I got onto physio asap. I was sensible and followed advice of the consultant and physio but within 2 weeks I was back training (lightly).

Within 4 weeks I was on a trg camp where cycling and swimming were the main feature (about 30 hrs over the week).

Now other than a bit of stifness it feels as good as ever and like a thread by Sally on a broken wrist says you forget you have broken it.

I don't play golf (I am rubbish!) and I appreciate its a bit more impact on the wrist then my sports but I would be comfortable playing now with no pain.

Make sure you do what exercises on the wrist you can now while in the cast (goodle if you dont have them off hospital) and get onto physio and exercises as soon as you can when the cast is off. Use a splint but not for long as you become reliant on it.

I think sport helped my recovery a lot. I also 100% belive you will be playing golf long before the end of the year!!

Of course take th advice of your consultant over anything online but I am sure you will be back.

Somebody on the forum aslso mentioned a parafin wax bath for recovery - I got on off ebay for £40 and it did help with me.

Good luck and I hope this gives you some hope!!

• Posted

Hi Ian

Thank you for your advice this is all very new to me. I will try and get a physio but all  I get is conflicting advice from different Drs.How long did you have physio for?

This has given me hope and thank you for taking the time to reply.

Regards Wendy

• Posted

I was fortunate to know a physio who charges reduced rates for me (still expensive) but it was worth it to get going. I had about 3 sets with him.

In the meantime I saw another consultant on a follow up who was surprised I had not had physio (NHS) - I did not mention that I was also sorting one out. I was then referred and that kicked in a couple of weeks later.

All in all about six sessions over six weeks.

• Posted

Brill I will look into finding one tomorrowbiggrin I will work hard on it - just need to know what I am doing is correct and that I wont do more damage.

They do have conflicting ideas at the hospital it all depends on which Dr you get.

• Posted

Hi Wendy. I broke my right wrist on Jan 13th and had 2 reductioms. First one dodn't work. Then I had a partial pot for about 10 days as there was a lot of swelling. I then had a pot to my elbow. I was off work for 10 weeks in total and the worst parts were at the beginnìmg when I couln't do anything and thèn again when the pot was removed. I had some physio sessioms and got back to work once I could drivé safely. This was March 23rd. It was a bad break and I had a lot of pain and stiffness.

My advice is to move it gently as soon as you are able. Be patient and persistt with the physio.

You may find your upper arm and shoulder are painful. Mine were but I am still workimg to reduce the stiffness.. Building back the flexibility of the wrist iitself takes time. You don't mention your age.....I am 61......was not impressed by being referred to as a 60+ particularly as I will not get my pension until 66!! Good luck with getting back to your golf....give it time! Mags

• Posted

Thank you  Margaret for your lovely response this has certainly helped me and I really appreciate it. I too am 61 yrs old but like to think I am still 18 ha ha!lol  My shoulder is fine but yes my upper arm is painful and my wrist if I twist it still makes me feel sick. Yesterday I went to our local hospital and had the plaster cast cut  as my fingers were swelling this has made movement of my fingers a little easier. I hope I get physio!!!! Please can we keep in touch I have never done anything like this before so thank you, Wendy x 
    • Posted

Hi Wendy. Yes, it would be nice to stay in touch.

I found it really hard to deal with being so dependant on others at first. My husband was an absolute rock and my son and daughter made me laugh at my clumsiness.

The best advice I was given was to move my wrist and fingers gently and often. My fingers were like fat sausages and are still a bit swollen. I had a lot of pain on the little finger side of my hand and numbness in my thumb. It is a lot better now.

Please be strong about having physio. I think you have to be assertive when you deal with the NHS . Don't be fobbed off. Tell them about your wish to continue to play golf!!

Please feel free to contact me......even if you just need to witter a bit!

We need to help and support each other.

• Posted

Hi Margaret

Thanks I would like that very much.

Yes  everthing you are saying is how I am or how I am feeling.

I find it very hard to ask people as I am an independant person and I find it so hard to ask when I know everyone is so busy. Anyway got this far so will roll on for another couple of weeks will be glad to get this heavy pot off. 

I have been to my GP this morning and asked her to book me some physio and she said she will so feel as thought I am getting somewhere now.

Talk again soon and thank you.

• Posted

Sorry.....your reply went to Spam!

I am going to see my GP this week as my wrist has started to "click" and it is a bit sore and swollen although the movement I have is getting steadily better.

I think this is all about the waiting....by nature, I am not very patient!

I have no physio now but am still doing the exercises!!

• Posted

Hi

Sorry to hear that let me know how you get on. My fingers are still like sausages and everyoneis  commenting but the powers that be said it's normal  anyway we will see what they say on Tuesday it's 6 weeks since I did it but not since I had op so not sure if they will take cast off!!!  How long did it take you to get rid of the dead skin it's yucky and any tips?

• Posted

Hi Wendy, Am going to see my doctor next Mon to get some blood tests done. I already have an all clear from the osteoporosis clinic!

Evidently they are checking me for arthritis now!!

Hey ho!

Back to see the doctor on the 27th.

For your dry skin, try coconut oil. I used the variety in a jar initially and then, for my bag I got some from the Body Shop. Less messy!!

I feel like I am going backwards just now. My wrist is very stiff! Clunky!

Hope your swollen fingers are going down. I found the pure coconut oil made my wrist warm. It was like it gegerated heat.

Mags

• Posted

Hi Margaret

I am sorry that you are having more tests it just goes on and on but hopefully they will get to the bottom of it. Is your Dr caring?

My cast came off today and boy is my wrist and hand numb and swollen how soon did you have physio after?  Thanks for the top about the oil I will get some. 

I just wish they would get things organised it's going to take ages to get to physio on the NHS. And left to your own devices you just don't know if what you are doing is right.

Oh dear - Wendyfrown

• Posted

How  are you getting on. I would like to give you my e-mail address so we can chat better would that be okay? My cast is off now but in a lot of pain !!!

Wendy

• Posted

Hi Margaret

It's me Wendy I am still having problems it's my fingers that will not bend I have had 14 weeks now of Pysio and still cnnot hold a golf club (Pretty Fed Up) never thought this would happen to me.I am working hard on it as well so here's hoping but still sick !!!! How are you coping these days has everyhting settled down well for you.

Luv Wendy X

• Posted

Hi Wendy, I call my right wrist "Clunk"! It is stiff and I cannot rely on it not to give way. It is very weak. I spill stuff and have strange sort of spasms of pain across the back of my hand, in the veins and tendons.

I can close my fingers now to make a fist and can hold a pen though writing with a pencil is easier. I couldn't punch anything and getting up from a low seat is still an issue.

I have pain in the muscles at the top of my right arm most days which is worse when I am typing or driving for a while.

• Posted

B....y H..II it's a problem isn't it who would have thought that a wrist can cause all these problems.  I am fed up of it all.

Please keepin touch.

Luv Wendy x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.