X-ray knee results show Bone to bone help

Posted , 6 users are following.

Had issues with steps as I climb them a lot had X-ray got a call over weekend from dr saying it's bone to bone she going to start with injection??? Really not like needles is there a better way !!!

1 like, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

If I were you, I would go with the injection and see if it helps.  If you are now bone on bone, the definitive treatment will be a total knee replacement, but if you can avoid that for a while with injections all the better. . . I don't think the injections are really that bad . . I had something similar in the shoulder, and although unpleasant, not really a bit problem.  the total knee replacement is really not your first option as long as you can avoid it, but if it comes to that, well after a few months you'll be as new again!

• Posted

Wow thanks really don't want either but guess injection it will be the Dr. Office has called! Set up next wed before holiday she said must stay off of it 36 hours heck is never sit down much lol that will be hard

• Posted

PS: SynVisc is NOT an immediate painkiller...takes a few weeks to get the full effect.
    • Posted

You should be getting these injections in three separate injections a week apart or else all at once will really really hurt.   I like to call them jelly shots cuz of the cushioning they provide.
    • Posted

Oh gosh I don't know how many I will get hoping for none but really thought it was 1 but I'm new to this

• Posted

The sinvisc shots lasted 12 months, but the euflexxa only 3 or less.  They give you a numbing agent as well as a numbing shot after that so the actual injection is not a big deal.
  • Posted

If it's bone to bone, then ultimately you will need a knee replacement.  I had a few Synvist injections, and they weren't bad.  Just don't look.  Mine were effective for 6 months.  I was told that you can have a maximum of 3 before problems start to occur.

I finally decided to have a TKR, even though I was a couple of years away from really needing it.  I'm 60, and I figured that I'm not getting any younger, so I might as well get it over with because the younger you are, the quicker you heal (generally speaking).

I'd suggest having it done once, then seeing how long it lasts.  If not very long, schedule the TKR.  You're only prolonging the inevitable.

• Posted

Thanks for the encouragement good to hear from those that's been through it !

• Posted

1. Yes you will eventually need a knee replacement.

2. SynVisc worked for me for many, many years.  Three shots (days 1, 8 and 15) and you're good for up to a year.  GREAT way to put off a TKR...for a while.

3. Consideration...  I did my TKR at 68 while I was still strong enough to do the rehab.  I would NOT put it off until I'm 80 or more.  If you're younger, the goal of PT is to give you back full range of motion, rebuild your strength and walk normally so you can go on with your life.  At 85, the goal of PT is to get you from bed to the bathroom, the kitchen and back to bed again.  Not much of a life but then again, the elderly almost exclusively (yes ythere are exceptions) cannot do the intense rehab required for a full recovery.  Think about that.

So consider age, pain and recovery in your decision.  A couple of needle sticks should not influence you...ever.

• Posted

Thanks for your advice I'm 54 and so busy just had some female surgery hate to need more wow hope to try this injection and put off TKR if possible I was shocked to find this out but up and down steps hurt terrible and knee feels like it pops out just about taking me down! Thanks again

• Posted

Hi Debra

I had a bakers cyst on my left knee 15 months Ago had a injection then and ok ish but had tkr 7 wks ago I'm only 57 and cycle and play golf 4 times a wk new knee feeling lot better walked 8 miles last Friday old knee struggling new 1 getting better daily , I was told 2 young 2 have op but persisted big advantage being younger and active if cortisone doesn't wk get it replaced

Good luck

Take care

Rob x

• Posted

Wow awesome great to here your doing good with it! I'm 54 and very busy hoping this will help with pain I don't like taking meds at all

Thanks for your encouragement

• Posted

Re meds

I was off coedine 2 wks after op , but on exercise bike 2 days after u must push it a bit 2 fight scar tissue & get your Rom it's not easy but providing u stay positive you will b fine

Rob

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.