Wrist Fracture

Posted , 4 users are following.

Is there any golfers out there who has had a broken wrist? Will i golf this year? Desperate to get back!!!!! Please someone cheer me up.

I did it  on May 3rd and really fed up. Had to have it reduced and in plaster cast for 6 weeks painful but coping its the stiffness that wirries me.

1 like, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I fractured my wrist badly in 3 places and shattered another bone with a collies fracture back in mid feb this year. I had my wrist manipulated twice, surgery with k wires put in and in cast for 7 1/2 weeks. I kept my arm above heart height at night and kept my fingers and shoulder moving during the day. I kept working at my cake business and did everything the doctors asked. When the wires and cast were removed I had a session of physio then it was up to me. I regained 90% of movement one way and 70% movement back the other way within 4 weeks. At my 6 week check after the cast was removed I had 100% movement back one way and 95% back the other way. Im now at 7 weeks post cast and am doing 99% of everything again including tennis. Dont stop exercising when in cast, elevate your arm high as much as possible and push like mad when u get the cast off! Good luck ☺☺
    • Posted

Brill thanks for replying. I feel I have been left to my own devices and scared I was doing more harm than good but hopefully it comes off on Tuesday and then we can see where we are up to. I seem to be in more pain now then when I first did it and my fingers are very very swollen !!!

Not heard about Physio but will pay and go private and I work for the NHS!!!!!!!

Worried Me frown

• Posted

Hi Wendy. Yes that would be fine.

I was wondering how things were going with you.

I have been to my GP and am having some blood tests done as my wrist is very tight and uncomfortable. I go back on the 27th for my results.

I am finding it is slowing me down a lot and I am worrying about falling over. So silly. but it has made me feel quite fragile!

Sorry to hear you are experiencing some pain.....it is the lack of support and protection from the pot.......you feel so vulnerable but it does improve.....slowly but surely!

Chin up! Golf is waiting for you!

Margaret

• Posted

Hi

Start physio tomorrow but not happy with things hopefully I can ask them. Feel in limbo land this is harder than I thought it would be.

Good luck with blood tests please let me know how you get on.

Wendy x

• Posted

Hi Margaret

How did you get on with your blood tests? My thoughts are with you

May I ask you how long did it take for the pain to stop after your cast came off? as my pain is bad and fed up of taking pain killers.

Wendy

• Posted

Hi Wendy, I am not keen on taking pain killers but I do remember being shocked by the increase in pain once the pot came off. I know I took some tablets on the first day and night. The nights were very uncomfortable for a couple of weeks.It will ease honestly.

My blood tests were "fine" , whatever that means. You asked me if my doctor was caring......yes but I am seeing different doctors in a large practice.......lack of continuity!! I may need some more physio evidently but it seems to be up to me to sort it . I just seem to be going backwards at the moment. Bit frustrated!

• Posted

Hi Margaret,  Glad to hear blood tests were fine. I don't like their termonology "Fine" what the H..l does that mean?

I feel that I should stop the painkillers now but it is painful I am scared they have missed somthing!!

I cannot my move my fingers they are just stuck and doing exercises frequently. Going to Physio agin tomorrow will ask again then but they don't say a lot it's as if they don't understand that a little reassurance would go a long way. I am no wimp but this has been a horrendous experiance made more difficult by the medical profession not communicating properly.

I undestand your frustration because I feel exactly the same.

Wendy x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.